(some) Somalilanders with minor South Asian on 23andMe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Factz

Factzopedia
VIP
^^ Do the really Benadri really have Portuguese or Spanish ? I know some folks returning from Andalusia may have settled in the coast , but I always thought the Portuguese myth was just that .

The South Asian in the Horn is probably from Balochistani “Persians “.

If you learn history. The Portuguese were defeated by the Ajurans twice in the battle of Barawa and in the battle of Benadir and the ones who weren't killed in the battle were captured and enslaved by Ajurans for many years and when they embraced Islam. They were absorbed into the Benadiri community. As for Spain, they were Spanish Muslims at that time and the Muslims from Spain were fleeing from the Inquisition. They mostly settled in Mogadishu and mixed with the local Somalis and the mixed cadcad ones are generally grouped as one people since they come from different diverse of lineages.

Plus, they are allies since you need tribes to survive in Somalia so that's why you'll find Benadiri sub-clans having different lineages from different Arab countries, Persian, Indian, Portuguese, Greek, Spanish, Turkish. It's ridiculous, but the major ones are Arabs, Persians and Indians, respectively.

^^ Do the really Benadri really have Portuguese or Spanish ? I know some folks returning from Andalusia may have settled in the coast , but I always thought the Portuguese myth was just that .

The South Asian in the Horn is probably from Balochistani “Persians “.
Some of them do have Portuguese.

During Sharmarke's, the great HY warlord, conquest of Zeila, many Turkish and Arab concubines were taken. Not to mention Isaaq Merchants and sailors marrying foreign women from nearby ports for centuries.

Some of them do have Portuguese.

The ones who have done DNA testing are basically 40-50 Somali , the rest Middle Eastern /Southern Asian and some minor Bantu . All the other stuff and supposed Iberian doesn’t really show up . Even if a few Portuguese showed up in the Horn , it certainly wasn’t enough to leave a mark . Somalis
Love perpetuating the Portuguese decent myths .

Last edited:

Factz

Factzopedia
VIP
The ones who have done DNA testing are basically 40-50 Somali , the rest Middle Eastern /Southern Asian and some minor Bantu . All the other stuff and supposed Iberian doesn’t really show up . Even if a few Portuguese showed up in the Horn , it certainly wasn’t enough to leave a mark . Somalis
Love perpetuating the Portuguese decent myths . Those fellows burned some many towns on the coast and many people were forced to survive on the mainland .

Some Portuguese troll is editing Wikipedia but they only sacked Barawa and we were able to defeat and repell them and rebuild the town while they didn't reach Mogadishu since all their ships were destroyed. I will fix the bullshit tomorrow.

Cumar

Ilaahay Gargaaryeey Gabiley Qurux Badanaa
VIP
What is up with that?

I have seen a couple score above noise level real South Asian.

Did Hindi merchants influence some of them?

Both Warsangeli (Ugayslabe) and Habar Jeclo (Reer Dood) were well documented to have assimilated Indians into their tribe so it would make sense that these results start popping up.

World

VIP
Both Warsangeli (Ugayslabe) and Habar Jeclo (Reer Dood) were well documented to have assimilated Indians into their tribe so it would make sense that these results start popping up.
Ugayslabe is a standalone tribe, they’re not Warsangeli just live with them. Not sure about HJ though, could be true.

Ugayslabe is a standalone tribe, they’re not Warsangeli just live with them. Not sure about HJ though, could be true.
It really depends were your ancestors were from, somalis native to the Awdal have higher chances of indian or arabian admixture than a somali from gedo region.

Because it is mainly all about contact, I have a fact Did you know they are tribes that have names of military protocols due to the dagal between ahbash and muslimeenta

Cumar

Ilaahay Gargaaryeey Gabiley Qurux Badanaa
VIP

There is also the Reer Muhammad who flip flop from claiming Warsangeli to Habar Jeclo as well.

Screen Shot 2018-05-29 at 4.40.20 PM.png

During Sharmarke's, the great HY warlord, conquest of Zeila, many Turkish and Arab concubines were taken. Not to mention Isaaq Merchants and sailors marrying foreign women from nearby ports for centuries.
The highest turkish admixture is an absame tribe called Jiidwaaq and ither somali tribes, because they lived in the vilyat of harar which was a ottomon state. They are many cases of mixing during the 16th to 19th century

Apollo

VIP
Dude it’s not just Somalilanders. All the ethnic Somalis im related to on 23andme have some south Asian in them.

The Somalis I am related to (almost all Somalilanders or Darods) don't have any South Asian.

You could have a different type of sub-population you are related to.

Sultan

I am the Sultan
There is also this tribe Sheekhaal that looks like regular Somalis, but has a South Asian paternal lineage R1a1a and they claim to be Banu Hashim, lolz.

Do we have R1a1a among the Somali,and what do you Ogaden Y DNA ?

It isn't Somali at all. Just found in one tribe who got it from a South Asian migrant.

The migrant was Abadir Umar ar-Rida, the saint of Harar.. His brother, Fakr ad-Din, was the first Sultan of Mogadishu. They were Arabs.

https://wikivividly.com/wiki/Abadir_Umar_ar-Rida

"Ar-Rida is the main figure in the Fath Madinat Harar, an unpublished history of Harar in the 13th century. According to the account, he along with several other religious leaders traveled from the Hijazregion of present-day Saudi Arabia to Harar in 612H (1216 AD).[2] Ar-Rida subsequently married a Harari woman, and constructed the city's Jamia mosque.[1]"

Under "Harar":

"Harar emerged as the center of Islamic culture and religion in the Horn of Africa during end of the Middle Ages. Abadir was met by the Harla, Gaturi and Argobba, abadirs brother Fakr ad-Din subsequently founded the Sultanate of Mogadishu. According to the 14th century chronicles of Amda Seyon I, Gēt was an Arab colony in Harla country, during the Middle Ages, Harar was part of the Adal Sultanate, becoming its capital in 1520 under Sultan Abu Bakr ibn Muhammad. The sixteenth century was the citys Golden Age, the local culture flourished, and many poets lived and wrote there. It also became known for coffee, weaving, basketry and bookbinding and his successor, Emir Nur ibn Mujahid, built a protective wall around the city. Four meters in height with five gates, this structure, called Jugol, is intact and is a symbol of the town to the inhabitants."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending