Somalis and their “fish phobia”

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was talking about this with my cousin the other day and it made us generally confused. We have the longest coastline in Africa and the majority of Somalis live on the coast, yet we do not have a single “fish dish”. At sabs, we eat meat and chicken but never fish. Even the Xabesha and Sudanis don’t eat fish. Why? Was one of our ancestors swallowed by a whale that led to a hatred of fish?

Question for the philosophers :hillarybiz:

It’s a Cushitic nomadic culture. Nomads have to always live in the interior.

That said, fish is consumed by coastal regions and people in major cities like Muqdisho.

FendiFanatic

Freedom of Speech
Fish is a big part of cuisine in Bari Sanaag

I had this traditional fish meal in Bosaso it was bariis with fish and meat tasted amazing

Last edited:

Molotoff

Supreme Bosniak Geeljire
VIP
I was talking about this with my cousin the other day and it made us generally confused. We have the longest coastline in Africa and the majority of Somalis live on the coast, yet we do not have a single “fish dish”. At sabs, we eat meat and chicken but never fish. Even the Xabesha and Sudanis don’t eat fish. Why? Was one of our ancestors swallowed by a whale that led to a hatred of fish?

Question for the philosophers :hillarybiz:

But McFish is still the most popular order by Somalis at McDonalds?

It’s a Cushitic nomadic culture. Nomads have to always live in the interior.

That said, fish is consumed by coastal regions and people in major cities like Muqdisho.

My dad has been to Muqdisho and was upset at how little fish was served at restaurants. He likes fish. I can’t fathom how o_O

Factz

Factzopedia
VIP
The reason why is because Somalis has a large livestock population that's even bigger their own population so why do they need fish? But I agree that Somalis need to diversify their eating habits because the benefits of eating fish is substantial. It'll increase Somalia's life expectancy and their IQ.

I personally enjoy eating fish especially with rice and fish. Plus, I heard coastal Somalis mostly eat fish and other regions like Bari and Sanaag.

Lol my 10 year old brother thinks we hate fish because according to him, one of our ancestors saw Prophet Yunis being spat out by the whale and mentally scarred the early Cushites for life :dead:

The reason why is because Somalis has a large livestock population that's even bigger their own population so why do they need fish? But I agree that Somalis need to diversify their eating habits because the benefits of eating fish is substantial. It'll increase Somalia's life expectancy and their IQ.

I personally enjoy eating fish especially with rice and fish. Plus, I heard coastal Somalis mostly eat fish and other regions like Bari and Sanaag.

If you're not gonna eat it, at least sell it to other nations. Right now, Somalia's coastline is being plundered by Illegal foreign fishing trawlers from Yemen to Korea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts