Stories on stones: The hidden rock engravings of Abourma in Djibouti

In french language

In english language

There is an hypothesis that the Northern clans predecessors spoke a language similar to Saho-Afar. The Northern dialect, which is the Standard for Af Maxaa Tidhi language, uses DH-curled-tap in many words, just like Cafar and Saaho. Southerners pronounce it like a regular rolled R

cidhib vs cirib
adhax vs arax
badhi vs bari

The worst is xaadha vs xaara

Af dhuulka xaadha vs Af dhulka xaara

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
There is an hypothesis that the Northern clans predecessors spoke a language similar to Saho-Afar. The Northern dialect, which is the Standard for Af Maxaa Tidhi language, uses DH-curled-tap in many words, just like Cafar and Saaho. Southerners pronounce it like a regular rolled R

cidhib vs cirib
adhax vs arax
badhi vs bari

I've read about that theory. Christopher Ehret, to my memory, is the main proponent. It's worth noting that there isn't any proof of a substratum in the northern dialects or any dialects of Af-Maxaa as far as I know and the influence of Saho-Afar on the northwest dialects is apparently as an adstratum which means that they came after and not before.

cidhib vs cirib
adhax vs arax
badhi vs bari

Adhi vs ari
Gabadh vs gabar
etc

cidhib vs cirib
adhax vs arax
badhi vs bari

This retroflex consonant (ɖ) is also used in many South Asian languages like:
Hindi
Bengali
Malayalam
Tamil
Telugu
Nepali
Punjabi
Urdu
Pashto

I think Somali and Afar are the only Cushitic languages that use it , and it isn't unique to the Northern dialect (it might be used more in waqooyi ) , but it's found in all MaaxaaTiri , I don't know about Maay, though.
words like :
Dhul
Dhabad
Dhaawac
Dhimasho
dhabar
dhagax
Dhalad
Dhaqan
dhibaato

and so many others.

This retroflex consonant (ɖ) is also used in many South Asian languages like:
Hindi
Bengali
Malayalam
Tamil
Telugu
Nepali
Punjabi
Urdu
Pashto

I think Somali and Afar are the only Cushitic languages that use it , and it isn't unique to the Northern dialect (it might be used more in waqooyi ) , but it's found in all MaaxaaTiri , I don't know about Maay, though.
words like :
Dhul
Dhabad
Dhaawac
Dhimasho
dhabar
dhagax
Dhalad
Dhaqan
dhibaato

and so many others.

You missed the part where I mentioned flap. Af gogol xaadha has that flapped dh where as AfGogolXaara turns the flap into a rolled R. Thats big big Cafar/AfMaxaaTidhi feature lacking in Southern dialects from Mudug to Muqdish

here is a short list

gaadhi vs gaari
caydhi vs cayri

AfMaxaa Tidhi vs Af MaxaaTiri

Trending