Somalis' Sewn-boats

Please DM him or go to his page directly. Don't want this thread derailed. I'm preparing at least 4 posts I've been delayed with for about 2 months now. Found a lot of other early modern sources on Somalis and seafaring, even ones including the Isaaq and reer Koonfur to some extent and loads on Hartis all ranging from the start of the 1800s to the early 1900s.
Waiting like

Happy Spongebob Squarepants GIF

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
Even henry salt in 1809 talks abot somali boats doing traffic in the red sea between mocha and massawa.

Thanks! Could you link me the sources for each of these? Wanna download and keep them on hand. I'm still working on my posts sometimes. I keep getting sidetracked. Will post them soon. There's a lot of info to share. But this is good stuff. That adds Massawa to the list. So from the sources I've found Somali dhows went to all the following locations in the last 200 or so years:

• Aden
  • Mocha
  • al-Mukalla
  • Muscat
  • Dubai
  • Sharjah
  • Jeddah
  • Bombay
  • Mombasa
  • Zanzibar
  • Mauritius

And now that adds Massawa. So they went everywhere from India to the Red Sea to the Persian Gulf to the Swahili coast. Quite a range.

Hamzza

VIP
Thanks! Could you link me the sources for each of these? Wanna download and keep them on hand. I'm still working on my posts sometimes. I keep getting sidetracked. Will post them soon. There's a lot of info to share. But this is good stuff. That adds Massawa to the list. So from the sources I've found Somali dhows went to all the following locations in the last 200 or so years:

• Aden
  • Mocha
  • al-Mukalla
  • Muscat
  • Dubai
  • Sharjah
  • Jeddah
  • Bombay
  • Mombasa
  • Zanzibar
  • Mauritius

And now that adds Massawa. So they went everywhere from India to the Red Sea to the Persian Gulf to the Swahili coast. Quite a range.
https://books.google.so/books/about..._button&hl=en&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q&f=false

Hamzza

VIP

• Aden
  • Mocha
  • al-Mukalla
  • Muscat
  • Dubai
  • Sharjah
  • Jeddah
  • Bombay
  • Mombasa
  • Zanzibar
  • Mauritius

Add ras al khaimah to this

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
Alright. I found yet more Early Modern sources on Somalis and seafaring. I actually found the bulk of these many, many months ago when I found a lot of the stuff earlier in this thread when I was first digging but got sidetracked and had to take a break until finally getting to post now.

This source is speaking of the first decade of the 1800s here and mentions Somali sailors and traders going to Arabia to sell their goods:

KCI6rNpJrDhtFhF6tHRHoq-DXGGBHbRu6RBATcm2o8XIK9YMQ7rBEruRG-gwDKZvPtWi0cLcmUzXrJdPWoIGWADGEZB9T2_v-J5Vno30tq9dyN6TvIjew0fjCm8Av8Q453z9tmj4ZLvHChyixDAyjL6GpPZmy0PQYvZ3zAlcaI3EqO_JSdH7A4okdg

This source from the 1820s mentions that the British ended up signing a treaty with the Habar Awal who controlled Berbera at the time that contains the following articles:

Article 2 [A]ny vessels bearing the English flag which may come to the port of Berbera (or any port under the authority of the Sheikhs of the Habr Owul [Habr Awal] tribe,) for the purpose of trade shall not be molested or injured, but shall receive every protection and support from the said Sheikhs, that they shall be at liberty to enter into any trade they may think fit to choose, and that they be at liberty to depart from the said port at their pleasure without impediment, injury or molestation.” Article 3 It is agreed that in like manner any vessels or persons belonging to the said Sheiks of the Habr Owul [Habr Awl] tribe which will come into any port belonging to His Majesty the King of England shall receive protection and support, and be treated in all respects the same as other vessels or persons trading to those ports.

Article 3 It is agreed that in like manner any vessels or persons belonging to the said Sheiks of the Habr Owul [Habr Awl] tribe which will come into any port belonging to His Majesty the King of England shall receive protection and support, and be treated in all respects the same as other vessels or persons trading to those ports.

This was sparked by how the British at this time were basically worried that the Habar Awal were taking on the piratical looting habits of the Majeerteen to their east and Qasimis in the Persian Gulf as the Habar Awal apparently attacked a British brig at Berbera's port and looted it.

The source further talks about how the Haji Ali Sharmarke of the Habar Yoonis we encounter in Richard Burton's writings was once a Dhow ship's captain:

Shurmarkey Ali Sualeh” was not a member of the Habr Awl tribe. In official reports and the travelogues of colonial officials such as Richard Burton, this “friend and unofficial agent of the British” (Burton 1856: 121), a local Somali of the Habar Yunis clan, Haji Shurmarkey Ali Sualeh [Shirmarke ‘Ali Salih] emerged as a key figure in the Mary Ann affair. A former dhow captain turned successful businessman, Haji Ali intervened and rescued the survivors of the brig, an act that secured him the gratitude and cooperation of the British. Working within the local institution of abaan (protection), Haji Ali transformed himself into a protector of British interests in Berbera. This act allowed Haji Ali to reinvent himself from businessman to political powerbroker, gaining a seat at the negotiation of the treaty between the British and the elders of the Habar Awal clan, thus allowing the Habar Yunis, an entry into the profitable Berbera trade. It was this status as protector that eventually saw Haji Ali working for the Ottoman Empire and becoming the governor of Zeila.

This lines up pretty well with how the Warsangeli in the mid 1800s describe a past of competing with Isaaq sailors who did seemingly also exist as early as before 1825-1827 by the looks of it. Then there's this source where the man spent several years in British Somaliland during the late 1800s largely around Berbera from what I recall and he literally defines "Dhow" in his book as:

"Dhow. Large sailing boats used by the Somalis for trading across the Gulf of Aden."

While recounting the following story:

To the west of the town of Hais, eight miles or so en route to Shelao, there is a small hill called Sheikh Mullah Baili, as the spirit of the Sheikh is said to reside therein, although there is no mosque or other monument in his honour there.

"An amusing story was told to me by a Somali who, while travelling in a dhow from Hais to Berbera, was scolded by his ** nahouda ” for not throwing something into the water as an offering as they sailed past this revered hill. On the Somali pointing out that he had absolutely nothing to throw overboard, the nahouda assured him that anything, however trifling, would do, such as some of the hair cut off7 his mule’s tail, or a small corner off his own'“ tobe ” So superstitious are these nahoudas that they firmly believe that unless they throw in something as a peace- offering to the Sheikh as they pass, their dhows will stop moving until they have done so."

** Nahouda. The captain of a dhow.

Though he shares an interesting fact which is that, apparently, during his time in the late 1800s the Isaaq seem to have possibly experienced some sort of decline in regards to seafaring as the Warsangeli and the Majeerteen are more dominant in this respect:

It is a curious fact that so few of the tribes inhabiting the coast regions of British Somaliland should be engaged in the dhow traffic across the Gulf of Aden. From the earliest times, the entire trade seems to have been in the hands of two tribes, the Warsangeli and the Mijertain; for some years certainly the Musa Arreh subtribe of the Habr Yunis were in possession of a few buggalows, but they do not appear to have taken very kindly to seamanship or to have been very successful, as the trade has once again almost entirely lapsed back into the hands of the above two tribes.

MCdtf2_aXaUJNFS-1kqnCaE0VbuXcF3JcvgtEmH98qogG6zctp1_WWz_qYQ8oaNOkz9l70ZlyN6ogG5--ukKcmRj5aSPHluWLvWzqbBcr8wV04WI4ZZXcfNNpRWAxOQOqaKxcL6XhnSm1vVrzpJaooxd6OADc4LMk7jeuarX5T66aVnCZ34f6GjAew

"Buggalow/Baghlah" type Dhow
fnqShS3OyZyuq8OPXRFKWJAYQFk-78nderiw-H-hm93mk13eTErSm9Gju4yUzLMEy-9eaeCU5AT3cHiziVbwwlX1fUIddaRtzUXhYqleGuYsYZqlnOxakvx3_ynhku7WP-ZkYQ2DibvVq0-KiSO0c9yMj1raMsuzwpZWY7pdfznl_ljSEqNiSdK_lA

An unclear image of a Somali Baghlah from the late 19th century. Described in the book as "A large sailing boat with high prow, such as seen conveying dates between the Persian Gulf and the Red Sea ports."

post to be continued...

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
... post continued

I also found this earlier source on 1855 while googling around:

3UgS3ElFdMYEHrmYXxewNL0PsIsZAYyP1hzmGn-76Er4OAF1g1mF-EaGIyOBJDvjDWUhMWvU8ItTX_qQ65cl4eP94U-TOptaCFdkARSXqkfqh_JGufBF2eqPJiAITMzK6MGqrtIdbgS9CK-yVk33rGFdYzGU49oYm50eHNPmngK95xr8pSDTrPhI8Q

Got curious about who the Somali sailors were as Kurrum is Karin which is in the Saaxiil region and is historically a Habar Jeclo stronghold. Realized I have the primary source in this case although it is sadly not fully digitized and you can't just do a ctrl+F; nevertheless, I found the chapter where he goes to Karin and found out the tribal origins of the Somali sailors he is sailing with:

ucv49yqPcprHwCiA8I8KHcuoL-DUSPdmCe_ldYwechjcd4r2bueqX46Y_pUANFrMe9P1GQrTZ8t585PvdDJPcQkLIMEJA-4GflBGu67nRx4f75RFwZzIOChuVXVUpoI6UatOWWEgN9wcLy7JAJNWn5ElLKIs9z8Q_ojKOaXNGDt8mQMbtMMNmqvO1w

So Habar Jeclo sailors confirmed right there (Garxajis (Habar Yoonis) was already confirmed). He's also sailing in a Baghlah with these Somalis, a quite large dhow. And, interestingly, he points out the following:

C6YqgkKy1nnX3q9tQ5NRCClxlRkwKqjXmNaPC0id3YHYlLbhPQIlUtZLvi_BaOeb24AYIEA-tzq27njk3AHghTLEfB10yOuMsPTTrJ7Nznj0Dz_uMpZqG1OVV1TqZS2wOlCKZwZjuuPO7SRDtA69DGFgDKS7IAuE1vq3_UfIdig64d8EtCKGRqKgtQ

Kinda fits with what I've noticed throughout my research which is that sailing wasn't necessarily always some closed familial practice like fishing could be with some Somali coastal communities such as the reer maanyo in Koonfur but was something often practiced by anyone. There's more than one account, some of which I've shared in this thread, of young boys of nomadic origins just joining a Dhow crew and learning the trade like that.

It's also cool that Speke, about a century before Pankhurst, also casually repeats that Somalis are generally a seafaring people and from what he was seeing in the mid-1800s it was very common among Somalis know how to sail. I'll give his book a full-read someday. Pretty sure he has more to say on Somalis and sailing and I'm going to have to conduct a full read since ctrl+F isn't an option.

And a bit of a throwaway along the Isaaq clan vein, there's this quote from Cali Dhuux in his poetry from first half of the 1900s:

68tOVJdLiYtS5fFeNe0_WZxhmr070FJ5EN9t_gcI13JEyFQ31GbV-wzFT134d6U0bXqYErWQW6bRCsVTfoRQuRRDGybNAraLTGR-Wl8r8JU4wLVq9VCVPEmWdPTEM_WI0FB_PALBYClEFSsJAwDuIED4hU9GPyngeIIx0PBL1avc0E5OdLZOs4My4g

Interesting as Cali Dhuux was aware of Somali society from around the late 19th century to the first half of the 20th century so it says something that he casually incorporates things like this into his poetry. That, to him, it's that casual a thing to mention.

Post to be continued...

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
... post continued

But moving on to those earlier mentioned Northeastern tribes, I found yet another source that talks about Hartis going to Koonfur from the north via sailing:

Trade through Lugh was dominated by the Garre and the Gasar Gudda; while Kismayu and the mouth of the river Juba came under the control of the Herti who had taken no part in the defeat of the Wardai, only sailing from Berbera to Cismayu once news of the Ogaden victories had reached the north.

Adding to that there's also the case of Sheikh Haji Ali Majeerteen (1787-1852) who apparently had 5 boats he brings down to Koonfur but in this case to Marko in 1847 that carry 150 of his followers alongside a substantial quantity of firearms and ammunition numbered at 40 rifles and 4 cannons with the intention of forming a colony near Marko whilst eventually allying with the Bimaal against the Geledi:

0UuLLygrejR_9yAIZBHO1B8XKmgi3uuKlilnustYhMPB3acEvz_3shZLQoC8SgOuu1fyklUuzZ4nyd9anGOXwq2iXMUCalNrTMIWmDurGC8ioTQ8B20ci4iJz7LAjX1zINsvEX9wty_VhX0bRNyIUTlmURYuaqveQMc1afKEMOKWFUmzHbutRoc3og

zuELAmZyGI3V_zq_3fIyE2Vflg7JpkgY1MeEs9xXR_xizNwmzsQQvAOZFTyVfu0-xfHqowwYpf5Pu-izfw-CIuiLW90xxqcPH53nJfoHFqJXFYVw7fIdLxUO998NGlq0mzwUchibXANmMgdmO3LMjI9H55CkrQlnjhMaixWlLz1biDaEdhpMEeOrDw

zQ01Vdme6H37VdOjTFZaNZPiIjxKTa9G-HSiG_pi0FEdl0isk0CZgmP9kLs7qzpbOWOUbx61e0m3BoVqIprshnyAa-wPW5pq4Ame-KCpMpKUOsCnl6P2PpVgw8aFog1I4hxZihD4uxHH9I4tDXYvuBARIPvZRuWshRI-q0qvJ3n4CuDCsxUSrR_XHQ

The above mentioned Sheikh Haji Ali Majeerteen

There is no mention anywhere that I can see of the boats being foreign in anyway and seem to just carry his followers, who were mainly of the Majeerteen like him, whom he had some intentions of forming a colony with. In fact, the numbers add up perfectly. He brought 150 followers with him and 5 Dhows. A lot of Somali Dhow crews seemed to number at about 30 people like in the case of a Baghlah so 30 x 5 = 150.

This source also coincides well in time-frame with the source I shared above and one I shared in the previous page talking about Majeerteens generally sailing down to Koonfur in Dhows along with another source that shows that around this time in the 1800s is when Majeerteens like the Cusmaan Maxamuud begin sailing quite a bit across the Indian ocean going from Koonfur to the Kenyan coast and even Zanzibar whilst also taking Kismaayo via the sea:

Fnfoh_QqTyhlB4cBAXhU1Pn5SxJUJL_SGnLgICuz07bg0a5_RJexFwH8RdWFNXSyZ86DWYl1uoLpIaB6rgcn9VueDLrphkVkfOe4ngNXbHrgVlOWi87INQoGPxRxia7F1aqDhz1E8LLypVPade_H7PJVSGm4OftDrNCYTiPzm7dcwavXV10qdPeb4A

TalG8WhnbE1YeU5m_e4zjehQTyVuzEZMExbeoTER71qzVkS6WNOrT293KGWH0JadHoXlNO1nmY5wAMqI5Ty1RbY0fjU3Q1GdK9C63HUWiiPEu9r4xNrcxeBoIUsJKvYe__v8yvXnkcIdXfzHD9qVzlotOat6QDY3grrgsYhRcTGTqDiCB1BN_aOOog

1XGmIMBtEgScQ-k_sWJYAh_DSwXWADGjotg_ATqt8GJcCIZ6GD4hFHJeiEu0njNe9VVxiw3r8XgxZ4bmYCC1dveHis0wsx60fujcymyWSG3Z1FvxI6MYQT2SdGpXSZw6JV1V93CQdCAXvuX_Xd4i3iPqLqTVxiWNGxGhUl6NS-521x4mfJrJGFA-hA

A very intriguing source as it actually points to seafaring and trade among Somalis in this period affecting their land migrations in that the pastoralists had to migrate due to how large their herds had become for the purpose of exports. This even in part caused environmental disasters that killed many people. Aden was also apparently very dependent on these sorts of livestock exports from places like the Northeast and Woqooyi Galbeed:

There is no need here to recapitulate the history of the British seizure of Aden in 1839 and its consequent development from a place of very little note in the early nineteenth century to an important outpost of the British Indian empire. Nor need I reiterate the well-known dependence of British Aden on the livestock trade of northern Somalia for fresh meat. Even before that demand was created, however, there were Somali residents at Aden. When Arbuckle visited there just before the British occupation, he found Somalis among its much reduced population of "no more than six hundred." This should not surprise us, for by the 1830s Somalis were probably resident in many of the major ports of the Arabian Peninsula. The earliest evidence of this Somali diaspora dates to an eighteenth-century French plan of Mukha, which clearly indicates a "Quartier des Somalies" outside the town walls to the south- east.8 More typical, perhaps, was the familiarity with Somali traders from Berbera that is revealed in James Bird's notes on Mukalla in 1833. There can be no doubt that Somalis were both active traders to the Arabian Peninsula and willing to take up residence there when the British established colonial rule over Aden. - source

Before this the prospect of a canal through the Isthmus of Suez had led to an increase of European activity in the area and this had worried the authorities in Aden and their masters. The French had taken a spasmodic interest in the Red Sea since the eighteenth century. In 1734 Admiral La Bourdonnais attempted to buy the peninsula of Shaykh Said, the extreme southwestern point of Arabia and in 1805 they contemplated occupation of Kamaran. Forty years later there were rumours that they were seeking bases either at Mokha or Massawa and in 1849, when the Turks occupied Kamaran, the French tried to make arrangements to use it. In 1852 British intrigue amongst the Somali tribes prevented the French from establishing themselves at Obock and even managed to secure for themselves a foothold in this area. The Somali coast was of great importance to Aden for, right up to the withdrawal of 1967 it supplied its population with meat and was its main source of labour. In 1856 and 1857 French warships were active in surveying both sides of the entrance to the Red Sea and it was believed that if the Canal were indeed opened, they would attempt to occupy the island of Perim. The story was often told that French warships on just such a mission put into Aden but, when their purpose was discovered, the Resident made their officers so drunk that their sailing was delayed until the British had raised their own flag on the island. Whether or not this is true, Perim was occupied in 1857 and a lighthouse erected there. -
source

keEB4JcL8tqz1Abuxybg9RX2bu4EUrHxPxUwlSYxxjt9RTc5xLTOjTWpjdpRTjdtByGxaltN7IkrU_d9tcMzcxQEgXknsUkKdjDcOfK6EM2yyfw5V2AC_pGk8YEFubeEZrJTcseCdQsPWs_cRsGLwXy3MfqxqUDhGetsvf_W3eXNFWqsqGC60nC2nA

-source

The previous source talking about Majeerteens, as you can see, also posits that the Cusmaan Maxamuud in particular begin to really venture to far away ports like in Tanzania around the mid 1800s onward but we know from a Portuguese source I've shared in the previous page of this thread along with others like one I shared above that Somalis are at the very least confirmed to have sailed to the Arabian Peninsula decades before this like the start of the 1800s and by 1815 where in the latter case the source is speaking specifically of people from around Cape Guardafui (MJs).

Post to be continued...

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
... post continued

Apparently, as one of the sources I already shared points out above, Somalis even had a whole quarter of Mocha to themselves by 1764:

RetoJpCmkM36vANWRumzEJCnUXEKDNENJ8FHpD-eM5Keulcr6Uph192dqz5GKwKNOKVI9CbFrJ8qH36FBwyxox2KL17xdpUfFDJR7B44-AUPfSdMtdzolTF54R-8dNnvAMwjQJtFBgD4yumLK7FWrQ6802EmckTztRQrwjXJU1Zzu8_5zEooAw77zw

Wouldn't be surprised if they got there through their own vessels as whenever there are descriptions of Somalis going to places like Yemen or along their own coast, as you've no doubt so far seen, it's mostly pointed out to be in their own boats, and sailing to Yemen already seems firmly established by the start of the 1800s. Though one other interesting tidbit from that source I noticed, and have seen elsewhere before, is that by the 1840s there is a Harti subtribe, the Kabtanle, who are specifically known to be focused on seafaring:

gHTm_WXQqIfKH-K_kGTpiEqMagss_tpRJOt1RdOS6BYKkFhpI5fLT0vPiADuUPxJpoSZa5Ximhsxz-CLfNWrHb9tlTk9UaA7V0T1nbGili6ds2EsLyECMKt0QT9lc0MbLFYBFqUJIaYBZrg4kYIta8YZlV1H2VrCEJIVx6vDupeem2-SX5BCk2P_gA

Just to add to all this reer northeast sharing, here's also a source on Yusuf Ali Kenadid and his life as a sailor, captain and Dhow owner whose own son also owned a seafaring Dhow:

But back on the subject of travelling to Arabia on ships sailed by fellow Somalis, I found an interesting source on Somali folktales and stories from around the 19th and 20th centuries, and more than one story in it references sailors or sailing but one in particular caught my eye.

This story is a well-known one as it was the first story published in Somali when it was standardized and written using the Latin script and is titled "Ignorance Is the Enemy of Love" by Faraax Cawl:

Q7tgqhsAhVNqtbu3HEF7nnuKbOKGghqQeOGginxOOtLJ-Aw-ypbaUxtFXxhTjEzbtselgBjQqZbyj5uMOWK-7c6OY-zw1bauvTlCw2Ebov-YuFmTMoJvHL2yuLYnLwHxShack0NfZrX_BS44BJwCqvUeBt0XRPuD0LMXJPJhKOJiH2PBILk2t3hAyw
Ofpd1yhpPKx5CpPgwD07JV1pGK4wJ0wN1XLi6-nTD7FzEb1jDi7BeRZAQ9dTVhGl2qq1DrtQmCiZJazNoKaIxhCSzR7rsi7fjXS2KgtycQphCGgxZCoxSaETUc_3vMKLROaUYSojTSqyqHQPPoQCDFGPt9fBX9n2LjuNNRT6HafaXWeqvH37Z1erIw
Sr_QD5RkUFWQYspExkfQ16k20yzizvtVrUpp-Xh8yboAZ05ZXC65dcW-tuQVC3Z-Rm4fci_uzOXptimo-3cN9g2j8rlS0SiNQ6S7MlUtecWwlNnP1kvP8VVMfAr5Z1WtwLbW8yhuF1XV7Zhki3KwGABpIpzoGPaQqN7xVCYk5NRDRptbqP4bepD7Gg

nnFz9Hk2Spy0RvAoLQSJWVxgax2GIB2J_b5lTJ_FX_RQl2ggNFWIgO7TmGqjQPnEWXTRD2lzcqnY1MrIMq3XCnBg06ccmgWGPXoNU-oeE8HoU2eSUHiaRQBu7uvSw4zPMnZ7XEYSnfjCHSQrDAif_dpFkGjtfIeDsLBmXT1P8MdhIDCyC9dWV26hbQ

Notice how casually sailors and sailing is spoken of as a way of life. The male lead character of the story is in fact a sailor himself. This is useful because this isn't simply a story but is based on oral traditions and accounts the author grew up with from people who'd lived in eras like the 19th century. Kinda crazy to think the first Somali story published in the Latin script was about a man who is a sailor.

Kod6LMt_XB6WgXw95lo2P1RLqPqdfraBXmPYkruthFoKNeCJZtrUlpNp3yEdg3fLmM61nBBrRjF4Oi3eK9lQr3iM0RRiD790Jec2u4X9DhHinklxb8VBm5-R6Ctd26WzOuX9YxXF17XAtYgzqNkE1mc2_jsEK-4zNkzT5r4ygsmVancS98wtZyBPQg

Post to be continued...

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
... post continued

But in the case of all of the above and previous sources I've been overwhelmingly focused on the north so I figured it would be good to look into the south a bit and I managed to also find some stuff from some quick looking around on Koonfur:

THE southern Somali towns of Brava, Merka, Mogdeesho, and Worsheikh, commonly known as the "Benadir," or the "Harbours," from being the only points at which native vessels are able to call along this part of the coast, have been long marked as chief places at which slaves are yearly landed in thousands; and the general belief has been that so barren a country and so wild a race as the Somalis do not require slaves, all taken there being destined for reshipment to Arabia and elsewhere.

That this was to a considerable extent at one time done, there can be no doubt; but it is equally certain that at present a large part of the slaves now taken to the Benadir and retained, and used as slaves in the interior of the Somali land itself.

On the occasion of my recent visit, I was much struck with the development of the grain trade from Merka and Mogdeesho, at each of which places we found nineteen or twenty good-sized native vessels laying at anchor, some fully laden, and all with bags ready to load with native grain. Many other vessels, provided with empty bags, were also communicated with on the voyage there. To this must be added the enormous amount of orchilla weed, which, until very lately, was exported from those places, and crops of the best kind of sesame oil-seed, that forms a very important item in the Zanzibar trade, not to mention ox-hides, that, arriving from the Benadir in great numbers, constitute one of the chief exports of the latter place. - John Kirk, 1873

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

The people of the Banaadir at Xamar and Marko apparently have about 20 native good-sized vessels each to export their goods from the interior and onto the Swahili coast as far south as Zanzibar. This is a time when Xamar is ruled by the Hiraab and the town is basically, as its probably always been, majority Gibil-Madow whereas Marko was ruled by the Dir subtribe known as the Bimaal but demographically more even between Gibil-Cad and Gibil-Madow however work like fishing and seafaring would have been done by the Gibil-Madow groups such as the Reer Maanyo given that Gibil-Cads, from what I've noticed, mostly reserved themselves to tasks like commerce, being imams and so forth. The only craft I recall reading them participating in was textiles in the case of the Shaanshi and even then I think I recall that they used slaves for the actual labor. Tasks like smithing, masonry, fishing and so on were, like in Arabia, looked down upon and were left to the Gibil-Madows who also had merchants, imams and of course the rulers among their ranks in different tribal groups.

And it seems apparent in the traditions of the people of the Banaadir that the Reer Maanyo are both responsible for fishing and "import and export" so if there were native vessels I assume this was their work whilst the other tribes would have seen such work as taboo:

The name of the Manyo family is a name that escaped people who united or had a maritime career, the people who managed the port of Hamar and Marko. The reason why they left the name of the Manyo family is when the Italian colonialists came to Somalia and wanted to take the port from the hands of the people. given, these tribes who were at the time people of Hamar and Marko's economy in Export and Import have decided to unite and save their economy. -source

I'll need to do some re-reading and properly confirm this but I recall the number of boats fitting with medieval sources that say that when Ali Bey secured support along the Banaadir he was given 20 ships by ports like Xamars. If this was indeed the case, it seems they may have generally maintained a fleet of 20 Dhows, give or take.

In any case, this is interesting stuff as it shows seafaring was apparently known all along the coast during the 1800s and into the first half of the 1900s rather mainly in the north. From the northwest (Isaaq & Cisse), to the northeast (Majeerteen, Warsangeli & Kaptanle) and now Koonfur (assumably Reer Maanyo) with seagoing capabilities that can go to Southern Arabia and the Swahili coast as well as the Persian Gulf and India. Even if some groups like the Cusmaan Maxamuud are said to only apparently start going to somewhere like Zanzibar rather than just Arabia later into the 1800s, this is, I would personally say, far too widespread and developed a seafaring culture to be something that just sprang up around the late 1700s and there are a few classical and medieval accounts of some seafaring off the Somali coast which I'll share in due time either here or elsewhere.

I also found some further sources describing what appear to be Dhows from Koonfur sailing abroad for trade. There's this source that describes a thriving cattle trading industry between the Somali coast and Mauritius in 1860 and how it is "Somali Dhows" sailing between what appears to be Koonfur (Barawe and Xamar) and Mauritius to trade in this:

1ZFazUQ0hD5X2OEqCFyDODkVKkjiz54J8y370I3KNh6e98QThyvCCMQESXUury5grF7K5V-3SdEZsCqTw__MfEFhdjgJeerhE1w-RKp6pup0bqHWEqQZ1-sd1xffM5OsW33WiKVA2yJn3aNbXa2CWTtz5c6AC4iZRrmDDi_qEVTXCGNaxjCVz-nahw

This is a great source in particular because it appears to extend Somali sailors' reach in the 1800s even south of Zanzibar and basically adjacent to Madagascar and Mozambique:

cZNTXcu.png

Post to be continued...

Last edited:

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
... post continued

There's also an interesting earlier account from Zanzibar dating to 1811 that mentions Somali traders down there back then. Two in particular from Barawe who were not described to be Cadcads encountered Captain Thomas Smee and gave him a rundown on the goings on of Koonfur at the time:

All the secondary sources I've seen seem to recount them as basically being Somalis (assumably Gibil-Madow) and it seems quite apparent that Tunnis were historically demographically dominant in Barawe so that is likely what they were:

This whole book goes into Tunni involvement in Brava and how they were fully integrated in the Urban society and culture, dominated and basically ran the whole coastal operation. They also owned most of the two story buildings and houses in Barawa.

''The Somali presence in town was conspicous out of 5000 inhabitants over 2000 belonged to the five subclans of the Tunni (called the Shangamas)''
And during time when Ahmed Yusuf controlled the city it had 4500 inhabitants 4/5th of them was Somali

We find Tunni town-dwellers (males as well as females) as owners of stones houses, vacant plots and huts in all the city areas. Some of these houses were very substantial buildings, like the two-storyey, eight room house of Sheikh Faq Bin Haji Awisa, the Storey house of Omar bin Madhuli, Goigali elder and the large house of Haji Abdio bin Shego Hassan. These Tunni, who lived permanently in the town, had been fully urbanized for several generations, acquiring in the course of time the typical outlook, garb and pursuits of citydwellers.

As far back as 1846, the French traveller Gullain met some leading town elders, among whom was Haji Awisa(Of the Tunni Dafaradhi clan), who was wearing ''le costume des Souahheli de distinction'' and assured Guillain that the sultan of Zanzibar held him in high esteem, having appointed him as his local representation and costums master. In 1839 Haji Awisa's son, Sheikh Faqi , was Brava's shaykh al-balad, selected by the elders of all clans to be the spokesman for the whole town vis-a-vis the Zanzibari governor.
Whats also interesting is that Barawa differed in so far as it was governed under the somali traditional council of elders (Guurti) unlike how they did it in other swahili coastal settlements.

If we examine the administrative set-up of Brava, we see that at least from the sixteenth century it had been governed by a council of elders and this system was still in force in the early twentieth century,.. by the ninetheenth century Brava was governed internally by a council of seven elders (Called Toddoba Tol, i.e ''Seven lineages in Somali) five representing the groups of the Tunni and the other two the Hatimi and Bida. The preponderance of Somali members in the governing council reflected not so much the number of Tunni living in the town , as their strong presence in the region surrounding Brava and their importance in forging the political alliances of the town with the other Somali clans.

Though moving on from being specifically Koonfur, I also found this account from the mid-1800s by Burton describing native crafts from the Somali coast (sailed by "Hamites") as being among the various foreign boats down at Zanzibar:

The N. E. monsoon is now (December) doing its duty well, and bringing various native craft
from. Madagascar, Mozambique, the minor islands of the Indian Ocean, Bombay and Guzerat, the Somali coast, the Red Sea, Maskat, and the Persian Gulf. Numbering 60 to 70, they anchor
close in shore — Semites and Hamites, wondrously apathetic ! —where the least sea would bump them to bits. About half a mile outside the ' country shipping,' ride, in 5 to 6 fathoms,
half a dozen square-rigged merchantmen — Americans, French, and Hamburgers ; England is not represented. What with bad water, and worse liquor, the Briton finds it hard to live at Zanzibar. All are awaiting cargoes of copal and ivory, of hides, and of the cowries which we used to call ' blackamoor's teeth.'

And this account from the first decade of the 1900s describing what seems to be the British putting restrictions on Dhows belonging to Somalis at Aden:

i5FkLqoK2mp4QoyvxDaPyizTmE84CYKTwQsSKSqaw5AuLXY6nNHSeEILuWz-e6BP3-0OD-f89Vt1aJySqkYkPv2WAiyYC0CvVY1gDmg_OXioi_bhn2zpj-5fsWFuPe0UfYamKjEGlTe4-OCCwdt4ji_6__lc1Bkvy2GQfPdQqEQeOov7etW1f8EO9w

But anyway, here are a couple of other random accounts talking about Somalis sailing or working as sailors during the Early Modern era that I managed to see around:

Shortly after 1810, crews of small Red Sea vessels calling at Jiddah included African
slaves among crews of Somali, Hadhrami, and Yemeni seafarers. -
source

Nvmn_T8FcH5NVs3waeFOVoDfwWJtO6nvHTJyD5hMt3dmKFciIPNlzP8AHxEAXdcNMLNvLbKnihZVeDJygkyhTYhqW2CA8ooqHdELf0MJlNCdtTPsZq5DBK_RqwA7k5bmUOHg-2nB4zNWemABigt4_7SL5ZMTeWAhmo4csM8kUMpiFVfpEXLKXJI-cg

-source

As for Somali men, another observer noted in the mid-1840s that "they are in general men of indolent habits and earn a precarious subsistence as coolies, servants, cooks, and even sailors, just as the whim seizes them, serving no longer than suits their inclinations in tho3se various employments." - source

I sadly managed to lose a handful of sources here and there, even, I think, yet another source talking about seafaring at near the start of the 1800s but I got pretty sidetracked and lost my original post with most of these sources overtime. This post was meant to be posted months ago. Collated most of what I collected here. Do feel free to sift through them and find some I didn't post. You'll actually encounter a whole lot of random sources if you google books search things like "Somali Dhow" or "Somali Sambuk" dating from the 1900s and 1800s:

I've mostly restricted myself to 1950 as a time-cap. If you go beyond 1950 you find even more accounts and picture books talking about Somali dhows and sailors.

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
Finally, here's a map of all the locations mentioned in this thread to have been visited by Somalis from 1800 to around 1940:

oyVmp6J.png

So everywhere from Massawa & Jeddah in the Red Sea to Dubai & Ras Al Khaimah in the Persian Gulf to Zanzibar and Mauritius down along the Swahili coast to as east as Bombay in India.

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
@Al-Ma'mun @The alchemist @Hargeysa @Som @Clllam

Any future posts I do will be more on the smaller fishing boats and accounts, models and images I've seen on those as well as descriptions of them and their size and I'll also try to get into medieval and classical accounts of sailing and fishing along our coast. If I never get around to doing so on this thread I'll inshallah blog about it or make a YouTube video someday. For now I hope exploring this part of our heritage was interesting.

Hamzza

VIP
List of Somali words related to seafaring and fishing, I collected from different Somali Dictionaries:

1. Barandis. = ropes of the stern pulleys in a boat
2. Baqaal. = large freight show
3. Barrad. = hawser of a sail boat
4. Bayraq. = flag, banner
5. Beden. = a fishing boat
6. Daqal. = the ship's post
7. Deebaan. = sailrope
8. Doon, Doonni = dhaw
9. Faarmaan. = beam of a sail
10. Naakhuude. = captain of the ship
11. Qalammi. = the main mast of a ship
12. Sareedaan. = ship's galley, camboose