Somalis' Sewn-boats

@Al-Ma'mun @The alchemist @Hargeysa @Som @Clllam

Any future posts I do will be more on the smaller fishing boats and accounts, models and images I've seen on those as well as descriptions of them and their size and I'll also try to get into medieval and classical accounts of sailing and fishing along our coast. If I never get around to doing so on this thread I'll inshallah blog about it or make a YouTube video someday. For now I hope exploring this part of our heritage was interesting.
I think it’s a great idea to compile all the documents in one place.

It’s really interesting to read about Somali seafaring history. These threads are helpful but it can become confusing with the back and forth. As an observer you’re not always sure of person’s true intentions with the selection and presentation of source material.

Thanks! Could you link me the sources for each of these? Wanna download and keep them on hand. I'm still working on my posts sometimes. I keep getting sidetracked. Will post them soon. There's a lot of info to share. But this is good stuff. That adds Massawa to the list. So from the sources I've found Somali dhows went to all the following locations in the last 200 or so years:

• Aden
  • Mocha
  • al-Mukalla
  • Muscat
  • Dubai
  • Sharjah
  • Jeddah
  • Bombay
  • Mombasa
  • Zanzibar
  • Mauritius

And now that adds Massawa. So they went everywhere from India to the Red Sea to the Persian Gulf to the Swahili coast. Quite a range.
My grandfather Allah yarxim owned a day in Xamar and would go from Zanizbar to Kuwait the last journey they took was in the late sixties.

Hamzza

VIP
@Shimbiris I don't know if you have seen this but it looks interesting. Trading Dhows of the various ports in the Northeast of Somalia and their respective owners.
imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-rtPM5yYZMrz.jpg

Trending