Somalis Captured Cadan in the 12th Century and Built Famous Water Works

According to the Yemeni historian, Ibn al Mujawir, the 'Barabir' captured Cadan in the 12th century and built a number of water-works (Tarikh Ibn Mujawir, p. 132).

I will try and add the exact photo of the page in the source once I find it.

Found this on 'Taariikh iyo Aasaar'

Aden Old Waterworks.jpg

Last edited:
According to the Yemeni historian, Ibn al Mujawir, the 'Barabir' captured Cadan in the 12th century and built a number of water-works (Tarikh Ibn Mujawir, p. 132).

View attachment 329664
Here's the page
IMG_5115.jpg

Interesting photo bro, so it's this valley that the barbars settled when they invaded yemen?

According to this arab scholar, al mujawir was implying that the barbars were the first to have built the first form of cisterns in aden (the mentioned water works)
Screenshot_20240516-211057_Gallery.jpg

After the barbar occupation of aden ended, the city fell off, until the persians came.

Here's the page
View attachment 329668
Interesting photo bro, so it's this valley that the barbars settled when they invaded yemen?

According to this arab scholar, al mujawir was implying that the barbars were the first to have built the first form of cisterns in aden (the mentioned water works)
View attachment 329669
After the barbar occupation of aden ended, the city fell off, until the persians came.
Love the team work man thank you for posting the page I was wondering if maybe I'd confused this anecdote with something else.

Apparently yeah I'm not 100% sure but it was probably that valley

am guessing it was southern yemen not just the city of aden
Territorial extent probably changed hands multiple times to a greater or lesser extent depending on the time. This occupation was quite earlier on. Later on during the Walashma- you have some historians suggest they ruled a part of Yemen and include Wadi Sumaal near Sanca.

Just seeing now there are more interesting details on this event.

Apparently, the Somalis captured or freed the city and the surrounding territory from people who had come from 'juzur al Qamar' - is this a reference to Comoros or the Swahil coast in general.

The water crisis reached a point where before these water works were built, they would apparently bring drinking water all the way from Saylac and also building materials.

Hanan brings out a recent book here where an Arab 'historian' falsifies history and claims 'bilad al Saylac' was Yemeni and controlled by them until the British came :ftw9nwa: :ftw9nwa: :ftw9nwa:

@Laser

Last edited:

Cartan Boos

Average SSC Patriot
VIP
Just seeing now there are more interesting details on this event.

Apparently, the Somalis captured or freed the city and the surrounding territory from people who had come from 'juzur al Qamar' - is this a reference to Comoros or the Swahil coast in general.

The water crisis reached a point where before these water works were built, they would apparently bring drinking water all the way from Saylac and also building materials.

Hanan brings out a recent book here where an Arab 'historian' falsifies history and claims 'bilad al Saylac' was Yemeni and controlled by them until the British came :ftw9nwa: :ftw9nwa: :ftw9nwa:

@Laser
our history is extremely underrated it's crime at this point

CABDULWALI XASAN.

Cabdul's Status CLOSED until further notice.

Just taking a look at the google maps satelitee, Completely forgot that aden has a natural port it kinda reminds me of Tunis in tunisia (carthage) it also has a lagoon its like kismayo thats 10x bigger with mountains.

CABDULWALI XASAN.

Cabdul's Status CLOSED until further notice.
A bit off topic, but looking at the map Adens City planning is top-notch, I wish muqdisho had planning like it. I mean the city is in a 2006 muqdisho state but once they get back to building they will progress quickly as their framework (the roads) are perfectly designed and planned.

Nin123

Somali supremacist
VIP

View attachment 329664
By cadaan does he means Roman guy? Cause they are the only cadaan capable of building this type of thing.

@Laser

The ottomans based in Mocha had a loose control of Zayla after the fall/decline of Awdal in 1630, it passed through a number of Somali & Yemeni governors and ruled by local Somali Qadis,. Zayla's importance and economy declined because it was a port contingent on in-land trade into Galbeed. Until the last Governor Sharmarke tried to revive it's inland routes and revitilize the economy

But throughout it's history it was a Somali town, inhabited by Somalis and was always referred to as such.

Last edited:
I have mentioned some things about Mujawir writings. We can't really say he talking about Somalis , i made it clear before that ''Barbar'' was a greek word for non-greek speakers that was applied to a wide group of people and not just Somalis and later adopted by Muslim geographers.
Same with Habash which is just the adoption of the regional Aethiopia from the greeks. They could be talking about any group.

In some passages when he mentions barbar he is actually talking about Afar and not Somalis because he mentions barbars living in the Danakilah quarter in Aden. Danakil is their name and the region to north with the port of Beylul.

But when he talks about Al-Maqdishi, Al-Jabarti and Al-Zayla he is talking about Somalis because those are place specific terms and nisbas that to indicate their place of origin.

It's true not only the 1400 -1500s but also the 1200s
You have a description of Aden Inhabitants by Ibn Al-Mujawir in 13th century and he mentions the non- Arab ones which among them being Al-Jabartis, Al-Zaylai's and Al-Maqdishis among others nationalities who had become rich and very prominent in the city.

r1Cp46D.jpeg

The only translation i could find of his work has many translation errors. In the original Arabic he seems to use terms like Baribar(Berber) and Habash as a lose generalized exonym for Horn of Africans, but the author of this book translates baribar as Somali and Habash as Abyssinian, when it's clear in a lot cases he isn't talking about neither .He translates Al-Jabarti into East Africans.

Only Al- Zayla'i , Al-Maqdishi , and Al-jabarti was place specific terms and they were clearly talking about Somalis who were using it as their Nisba to denote their place of origin. Jabarta was the name used by people from northern Somalia , Arabs refered to it as Jabarta region.

When you see the term ''Berber'' , you need to look at the context in which it is used and if they attached it to specific locale. Can't assume the ethnic origin.
Same with ''Habash'', you can't assume they mean Abyssinian or Amhara.

When the Ibn Mujawir uses Baribar in the text in a lot of cases he is referring to Afar or Danakilah from the port of Beilul . He mentions Barbar living in the Danikilah quarter.

The ottomans based in Mocha had a loose control of Zayla after the fall/decline of Awdal in 1630, it passed through a number of Somali & Yemeni governors and ruled by local Somali Qadis,. Zayla's importance and economy declined because it was a port contingent on in-land trade into Galbeed. Until the last Governor Sharmarke tried to revive it's inland routes and revitilize the economy

But throughout it's history it was a Somali town, inhabited by Somalis and was always referred to as such.
Yes I am aware of the Ottoman de facto/indirect claim but this is very different to claiming there was Yemeni control - how could there be Yemeni control when they were themselves governed by the Ottomans?

Yes I am aware of the Ottoman de facto/indirect claim but this is very different to claiming there was Yemeni control - how could there be Yemeni control when they were themselves governed by the Ottomans?

Yemenis were employed by the Ottomans, as was Somalis and it rotated between the two as governors. But still it was never a Yemeni town. Just like Mocha was not a Turkish town even though they governed it.

In the decades before the british it was governed by Mohamed El Barr after that to a Somali Sharmarke Ali Saleh, then French imposed Abu Bakr an Afar for 2 years and then back to Sharmarke after that Egyptians ruled it directly with the support of the ottomans in a breif stint and then it passed to the British.

Last edited:

Trending