Somali women must get 50% of all political seats.

Alluring

Sayonara
you're a western woman. we can't see eye to eye. i think you should leave Somali matters alone and embrace whatever country you're living in.

our Somali forefathers have laid down some rules for us to preserve our people and culture. unlike the cadaan people, we will abide by them.
During the Prophet pbuh's time, burying girls was common but he outlawed that horrid practice/tradition. You can hold onto to good traditions but all the trash like FGM need to be eradicated as soon as possible. Humans are meant to develop, keep staying stuck in 1600s and wonder why your country is stagnant. If Somalia at least stuck with Islamic principle rather than some outdated cultural bs, we would be 100x better.

Alluring

Sayonara
You guys lost me with anti somali male rhetoric, it turned from valid criticisms to insults and generalizations. You guys seem to believe that Somali history began in 1991 when that is far from the case, Somali history dates thousands of years ago and is filled with instances of Somali male successes and inspiring male individuals. You have to wonder, would Somalia even be better off if the events that occurred following the civil war until now would be any better if it was women dominated? Hate to break it to you but they are no angels, they'd likely have been corrupt power hungry individuals as well.

We need good people, male and female to run society, we need to uplift each other with our problems rather than engage in "who is worse" arguments" @PuntiteQueen @Alluring @KawhiLeonard
I understand but it's somewhat annoying how some somali men act like including women in the discussion is the worst thing to possibly happen while ignoring how many negative things have happened at their own hands.

You guys lost me with anti somali male rhetoric, it turned from valid criticisms to insults and generalizations. You guys seem to believe that Somali history began in 1991 when that is far from the case, Somali history dates thousands of years ago and is filled with instances of Somali male successes and inspiring male individuals. You have to wonder, would Somalia even be better off if the events that occurred following the civil war until now would be any better if it was women dominated? Hate to break it to you but they are no angels, they'd likely have been corrupt power hungry individuals as well.

We need good people, male and female to run society, we need to uplift each other with our problems rather than engage in "who is worse" arguments" @PuntiteQueen @Alluring @KawhiLeonard

If you look at Somali history, nomadic Somali women had it very rough, they would have to build the "aqal", which is the dwelling, look after the children, cook and also milk the animals.

Somali nomadic women would also give birth alone without assistance.

Whereas Somali nomadic men didn't do much in or around the dwelling, he only engaged in warfare which was not that often or herding cattle. There was a Western historian who wrote about Somali nomadic men lazing around and tending to their appearance.

In addition to this, Somali women had to tolerate sharing their husband with multiple wives as they didn't have much access to making their own livelihoods.

There is not much evidence of Somali women being merchants or having access to other parts of society outside of child-rearing etc,

Somali men didn't suddenly inherit this need to marginalise women, this is an old tradition.

@Alluring @Halimo Supremist

We really need Somali female historians to piece together the history of Somali women and marginalisation in society.

We also need Somali female Islamic scholars to teach girls and women their rights.

We should not be guests to men for islamic or worldly knowledge, too many abuse their position in society to teach nonsense.

Alluring

Sayonara
@Alluring @Halimo Supremist

We really need Somali female historians to piece together the history of Somali women and marginalisation in society.

We also need Somali female Islamic scholars to teach girls and women their rights.

We should not be marti to any male for islamic or worldly knowledge, too many abuse their position in society.
I agree, women need to be uplifted more in our culture and treated with respect. This could also lead to FGM finally dying for good, along with rape and other issues that plague our women.

If you look at Somali history, nomadic Somali women had it very rough, they would have to build the "aqal", which is the dwelling, look after the children, cook and also milk the animals.

In addition to this, Somali women had to tolerate sharing their husband with multiple wives as they didn't have much access to making their own livelihoods.

There is not much evidence of Somali women being merchants or having access to other parts of society outside of child-rearing etc,

Somali men didn't suddenly inherit this need to marginalise women, this is an old tradition.
In your first paragraph you make it seem as if men did not a role in nomadic society, in your second it seem like you are using your opinion on a husband having more than one wife and making it correspond to them somehow unliking it and the other two isn't even the point I was making. Not even sure what the need for writing it.

We need women to be treated according to true Islam (not saudi imported wahhabism)

In your first paragraph you make it seem as if men did not a role in nomadic society, in your second it seem like you are using your opinion on a husband having more than one wife and making it correspond to them somehow unliking it and the other two isn't even the point I was making. Not even sure what the need for writing it.

We need women to be treated according to true Islam (not saudi imported wahhabism)

My first paragraph was about how Somali women were treated historically and how it reflects to modern-day divisions of labour: Somali women are still engaged in what other cultures would consider "male" work, backbreaking work.

My second paragraph was about how Somali women were emotionally abused by their husbands because they had no means of providing for themselves so they had to stay.

I agree with your point about importing versions of Islam that appear to be influenced by Asian culture.

Bronco

GEELJIRE WITH NO GEEL
Not by sheer virtue.

Women deserve equal representation because we are half or more than half of the population. Just like every "clan" gets representation, so does every gender.

Somalia is corrupt and deeply unjust and correcting this injustice must start with the second creation of Allah, WOMEN.

I'm not even inherently opposed to it, though I think creating quotes is problematic, but that's a different conversation.

The particular part of the comment was not aimed at your OP, rather the comments after insinuating that the Somali males (with or without an asterisk) as a class destroyed or failed to build Somalia. Which is true... on a technicality. I think it's fair to say that it is a widespread sentiment among girls, at least in the diaspora. Nonetheless, having more women in politics is a band-aid solution to a much larger problem.

I'm not even inherently opposed to it, though I think creating quotes is problematic, but that's a different conversation.

The particular part of the comment was not aimed at your OP, rather the comments after insinuating that the Somali males (with or without an asterisk) as a class destroyed or failed to build Somalia. Which is true... on a technicality. I think it's fair to say that it is a widespread sentiment among girls, at least in the diaspora. Nonetheless, having more women in politics is a band-aid solution to a much larger problem.

As women we are naturally programmed to look to the male gender for overall leadership. Somali women are humiliated by the state of our nation which was caused by Somali men failing to reach a resolution. Even though many countries attempted to help.

This resentment is further compounded by Somali girls/women seeing how too many Somali males behave in the West, emulating ghetto groups and competing to be known as the most vicious criminals.

Somalis also have a weird culture that is a blend of matriarchy and patriarchy so Somali women and girls are expected to work at home and outside of the home.

Women/girls are just tired and annoyed at the conflicting messages and hypocrisy!

Somali society is vicious and deeply unjust to all the weak; women, children, minorities. In order to counter this, we need "affirmative action" to ensure temporary "fairness" until we work on solving the root issues.

My first paragraph was about how Somali women were treated historically and how it reflects to modern-day divisions of labour: Somali women are still engaged in what other cultures would consider "male" work, backbreaking work.

My second paragraph was about how Somali women were emotionally abused by their husbands because they had no means of providing for themselves so they had to stay.

I agree with your point about importing versions of Islam that appear to be influenced by Asian culture.
However in that first paragraph you just stated their role in nomadic somali society, I don't see any form of oppression then though i do see how people could use it in the present day to deny them in getting high statuses for example positions of government. I'm not sure what you mean by "no means of providing for themselves" when their husbands were the financial provider, or do you mean they themselves wanted jobs? I can't find anything that speaks of Somali women expressing remorse for that as I said they had roles as did the men, and if they seek financial independence in the present then there is no problem from me.

Don't mean on going back and forth with you just wanna see where you're coming from and finding common ground @PuntiteQueen

No, I appreciate it fully. Your comments are insightful and I like a good debate.
I'll have to put a pin in it for today as I have things to do now. Catch you next time !

Bronco

GEELJIRE WITH NO GEEL
As women we are naturally programmed to look to the male gender for overall leadership. Somali women are humiliated by the state of our nation which was caused by Somali men failing to reach a resolution. Even though many countries attempted to help.

This resentment is further compounded by Somali girls/women seeing how Somali males behave in the West, by emulating other ethnic groups and competing to be known as the most vicious criminals.

Somalis also have a weird culture that is a blend of matriarchy and patriarchy so Somali women and girls are expected to work at home and outside of the home.

Somali society is vicious and deeply unjust to all the weak; women, children, minorities. In order to counter this, we need "affirmative action" to ensure temporary "fairness" until we work on solving the root issues.

There are innumerous political and socio-culutral issues plaguing Somalia. Drawing a line between right and wrong, or rather progression and regression along gender lines is going to do absolutely nothing - that's the point I'm trying to get across. Somalia could have an all female leadership and it would do absolutely nothing to improve its standing. It won't stop the rape, the murders, clannism, instability and deep-seated corruption.

Somalis aren't ready to hear this, but you don't build a prosperous nation overnight. Somalia needs to do away with the sham democracy. Somalis are illiterate, poor, divided and few in numbers. None of Somalia's cures are waiting in a pseudo-democratic system.

As for your comment on the diaspora, I believe those are two entirely separate problems. To say that Somali women hold resentment because the men integrated into black culture makes no sense becaus both genders integrated into the same cultures. In fact, Somali men are LESS integrated in the best and worst sense which is where the problems stem from.

Calaf

Veni Vidi Vici
2022 CHESS CHAMP
GENERALISSIMO
VIP
If they are qualified and are capable of holding their office with pride and honour and be willing to do what is fufifled then why not. Why have a quota, it must be "may the best person win"

But the problem is, are you willing to change aspects of your lifestyle in order to take on the role? I mean, kid bearing and maternaity. Will they be a hinderence to you?

If the answer is no, feel free and may the best person win.

lmfao. white Christian women were saying the same shit during the suffrage.

look at the state of white women today.

rape is punished severely in Somalia and compared to other shitholes without a government we're doing very well

what child marriage? lol. 16 is considered adult age in somalia. no one marriaes kids in somalia.

stop cappin naya.

There is no severe punishment for rape in Somalia . What a lot of Somalis are against about this bill isnt just the age, but forcing even girls who have reached marriage age when in Islam the first condition for marriage is consent from the two people who want to marry. The parents do not have the right to frocefully choose a spouse for their child Islamically or force their child to get married.