Somalis should adopt surnames

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's really hard keeping a track of so many similar named people, especially distant cousins. I have to have a notebook for my father's side of the family alone. We should just have proper surnames instead of the patrynomic surnames we have now.

I have a surname, it's the name of my great grandfather. I thought everyone's name was like that? :cosbyhmm:

I don't think it's necessarily going to combat the issue with similar sounding patrynomic surnames lol my surnames pretty common and generic

Apollo

VIP
In Saudi Arabia, some of the Somalis use surnames like Al-Somal, Al-Sumal, Al-Darod, Al-Hawiye and silly shit like that.

In Saudi Arabia, some of the Somalis use surnames like Al-Somal, Al-Sumal, Al-Darod, Al-Hawiye and silly shit like that.

I think those are Somalis who migrated to Arab countries a century ago .
They are keeping their name as a sign of Somali ancestors.

Apollo

VIP
I think those are Somalis who migrated to Arab countries a century ago .
They are keeping their name as a sign of Somali ancestors.

A lot of them have only been there for a generation or two. It's just some Gulf custom. They have people named Al Turki, Al Bukhari (Uzbeki) etc as well.

I am stopped at airports (outside Somalia) because criminals have my name. Its very humiliating. Having your father and mother as your last name would stop things like this. It would also be respectful for your mother who gave birth to you

Abdi Zamzam-Rageh would be better.

My kids will have my name and my partner's name.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts