Somalis regarded as Arabs in the 1841 Aden population census

All major world leaders speak their own language on stage even if they know English. It's a sign of dignity.

The leader should know somali. Everything else can be done with a translator.

Putin and Macron know English but have you heard them speak it in these international things?

Not every leader speak their own language. Most of them speak use either English, French, Spanish or Arabic. Including those with other own native languages. But this besides my point.

I don’t honestly think much of what language we use on the global stage in international forums, but the more languages our politicians (and public) speak, I believe that it will improve our diplomacy and ties with other countries. This is my personal take.

Khaemwaset

Djiboutian 🇩🇯 | 𐒖𐒆𐒄A𐒗𐒃 🇸🇴
VIP
You have to be joking at this point. We’re going in circles, but let me give you one last reply.

What have our ethnicity to do with the languages that we speak? You just highlighted the importance of English, but that language is not native to us either.

If you look at my other post above, then you’d see that I said there’s a difference between being Arab and being Arabic speaking. I mentioned several reasons as to why we should learn Arabic, and *never* did I mention anything about seeking validation from Arabs or being part of them. Do you get it now?

Again, I did not negate the Somali language, it’s obvious that we speak Somali and should remain that way. I mentioned several times that Arabic should be our second/third language.

If you only want Arabic to be taught at Islamic schools, then that’s your opinion. I believe that it should be part of our curriculum. Let’s agree to disagree.

But in the end, since all Somalis attend Islamic school, then we will eventually become Arabic speakers, if we increase Arabic studies. So what difference does it make?
Arabic doesn't mean as much in the Islamic world as it did in 1700s per say. It isn't the lingua franca anymore. Going from Pakistan to Indonesia you would speak English to do buisness. Not Arabic.

But both languages aren't necessary for the majority of population. Japanese are notorious for their horrible English and foriegn languages. They can only speak Japanese over there. Yet they made themselves the hub of buisness and 3rd largest economy after China & USA.

Only buisness men and such need to learn foreign languages. Average man in the streets should not need to and probably wouldn't. Af-somali is the dominant language in Half the horn's land. There's no need for the average somali who will live, work and die in Somaliweyn to learn a foriegn language. Perhaps if he lives in the border regions or major cities in that part he will learn other regional languages like Afaan Oromo or Amxaar.

No country relies on foriegners so much their population picks up a foriegn language. That's literally what conquests does. Putting arabic on a pedestal is not it walaal. It will never be most spoken by the average man in somalia.

Very fair points. I know many close Isaaq friends who reside in Dubai and they dominate the business sector. Even before the state collapse, many Somalis lived and worked in the UAE. They mainly hailed from the Isaaq clan. I appreciate your informative insight. Jazakallahu khair.
This guy sounds like an ajaanib, Jazakallahu Khair kulaha I think he copied and pasted that.

What have our ethnicity to do with the languages that we speak? You just highlighted the importance of English, but that language is not native to us either.
Ethnicity has everything to do with language, its one of the defining elements of an ethnic group. I also never said English should be taught but it makes more sense for our leaders to learn it than Arabic.

I mentioned several reasons as to why we should learn Arabic
None of which make sense. You want Somalis to learn Arabic as a second language because of Islam? You can be plenty pious without learning Arabic. Just ask the millions of Pakistanis, Indonesians, Turks, Iranians, Berbers and more. You believe that we can trade better with Arabs when non-Arabic countries can trade just fine with Arabs. Education wise, I could maybe see Somalis having a reason to learn Arabic but English is available in those countries too.

then we will eventually become Arabic speakers
Unlikely. The only person in my family who speaks Arabic is my mother and I don't see many Somalis being fluent in it either.

Khaemwaset

VIP
Not every leader speak their own languages. Most of them speak either in English, French, Spanish or Arabic. Including those with their own native languages. But this besides my point.

I don’t honestly think much of what language we use on the global stage in international forums, but the more languages our politicians (and public) speak, I believe that it will improve our diplomacy and ties with other countries. This is my personal take.
That's shithole african countries like Al-somal what will speak the language of Europeans to look more sophisticated. Arabic isn't spoken on the world stage at international forums by non Arab states.

You have to understand arabs have no influence in these areas at all. Spanish is also kept in Latin America.

Most countries that have a backbone speak their native tounges in the world stage. If I was Dictator I would be at the UN security counsil speaking like I'm an awoowe singing a gabay. Not Af-Ingriis or Af-Carab

That's shithole african countries like Al-somal what will speak the language of Europeans to look more sophisticated. Arabic isn't spoken on the world stage at international forums by non Arab states.

You have to understand arabs have no influence in these areas at all. Spanish is also kept in Latin America.

Most countries that have a backbone speak their native tounges in the world stage. If I was Dictator I would be at the UN security counsil speaking like I'm an awoowe singing a gabay. Not Af-Ingriis or Af-Carab
Arabic is an official language in our country, fluency from atleast our top politicians like the president and VP should be standard🤦🏼‍♂

Khaemwaset

VIP
Arabic is an official language in our country, fluency from atleast our top politicians like the president and VP should be standard🤦🏼‍♂
It's official because we are in the Arab league. Would be weird if we were a part of the arab States without Arabic in the official language of state.

But top politicians serve somalia only, ideally. Communicating with arabs is not a priority. If he has merit but only knows the great language of Af-Somali then he's fine. A translator will suffice. As it has with most leaders. Erdoğan only knows Turkish yet he has good foriegn diplomacy. He didn't need to learn foriegn languages to build relations with them.

Arabic doesn't mean as much in the Islamic world as it did in 1700s per say. It isn't the lingua franca anymore. Going from Pakistan to Indonesia you would speak English to do buisness. Not Arabic.

I didn't say Islamic world, but instead referring to our deen being Arabic based. Having great command of Arabic helps our understanding of Islam.

Since neither Indonesia nor Indonesia are Arab countries, it's obvious that I was not referring to them.

But both languages aren't necessary for the majority of population. Japanese are notorious for their horrible English and foriegn languages. They can only speak Japanese over there. Yet they made themselves the hub of buisness and 3rd largest economy after China & USA.

I didn't imply that it's mandatory to use Arabic to succeed. Rather that I believe it's in our interest to speak Arabic, or the more languages, the better.

Only buisness men and such need to learn foreign languages. Average man in the streets should not need to and probably wouldn't. Af-somali is the dominant language in Half the horn's land. There's no need for the average somali who will live, work and die in Somaliweyn to learn a foriegn language. Perhaps if he lives in the border regions or major cities in that part he will learn other regional languages like Afaan Oromo or Amxaar.

Of course, I wasn't talking about using Arabic between Somalis. You surely don't believe the same if someone told you that Somalis should be English speakers, right?

Why should border communities learn Amharic or Oromo? I'm in favor of dismantling the dominance of Amharic in Ethiopia and not let Oromo replace it either. Each community should speak their own language, and then use English (or/and Arabic) between each other.

No country relies on foriegners so much their population picks up a foriegn language. That's literally what conquests does. Putting arabic on a pedestal is not it walaal. It will never be most spoken by the average man in somalia.

There's nothing about putting Arabic on a pedestal. English is the most useful foreign language, and to us Somalis, Arabic comes next. Hence my recommendation that we should learn those two languages.

That report possibly referred to the banadiri community. The benadiri community originated from "mercantile urban communities" established by migrants from the Arabian Peninsula who settled along the southern coast of Somalia and built stone towns for defence and trade. It didn't include the nomadic clans(Isaaq, Darood, Hawiye, Dir) who falsely claimed to have genealogical traditions of descent from Arab Sheikhs. Somalis don't have Arab heritage or descent. Somalis are not Arabs. That myth was already debunked and intellectually refuted. The banadiri community would often travel to Yemen for knowledge and trade. Most Yemenis tend to marry those from the banadiri community due to strong cultural and historical links.
If it was banadiris then it would only be banadiri Arabs but I doubt it. These migrations would've been recorded in manuscripts

El Nino

Cabsi cabsi
VIP
All major world leaders speak their own language on stage even if they know English. It's a sign of dignity.

The leader should know somali. Everything else can be done with a translator.

Putin and Macron know English but have you heard them speak it in these international things?

Xi Jinping has a translator, he only speaks chinese. Same situation with Erdogan.

Gacmeey

Madaxweynaha Qurbo Joogta 🇸🇴
Alright, I'll give it to you straight. We are Somalis dude, not Arabs. I literally don't see why we should learn a language that is not native to us. You think the Arabs will think of us as one of them if we do learn it? Is that what you want?

I don't at all mind Arabic being spoken by Somalis but it shouldn't be taught in non-Islamic schools, Somali should be encouraged as it is the language of our people.
In the coming years, the economic growth of Arab countries will be massive, especially as they go on to be the middle man between Europe and the global south mainly india. There might not be any need now but in another 30-40, having a significant minority in Somalia that can speak Arabic will be very important economically for us.

In addition, at one point Somalis made up almost 20% of the population of the city. We have had massive influence in Yemen for the past 300 years that is overlooked not only by foreigners but by Somalis as well
My great grandfather used to go back and forth between berbera and aden. He had a lot of investments and properties over there.