Somalis worshipped Almaqah not Waaq [THEORY]

No doubt about it. Isaaq has no "Waaq" in its genealogy nor do any of our settlements have any connection to this so called Waaq

unlike other 'Somali' clans. We were peaceful loving worshipers of Almaqah before we were converted at the sword by the savage hordes

to Waaqism.

El padrone

Hedonist, Depressive realist, Existential nihilist
Its good OP says this is theory. no need to get triggered yall. save your energies for Eid celebrations

Why would it need to be filtered out? Why do you assume pagan practices are all bad? All the bad was filtered out in Islam, its not in the Quran (shirk). All the bad was filtered for us in the revelation but people will always err and do what they want, people have their own minds/decisions.

Are you asking why God didn't make us all knowing and sinless? There will always be different sects and opinions we are individuals with our own minds who get to choose who and what to believe follow or not follow.

No one is saying its an islamic symbol

TooMa'aan has a point in that if The Moon stands for symbol of paganism, then it should be condemned as pagan ritual. But the reality is, there is no such beliefs Islam left in tact and incorporated into it from previous Arab Culture. The history of the crescent and star is posted above. She can check herself the links.

No doubt about it. Isaaq has no "Waaq" in its genealogy nor do any of our settlements have any connection to this so called Waaq

unlike other 'Somali' clans. We were peaceful loving worshipers of Almaqah before we were converted at the sword by the savage hordes

to Waaqism.

No one converted Somalis by the Sword. Our great grandfathers were Monotheistic people who found ISLAM to be in line with their beliefs and they accepted it at contact.

Also, Isaqs are a mixture of somali clans, half of them Dir the rest like Hawiye and Darood, educate yourself.

No one converted Somalis by the Sword. Our great grandfathers were Monotheistic people who found ISLAM to be inline with their beliefs and they accepted it at contact.

Also, Isaqs are a mixture of somali clans, half of them Dir the rest like Hawiye and Darood, educate yourself.

And you must be half oromo half zanj?

TooMa'aan has a point in that if The Moon stands for symbol of paganism, then it should be condemned as pagan ritual. But the reality is, there is no such beliefs Islam left in tact and incorporated into it from previous Arab Culture. The history of the crescent and star is posted above. She can check herself the links.

My point is its not from Islam I'm sure most people know this (muslims), other than that it doesn't matter. There is no controversy surrounding this among muslims, its not part of our beliefs people just like to use that symbol to rep muslims the way they use other things to rep other religions. Its not that serious to be condemned just explain what it is.

TooMacaan

VIP
Also, the star is known as the Solomon's Shield in reference to Prophet Solomon. It is just symbol like many other symbols such as Shahada in calligraphy, the black flag etc used in the Islamic and Oriental world way back. It is not pagan practice adopted into Islam because that would contradict the strict monotheism of Islam.
It was adopted by Muslims, although not mandated by the Qur'an. Whether it would contradict the monotheism of Islam is in itself a question that I, also, was wondering about. You happen to believe it would...other Muslims, do not.
Why would it need to be filtered out? Why do you assume pagan practices are all bad? All the bad was filtered out in Islam, its not in the Quran (shirk). All the bad was filtered for us in the revelation but people will always err and do what they want, people have their own minds/decisions.

Are you asking why God didn't make us all knowing and sinless? There will always be different sects and opinions we are individuals with our own minds who get to choose who and what to believe follow or not follow.

No one is saying its an islamic symbol
I personally don't care whether it's filtered out or not since I'm not a JW, or a purist in general; I also partake in so called "pagan holidays" so I don't assume that "pagan practices are all bad" either. Yes, it is not mentioned in the Qur'an specifically, but whether adopting the crescent is shirk or not may differ based on which Sheikh is asked perhaps...? And yh, although God has already set the proper guide lines for us...at the end of the day, people do indeed have the freewill to choose which path they take.

I'm more so curious why people continue a tradition that seems fairly easy to eliminate...I don't believe it's a matter of outright refusal or disobedience, but maybe a matter of ignorance, or laziness to change familiar routine...idk. They are picky about other things (which may seem just as irrelevant), so why not this??
Define pagan beliefs? ofc gods greatest creations and signs will be the symbol of his religion just like how you would put your skills and qualifications on your cv.

its just coincidence and obvious to those ppl that these symbols had significance
Pagan beliefs are pre-Abhramic faiths that involve worshiping nature and are usually polytheistic. Yes, we should respect God's creations but worship them?? No. The pagans saw the moon and sun not only as a vessel to worship God but rather, they prayed directly to the sun and moon...and the symbols used were a representative >to show their faith to the sun and the moon (it was not used as a sign for the God which created it all). This is worse than idolatry.

My point is its not from Islam I'm sure most people know this (muslims), other than that it doesn't matter. There is no controversy surrounding this among muslims, its not part of our beliefs people just like to use that symbol to rep muslims the way they use other things to rep other religions. Its not that serious to be condemned just explain what it is.

TooMa'aan may have heard about Robert Morey's Moon-God being Allah Myth propagated online by Evangelicals and others with ill intent. This claim started with that guy. So, I can understand why her or someone else who is non-Muslim may think there is some legitimacy to the Moon God being Allah and wanting to hear from Muslims provide counter evidence.

TooMacaan

Read this link below dear and explore the topics it has. It is good website written from academic perspective about many issues Islamic in nature.. Quran history, Textual integrity, and many topics/polemics that you may find very useful.

You are too smart to be a chrstian if you want my honest opinion. Use your brain and follow logic and reason within Faith,

Start here for the Moon God topic

http://www.islamic-awareness.org/Quran/Sources/Allah/moongod.html

Then these other topics in that same website:

http://www.islamic-awareness.org/

Message me for any questions you don't want to ask in public to avoid arguments if you want. If you prefer public, will reply to you when I am around.

Ciid Wanaagsan as a somali sister.

IMG_7648.jpg

The Islamic calendar (or Hijri calendar) is a purely lunar calendar. It contains 12 months that are based on the motion of the moon, and because 12 synodic months is only 12 x 29.53=354.36 days, the Islamic calendar is consistently shorter than a tropical year, and therefore it shifts with respect to the Christian calendar.

The calendar is based on the Qur'an (Sura IX, 36-37) and its proper observance is a sacred duty for Muslims.

The Islamic calendar is the official calendar in countries around the Gulf, especially Saudi Arabia. But other Muslim countries use the Gregorian calendar for civil purposes and only turn to the Islamic calendar for religious purposes.
The names of the 12 months that comprise the Islamic year are:

1. Muharram 7. Rajab
2. Safar 8. Sha'ban
3. Rabi’ al-awwal (Rabi’ I) 9. Ramadan
4. Rabi’ al-thani (Rabi’ II) 10. Shawwal
5. Jumada al-awwal (Jumada I) 11. Dhu al-Qi'dah
6. Jumada al-thani (Jumada II) 12. Dhu al-Hijjah

You are culturally illiterate judging from this comment. Go look up the meaning of my username before

you resort to boorish behavior.

This topic is above your intellect bro. Take a seat and learn something. The clan section is the next door on your left.

You are culturally illiterate judging from this comment. Go look up the meaning of my username before

you resort to boorish behavior.

Gilgamesh was bisexual and was in love with his best friend (whom he mourned his death for long time)

Last edited:
@InfoMatic Thats where I'm guessing its coming from the moon god thing. Ive told her it has nothing to do with Islam but she's asking why we don't remove it from Islam, I think the link about the history of the symbol should help.

Maybe I'm not explaining it well, I'm over this topic though.

@TooMacaan I hope the links he's shared helps

TooMacaan

VIP
Lol, I think we're all done with this subject so this will be my last post regarding this.
To clarify:
I have never claimed that the crescent is officially a part of Islam according to Qur'an, nor have I claimed that it was mandated by Allah.
I have never heard of Robert Morey's works nor have I ever claimed that the moon god and Allah are the same. I have no ill intent either.
The only thing I've said is that some Muslims have incorporated the crescent symbol, [which originally had pagan roots], as part of their identity (whether intentionally or not, I don't know,...my guess is that most today do it unintentionally).
That's all.

Lol, I think we're all done with this subject so this will be my last post regarding this.
To clarify:
I have never claimed that the crescent is officially a part of Islam according to Qur'an, nor have I claimed that it was mandated by Allah.
I have never heard of Robert Morey's works nor have I ever claimed that the moon god and Allah are the same. I have no ill intent either.
The only thing I've said is that some Muslims have incorporated the crescent symbol, [which originally had pagan roots], as part of their identity (whether intentionally or not, I don't know,...my guess is that most today do it unintentionally).
That's all.

Hi Sis, don't let people's hostility get to you and assume everything is about you. You are a Somali sister after all regardless of your religion. And you are very respectful non-mulim member of this forum compared to some others who are also non-muslim.

You are very reasonable. Only issue I noticed is how you think sometimes people are aiming at you when they aren't. Be cool as you were always :nvjpqts: It is good to have you around.

@InfoMatic I hope I didn't come across that way, if I did it wasn't my intention @TooMacaan , it was nice talking.

Toomacaan will tell us which one of us she was referring to in her reply. I think it was me because I used the word "ill-intent" lol. She is paranoid a little and I don't blame her. We generally are in attack mode as Somalis.

I am always worried for others here who are not 100% similar to us in some ways. We can't even debate without demeaning each other amongst ourselves stubborn nomads.. It is expected then others who are sensitive about being different somehow will be on guard always.

This topic is above your intellect bro. Take a seat and learn something. The clan section is the next door on your left.

Someone who doesn't know Gilgamesh has no right to be talking about intellect.

Think twice before you say something stupid as Isaaq being made up of Dir/Darod/Hawiye if you want to be taken serious.

Trending

Latest posts