Student Loan Forgiveness Not Happening! The Gravy Train Is Over! Biden Administration Confirms Student Loan Repayment Will Start In February!

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
I suspect this "gender studies" stuff is an exaggerated meme. That sounds like the pursuit of some well-off youth with the luxury of burning time like that. Actual middle to lower class people are not going to f*ck around and will likely get some form of a useful degree.

I knew one guy that did a gender studies degree but he paired it with a fintech major.

AbdiFreedom

Staff Member
Only dumbasses (and lazy dumbasses who didn't work) have to take student loans. Grants and bursaries should be able to fully pay your tuition if you maintained an 80% average back in my day (probably 99% today due to extreme grade inflation and participation trophies). I always sent back the loan portion of what was given to me as it was way more than I needed.

Apollo

VIP
Yeah even in UK, bachelors degree isn’t enough and doesn’t hold the weight it did 30/20 years ago. You need to take a masters now and have some experience through internship to bag a good paying fixed job

This is only true for Social Science BAs.

STEM BSc' still hold their weight in the job market as they haven't been oversaturated.

Apollo

VIP
BSc in Psychology, Neuroscience, Biology are useless

Psychology is 75% Social Science. Only the statistics courses are the hardest part of a psychology program.

Neuroscience, I can't commend on, it is not that common of a degree.

Biology is the easiest traditional science and it is too broad on its own.

The reason why employers still favor STEM BSc holders and they still can get good jobs just with a BSc is because it is a lowkey IQ test certificate. They are assured they aren't dealing with a dumbass, while with a Sociology, Political Science, Humanities etc BA graduate this is much less of an assurance.

Only dumbasses (and lazy dumbasses who didn't work) have to take student loans. Grants and bursaries should be able to fully pay your tuition if you maintained an 80% average back in my day (probably 99% today due to extreme grade inflation and participation trophies). I always sent back the loan portion of what was given to me as it was way more than I needed.
You must be hella old. In the past 5-6 years my province has been stingy with the bursaries and scholarships. I looked everywhere and the most I could get was 2500 which wasn’t enough. Had to take out loans. I work in a high ROI field though so it should be paid off in 5 years max

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
You must be hella old. In the past 5-6 years they’ve been stingy with the bursaries and scholarships. I looked everywhere and the most I could get was 2500 which wasn’t enough. Had to take out loans. I work in a high ROI field though so it should be paid off in 5 years max

You and @AbdiGaalDoon live in blessed Canada unlike your godforsaken neighbours.

To the best of my knowledge, Canada doesn’t have six-figure degrees.

Psychology is 75% Social Science. Only the statistics courses are the hardest part of a psychology program.

Neuroscience, I can't commend on, it is not that common of a degree.

Biology is the easiest traditional science and it is too broad on its own.

The reason why employers still favor STEM BSc holders and they still can get good jobs just with a BSc is because it is a lowkey IQ test certificate. They are assured they aren't dealing with a dumbass, while with a Sociology, Political Science, Humanities etc BA graduate this is much less of an assurance.
In north America, graduates with these degrees can't get jobs in the field unless they're at the master's or PhD level. They're also the STEM field women dominate, no coincidence. The real money making STEM fields are still predominantly men.

Apollo

VIP
In north America, graduates with these degrees can't get jobs in the field unless they're at the master's or PhD level. They're also the STEM field women dominate, no coincidence. The real money making STEM fields are still predominantly men.

Most psychology related jobs require high emotional intelligence/good social skills, since you need to work with people and not things.

Women have higher EQ than men, but generally high EQ jobs pay less than jobs where you have to work less with people (think engineers, accountants, IT, lab workers, geologists etc.).

AbdiFreedom

Staff Member
You must be hella old. In the past 5-6 years my province has been stingy with the bursaries and scholarships. I looked everywhere and the most I could get was 2500 which wasn’t enough. Had to take out loans. I work in a high ROI field though so it should be paid off in 5 years max

Yes, I am 49 and in Ontario. My tuition was around 5500-6000 per year.

You must have not been on the Dean's list. Anyone with an over 80% average had their tuition fully paid by bursaries and scholarships alone and then sum. Just 1 scholarship alone paid off more than half of my tuition (Queen Elizabeth II scholarship which was $3500 per year). I was actually paid to go to school due to the grants and bursaries and scholarships being more than my tuition.

AbdiFreedom

Staff Member
Anyone who complains about tuition costs and student loans has exposed themselves as a dameen and a dhoqon.

I vividly remember what I got every year.

$3500 Queen E II scholarship
$1000 University scholarship
$2500 other OSAP freebies

I spent my surplus on weed, liquor and shisha on weekends.

Anyone can go on the government website and see the huge amount of money they give students with just a slightly above average work ethic. They're offering over $10K a year in Queen Elizabeth II scholarship to graduate students from what I see now. That's even more generous than what we got. They can buy a used car with the surplus.

I am going to ask a trick question in interviews to determine how intelligent job seekers are: how much did you pay in tuition and how much are your student loans? If it's a number other than zero, you will not even get a rejection email. Get out of my face. You couldn't even bother to apply yourself even just a little and you want to work here?

Hybrid()

Death Awaits You
That’s why student loans are a big issue there.

Its crazy over there.
90+% of undergraduate somalis don't spend a dollar on tuitions. I used to get an extra $2770 every semester after all my tuitions and fees were paid for by my financial aid.

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
90+% of undergraduate somalis don't spend a dollar on tuitions. I used to get an extra $2770 every semester after all my tuitions and fees were paid for by my financial aid.

Two questions.

1. What are the universities Somalis generally attend in America?

2. Just because Somalis get an easy break doesn’t mean the system isn’t fucked, right?

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
Anyone who complains about tuition costs and student loans has exposed themselves as a dameen and a dhoqon.

I vividly remember what I got every year.

$3500 Queen E II scholarship
$1000 University scholarship
$2500 other OSAP freebies

I spent my surplus on weed, liquor and shisha on weekends.

Anyone can go on the government website and see the huge amount of money they give students with just a slightly above average work ethic. They're offering over $10K a year in Queen Elizabeth II scholarship to graduate students from what I see now. That's even more generous than what we got. They can buy a used car with the surplus.

I am going to ask a trick question in interviews to determine how intelligent job seekers are: how much did you pay in tuition and how much are your student loans? If it's a number other than zero, you will not even get a rejection email. Get out of my face. You couldn't even bother to apply yourself even just a little and you want to work here?

Yes, because what you listed applies to majority of people in America. Are you dense?

Face it, to attend a quality university in America, you need pay a shit ton.

This isn’t Canada in which UoT and McGill cost next to nothing.

AbdiFreedom

Staff Member
Yes, because that applies to majority of people in America.

Face it, to attend a quality university in America, you need pay a shit ton.

This isn’t Canada in which UoT and McGill cost next to nothing.

I believe the poor folk and the slightly above average intelligent and higher folk get their tuition paid off full there.

America is raaxo for the poor. They just got to be hard workers to benefit from it.

In America, you can be broke one day and get a $100K salary the next day. You don't have to work that hard to get there.

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
I believe the poor folk and the slightly above average intelligent and higher folk get their tuition paid off full there.

America is raaxo for the poor. They just got to be hard workers to benefit from it.

In America, you can be broke one day and get a $100K salary the next day. You don't have to work that hard to get there.

Maybe for some universities.

But if you want to attend a world-class university, that’s not the case.

If I wanted to attend a uni in America that has a similar rating to UoT, I would probably pay through the nose.

Hybrid()

Death Awaits You
Two questions.

1. What are the universities Somalis generally attend in America?

2. Just because Somalis get an easy break doesn’t mean the system isn’t fucked, right?
Most Somali households are in the low income bracket and therefore quality for financial aids but the US higher education system is fucked indeed.

AbdiFreedom

Staff Member
Maybe for some universities.

But if you want to attend a world-class university, that’s not the case.

If I wanted to attend a uni in America that has a similar rating to UoT, I would probably pay through the nose.

There are full scholarships at Ivy League schools you know.

Trending