Somalis in shewa back in 13th century

Garaad diinle

 
Futuh madinat harar is the suugo science one then?
Yeah, fath madinat harar is the weird one. It even says that abaadir was fighting two qabila one is called qabilat a-talyani and the other one is called qabiltat al-portuqis.

What was the name of al ashanbali book
He wrote two different books. The first book is the one i shared an excerpt from and it's an overall history of walashama. I don't think it had a name or at least i don't remember what it was. The second book is called taariikh al-mujahidin which is about the awsa sultanate and emirate of Harar.

Last edited:
I read about them a long time ago and i once came across an interesting source that spoke of oral tradition of argobba regarding their origin story. For starters i just wanna mention that cerulli i think once wrote that there were a group of people with a similar name to the argobba mentioned in the story of the shewa sultanate in the 13th century. He then says that these were argobba that haven't yet converted to islam.

The argobba identity is synonymies with islam much like our somali identity. The two earliest muslim settlement is named shonke and tolha.

do5sVbR.jpg

The origin story of the argobba at least these from shonke an tollaha lay in the the stories of abbayye kulubas and abbayye fäqi aḥmäd both of whom lived in the 13th century the same century that ifat sultanate was founded. Sheikh kulubas is said to be an arab that came from asmara and i remember once reading that he came from axum. I think this reflects the ethnic identity of the argobba who are an ethio-semitic group. The other sheikh named faqi ahmed is said to have come from zeila and this probably reflect their islamic identity since zeila was the gate of islam that converted many ethnicities in the horn of africa.
Where do you get these sources from?

Garaad diinle

 
Where do you get these sources from?
You mean abbayye kulubas? Here is a bit of his history.

Ng5RuL7.jpg

It really doesn't matter what they think, what i value the most is their findings more so than their conclusions. Many westerners don't favour somalis and i've come across some writings that detaches somalis from the history of both adal and ifat.

The reason we know that the walashama were somalis is primarily due to their lineage. The manuscript of ba'lawi writing in the 16th century clearly points out the ancestry of the walashama. They're descendent from aw barkhadle who is an ethnic somali and acknowledged as such even by the hararis.

4822uQ2.png
20231021_061954.jpg

What about Haqq ad Din II? His uncle was named Mola Asfah which doesn't sound very Somali.

Garaad diinle

 
View attachment 300140
What about Haqq ad Din II? His uncle was named Mola Asfah which doesn't sound very Somali.
It's not that surprising. The walashama intermarried with non somali muslims especially since the more west you go say towards shewa the less somali you'll encounter. Marriage between somalis and non somalis though not that common wasn't that rare. If you want an example close to home just look at the wife of the imam axmad. Bati del wambara is of ethio-semitic origin.

Trending

Latest posts