Somaliland Pictures & Videos

ZodiaK

VIP
1669283698810.jpeg

ZodiaK

VIP

Somaliland learned a lot from this dam. They were not expecting it to hold the water through out the whole year but perhaps slow the water down enough to recharge aquifers for a few months of the year. It has been 2 years now and the dam is still full and during one of the worst droughts in living memory. They have noticed wells many km away are recharging and the ecology around the area has changed. Incredible value for money at 2 million. Ngo's have been spending 50 times more than that digging and rehabilitating wells and berkads etc for decades in Somaliland, you think they didn't have the know how to build strategically well placed dams like this for a fraction of the price?

Hargeisa water agency is now building an even bigger dam.

Somaliland learned a lot from this dam. They were not expecting it to hold the water through out the whole year but perhaps slow the water down enough to recharge aquifers for a few months of the year. It has been 2 years now and the dam is still full and during one of the worst droughts in living memory. They have noticed wells many km away are recharging and the ecology around the area has changed. Incredible value for money at 2 million. Ngo's have been spending 50 times more than that digging and rehabilitating wells and berkads etc for decades in Somaliland, you think they didn't have the know how to build strategically well placed dams like this for a fraction of the price?

Hargeisa water agency is now building an even bigger dam.

The central government of Somaliland or city governments like Hargeisa should introduce a taxation designed to generate much-needed funds to fund water, road, school,and health projects in Somaliland. I was surprised when I visited there last year that there are no sales tax taken from consumers. They tax businesses but consumer sales tax was not instituted in Somaliland. In my view, this is where they need to focus on getting the much-needed funds that can be used to fund these projects.

ZodiaK

VIP
The central government of Somaliland or city governments like Hargeisa should introduce a taxation designed to generate much-needed funds to fund water, road, school,and health projects in Somaliland. I was surprised when I visited there last year that there are no sales tax taken from consumers. They tax businesses but consumer sales tax was not instituted in Somaliland. In my view, this is where they need to focus on getting the much-needed funds that can be used to fund these projects.