Somalinimo: Somali culture, blackness and Islam at Cambridge University (The Guardian)

As students return to universities around the world, four British-Somali students talk about navigating one of Britain’s most elite institutions: Cambridge University. Their identity is rooted in Somalinimo (‘the essence of being Somali’) and in this love letter to Somali culture, blackness and Islam, they reflect on both belonging and marginalisation. The women discuss conflicts with their parents, the sense of solidarity they have built at Cambridge, and the legacy they are creating for the next generation of British-Somalis. They give new meaning to an old Somali proverb: ‘Clothing that is not yours cannot shelter you from the cold’

Film-makers Alice Aedy and Awa Farah talk about making the film together.

(Watch the video in the link)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-12-09 at 18.51.35.png
    Screenshot 2020-12-09 at 18.51.35.png
    933.2 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:
Say Mashallah to our sisters, may Allah protect them and may they inspire more young Somalis to preserve their Somalinimo whilst on a journey to level up.

What is Somalinimo to you?

For me it's:

Not fearing anyone or anything but Allah.
Deep love and appreciation for being Somali, always claiming it above everything.
Feeling kinship when I see a fellow Somali and smiling/greeting them.
Always wanting to go back Somalia one day.
Being hospitable and welcoming to guests, never harming or insulting them.

In the eyes of the world, we're black. When a police officer pulls you over (especially US police), you will be treated like a Black person. We should be proud of our Somali roots but it's not wise to distance yourself from other Blacks especially Black Muslims. Black is a social concept and Somalis by default are apart of that social concept.

In the eyes of the world, we're black. When a police officer pulls you over (especially US police), you will be treated like a Black person. We should be proud of our Somali roots but it's not wise to distance yourself from other Blacks especially Black Muslims. Black is a social concept and Somalis by default are apart of that social concept.

Black should be a political and economic alliance. Nothing else because we have nothing else in common except for being discriminated against.

Somalis have a very unique culture that is only slightly shared by Muslim Cushites. We cannot afford to be sucked into something we are not.

It must be tough for them to be in an cadaan eltist environment but these sisters seem grounded and humbled by the opportunity they have. I'm sure they will do wonders in future. :salute:

I understand your point walaal but in the UK its very different. We don't have the same culture with police brutality compared to the US. In the UK theirs no opportunities we benefit from by sharing the black label . We are normally labelled collectively as BAME (Black, Asian and minority ethnic ) and opportunities given mostly go towards South Asians.

Black should be a political and economic alliance. Nothing else because we have nothing else in common except for being discriminated against.

Somalis have a very unique culture that is only slightly shared by Muslim Cushites. We cannot afford to be sucked into something we are not.

That's something important to remember. I recognize that we face similar issues but a lot of them take it too far and accept the creation of a monolith.

Non Somali and somali can't be same ppl even though I get your point but if someone pulls and cuz my skin is brown doesn't I have to goto non Somalis and say we same ppl we should identify same identity cuz we share skin color I don't want Somalis and non Somali put same ppl cuz we not Somalis don't have to identify what Europeans and non Somalis tht identify African black
Plus I don't care and it is not my business if the world sees me and as non somalis tht have same skin color as me
I don't identify what I am being told I think there agenda to erase Somalis from who Somalis are

I don't agree with identifying African black as political if we Somalis want alliance with African and black we don't have to identify African black in order to be political alliance we can be political alliance without identifying African black
There is no need taking foreign label in order to be political alliance against racists ppl