Somalia signs onto China's "Belt and Road Initiative" ahead of Africa-China Summit in Beijing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guts

Bosaso iyo Bandar Siyada
VIP
We can't even build our roads?
ACSszfF4_wNJAvaoly09wHjDlYdjeoLeNXHal4sC4A=s900-mo-c-c0xffffffff-rj-k-no

Thegoodshepherd

Galkacyo iyo Calula dhexdood
VIP
China is literally responsible for Somalia’s ENTIRE road network save for the Garowe-Bosaso road. We should be immensely grateful to the taxpayers of China who have given us the Mogadishu to Hargeisa road.

Farm

VIP
China is literally responsible for Somalia’s ENTIRE road network save for the Garowe-Bosaso road. We should be immensely grateful to the taxpayers of China who have given us the Mogadishu to Hargeisa road.

Why be grateful? It’s in the country’s large debt plus interest.

Ras

It's all so tiresome
VIP
Building highways would employ hundreds of thousands directly and more importantly indirectly by acting as a seed for industry.

If you get others to build it for you then whose going to maintain it if there's no industry domestically?

Also that debt will siphon out the little foreign reserves we have.

If we build it ourselves then we could mine the limestone and gravel out of our grounds and pay the workers in our currency backed by our agriculture.

You can't expect others to build your infrastructure for you and still have a functioning economy at the end of it.

Farmaajo is just looking for a paycheck just like his other African peers in China ATM.

Good to see Somalia and China getting closer together, hopefully we join BRICS (Brazil, Russia, India, China, South Africa) soon as well and join up with the future superpowers.

Building highways would employ hundreds of thousands directly and more importantly indirectly by acting as a seed for industry.

If you get others to build it for you then whose going to maintain it if there's no industry domestically?

Also that debt will siphon out the little foreign reserves we have.

If we build it ourselves then we could mine the limestone and gravel out of our grounds and pay the workers in our currency backed by our agriculture.

You can't expect others to build your infrastructure for you and still have a functioning economy at the end of it.

Farmaajo is just looking for a paycheck just like his other African peers in China ATM.

they will bring their own employees

SirLancelLord

Reformation of Somaliland
VIP
With this news, let's see if they do their due diligence...

Better hope this "gov" keeps up with its interest payments otherwise China takes full control to whatever they build.

I'd prefer a lobbying by China on our behalf to remove the damn arms embargo and gives weapon and tanks. forget these roads. we got bigger problems.

Let russia and china take our resources in return, give us access to tanks, jets, weapons and non negotiable guaranteed backing in the international stage.:trumpsmirk:

we'd quickly get back our sovereignty this way.

I like how the “cynics” are crying about how we will be looted, I’m sure roads and infrastructure will be drop from the sky.

Continuing on.
The Belt and Road Initative will allow more infrastructure to be constructed and the fact that we are one of the first African nations to have been accepted into it shows that China holds us in a higher regard then Western countries do.
The phrase “Don’t look a gift horse in the mouth” is well-suited here.

SomaliMVP

Somali chauvinist
Who are they gonna rob al shabaab?

:bell:

They are coming for our natural resources. Don't be naive.

With ports being build all over Somalia the time is right for China to swoop in, build some roads and steal our natural resources. All in the name of development.

Karim

I could agree with you but then we’d both be wrong
HALYEEY
VIP
The Belt and Road initiative project is a farce and debt trap.Some countries involved already raised concerns about their ability to repay billions worth of loans from China. Sri Lanka gave up their main port couple months ago after they failed to repay loans from China. Greece too. It's risky.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending