(some) Somalilanders with minor South Asian on 23andMe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apollo

VIP
What is up with that?

I have seen a couple score above noise level real South Asian.

Did Hindi merchants influence some of them?

Apollo

VIP
How much we talking? :farmajoyaab:

Are they Warsangeli?

2% to 5%. Very low levels. But anything above 1% usually isn't noise and is real.

I think this may have to do with merchants in Zeila or something.

Vast majority of Somalilanders don't have this, but I spotted a handful who do.

World

VIP
2% to 5%. Very low levels. But anything above 1% usually isn't noise and is real.

I think this may have to do with merchants in Zeila or something.

Vast majority of Somalilanders don't have this, but I spotted a handful who do.
What's the cheapest personal genomic service? Or should I just go with 23andMe?

Apollo

VIP
Am I right to feel paranoid and a bit iffy about taking one of these tests? :hmm:

Lol, they constantly ask you to fill out surveys and provide phenotype data about yourself so they can make new discoveries.

But their phenotype/health stuff is designed for Europeans. It doesn't work on East Africans. It says I'm lactose intolerant, but that's only because they registered the Euro variant on there and not the Cushite variant.

World

VIP
Lol, they constantly ask you to fill out surveys and provide phenotype data about yourself so they can make new discoveries.

But their phenotype/health stuff is designed for Europeans. It doesn't work on East Africans. It says I'm lactose intolerant, but that's only because they registered the Euro variant on there and not the Cushite variant.
What about cousin matches and disease risks? Are they effective?

I feel paranoid doing a test, my relatives did they got 5% South Asian I am paranoid if I will get more than them. I want no Mughal curry spices plus I am broke.

Apollo

VIP
@Amun Firstly what's your tribe and your DNA, I am lactose intolerant too but not intense.

I'm not lactose intolerant. I can drink milk just fine. I meant that the SNP on their trait panel is the European one and not the Cushitic one, so it will tell Somalis they are all intolerant when it is not the case.

I'm not lactose intolerant. I can drink milk just fine. I meant that the SNP on their trait panel is the European one and not the Cushitic one, so it will tell Somalis they are all intolerant when it is not the case.
Oh okay but I am still intolerant though, the first part was left unanswered. I will assume you are Marexan or Hawiye.

Factz

Factzopedia
VIP
@Amun these Indian merchants settled on the coast of Sanaag and there is this tribe that look like cadcad. They intermarry with reer Sanaag especially the coastal ones so don't be surprised if they have this small percentage of spices.

Apollo

VIP
@Amun these Indian merchants settled on the coast of Sanaag and there is this tribe that look like cadcad. They intermarry with reer Sanaag especially the coastal ones so don't be surprised if they have this small percentage of spices.

low South Asian without West African = usually a Zeila merchant influenced Somalilander
high South Asian with minor West African = always a Benadiri

New technique to tell where a person is from.

World

VIP
low South Asian without West African = usually a Zeila merchant influenced Somalilander
high South Asian with minor West African = always a Benadiri

New technique to tell where a person is from.
Do these Zeila merchant influenced Somalilanders have elevated MENA levels?

Apollo

VIP
Do these Zeila merchant influenced Somalilanders have elevated MENA levels?

Not really, it is a chunk of South Asian that differentiates them.

I think Somalia has more South Asian influenced outliers than Yemeni influenced outliers.

World

VIP
Not really, it is a chunk of South Asian that differentiates them.

I think Somalia has more South Asian influenced outliers than Yemeni influenced outliers.
It may be a Northern Somali thing. And if so, it could be pre-Islamic. We do know that Somali merchants were the middle men(as well as Yemeni/Omanis) for South Asians and Romans/Egyptians/Greeks in the lucrative cinnamon trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts