Somali Swords

Hamzza

VIP
How come Somali shields are so tiny? Wouldn't they be ineffective against the Ethiopian shotel?
View attachment 270235
Not only Somali shields Ethiopian shields were also similarly small.
222.jpg

From what I've read the emphasis was on fast attacks to reduce the time the opponent has, a small shield to lighten the load. Body shape might also be noted, with not much surface area to cover for a slim person's abdomen.

Garaad diinle

๎€š๎€ž๎€ข๎€œ๎€  ๎€ ๎€Ÿ๎€ก๎€๎€›
The curved swords we know of today come from modern day Central Asia, call it the scimitar or Kilij, These Turkic badboys conquered the whole world with it because its easier to slash them with a curved sword while on horse back.
Scimitar is a corruption of shamshir which is a persian word meaning it came through persia into the arab world.
I don't think the Billao is trying to emulate the scimitar in anyway, its a short sword. What I think is its just an alternative weapon when the spear breaks.
Yes the somali sword isn't a main weapon but a secondary weapon much like the romans but these aforementioned curved swords seem to be status simple rather than a weapon of war specially since they are carried by people who use firearms in somalia. If you look at the hilt of some of these swords their design is unique to somalia and resembles the somali sword hilt.

JPmyQjQ.jpg

Last edited:

Garaad diinle

๎€š๎€ž๎€ข๎€œ๎€  ๎€ ๎€Ÿ๎€ก๎€๎€›
Not all somali shields were small some were very big specially these used by issa.
unebRNx.jpg

The reason for their small size were the coast, the availability of material meaning leather or the need of it, not every somali would like to carry a huge shield on their shoulder.

Trending