Somali script needs to be either updated (Latin script) or completely changed (indigenous)

Status
Not open for further replies.
There needs to be an institution in Somaliland/Somalia that preserves the language and it rich history. Nowadays, I see it being more and more common back home to mix Somali and and ingiriisi, even though many of the English wireless have suitable af Soomaali alternatives.

One of the few benefits of the kacaan regeime was to promote and standardise the Somali language but sadly the civil war has halted progress.

I believe the current standard bearer for the regulation of af Soomaali is Djibouti since the Regional Somali Language Academy is based there.

Here's what wiki has to say about the RSLA:

On 28 June 2013, the Government of Djibouti, the Federal Government of Somalia and the Government of Ethiopia launched the Regional Somali Language Academy at a ceremony in Djibouti City. The event was organized by Djibouti's Ministry of Islamic Affairs, Culture and Waqf in conjunction with the Somali-Speaking PEN Centre of Djibouti, and was attended by around 50 prominent Somali-speaking intellectuals from the region and elsewhere. Among the guests were Somalia's Minister of Information, Posts and Telecommunications Abdullahi Elmoge Hersi, the Somaliland region in northwestern Somalia's Minister of Culture Abiib Diriye Nur, and the Vice President of the Somali Region of Ethiopia Abdihakim Igal Omar.[1]

In January 2015, President of Somalia Hassan Sheikh Mohamud announced that the Regional Somali Language Academy was slated to be finalized in conjunction with the governments of Djibouti and Ethiopia.[2] Among the scheduled projects was the construction of a new headquarters for the Academy in Mogadishu, in recognition of Somalia's traditional position as the center for the development and promotion of the Somali language.[3] In February 2015, the foundation stone for the new Regional Somali Language Academy was officially laid at an inauguration ceremony in Mogadishu attended by President Mohamud, President of Djibouti Ismaïl Omar Guelleh, federal cabinet ministers, legislators and delegates.[4]

The academy is the first such regional language regulator for Somali.[1] It is officially mandated with preserving the Somali language and culture in Greater Somalia.[4]

One of the few benefits of the kacaan regeime was to promote and standardise the Somali language but sadly the civil war has halted progress.

I believe the current standard bearer for the regulation of af Soomaali is Djibouti since the Regional Somali Language Academy is based there.

Here's what wiki has to say about the RSLA:

On 28 June 2013, the Government of Djibouti, the Federal Government of Somalia and the Government of Ethiopia launched the Regional Somali Language Academy at a ceremony in Djibouti City. The event was organized by Djibouti's Ministry of Islamic Affairs, Culture and Waqf in conjunction with the Somali-Speaking PEN Centre of Djibouti, and was attended by around 50 prominent Somali-speaking intellectuals from the region and elsewhere. Among the guests were Somalia's Minister of Information, Posts and Telecommunications Abdullahi Elmoge Hersi, the Somaliland region in northwestern Somalia's Minister of Culture Abiib Diriye Nur, and the Vice President of the Somali Region of Ethiopia Abdihakim Igal Omar.[1]

In January 2015, President of Somalia Hassan Sheikh Mohamud announced that the Regional Somali Language Academy was slated to be finalized in conjunction with the governments of Djibouti and Ethiopia.[2] Among the scheduled projects was the construction of a new headquarters for the Academy in Mogadishu, in recognition of Somalia's traditional position as the center for the development and promotion of the Somali language.[3] In February 2015, the foundation stone for the new Regional Somali Language Academy was officially laid at an inauguration ceremony in Mogadishu attended by President Mohamud, President of Djibouti Ismaïl Omar Guelleh, federal cabinet ministers, legislators and delegates.[4]

The academy is the first such regional language regulator for Somali.[1] It is officially mandated with preserving the Somali language and culture in Greater Somalia.[4]

Lol Reer Djibouti Somali is bad. I even prefer Reer Xamar dialect to they're childish af Soomaali. Somalis have truly fallen when we can't even safeguard our national tongue.:ohlord:

That's very hard when the scripts are called Gadabuursi, osmanya (after the MJ guy who created it) and Kaddare (after the Hawiye guy that created it).

This is why the scripts on the caves and rocks are better, they are not only much older, which provides a historical connection to our ancestors but they are also completely with out baggage. Unless someone hates the ancient south Arabians for some reason.

lol my point is why does it matter if its called gadabursi, majerteen, hawiye or isaaq... that is a retarded reason to reject a script and its irrelevant.
its like a canadian rejecting something because the creator is from ottawa, Vancouver or iqaluit. who careesss.

anyway i don't know enough about the actual scripts to have an opinion on this, but i don't care what it is one of the above mentioned or the inscriptions from the cave, as long as its indigenous.

lol my point is why does it matter if its called gadabursi, majerteen, hawiye or isaaq... that is a retarded reason to reject a script and its irrelevant.
its like a canadian rejecting something because the creator is from ottawa, Vancouver or iqaluit. who careesss.

anyway i don't know enough about the actual scripts to have an opinion on this, but i don't care what it is one of the above mentioned or the inscriptions from the cave, as long as its indigenous.

Lol, you or I might not care, but the average Somali obviously does since they can't even share a tuulo without fighting.

That's very hard when the scripts are called Gadabuursi, osmanya (after the MJ guy who created it) and Kaddare (after the Hawiye guy that created it).

This is why the scripts on the caves and rocks are better, they are not only much older, which provides a historical connection to our ancestors but they are also completely with out baggage. Unless someone hates the ancient south Arabians for some reason.

also by saying "so and so" named after someone from "so and so" clan... you realize all somalis have a clan name attached to them. So are we to reject anything and everything any somali does because naturally they will have a "so and so" clan attached to them as far as qabilists are concerned. Its so retarded and backwards this mentality needs to die.

Unless someone hates the ancient south Arabians for some reason.

giphy.gif

Lol, you or I might not care, but the average Somali obviously does since they can't even share a tuulo without fighting.

yeah but don't perpetuate or appease that mentality, you're encouraging the problem with that and its as good as the clannists who do care.

also by saying "so and so" named after someone from "so and so" clan... you realize all somalis have a clan name attached to them. So are we to reject anything and everything any somali does because naturally they will have a "so and so" clan attached to them as far as qabilists are concerned. Its so retarded and backwards this mentality needs to die.

Bro, we're dealing with a people who can't even share towns e.g. Gaalkacyo, Burco etc. They don't even agree on the simple things, and you want us to use a script called Gadabuursi? Baby steps.

Bro, we're dealing with a people who can't even share towns e.g. Gaalkacyo, Burco etc. They don't even agree on the simple things, and you want us to use a script called Gadabuursi? Baby steps.

we are not dealing with anyone. its just us on some forum and people want to bring qabil into it, were not here writing this into law and its not happening in the foreseeable future. just don't bring qabil up here and appease that mentality while simultaneously accusing people back home of it.

we are not dealing with anyone. its just us on some forum and people want to bring qabil into it, were not here writing this into law and its not happening in the foreseeable future. just don't bring qabil up here and appease that mentality while simultaneously accusing people back home of it.

Are you not understanding what I'm saying? It is a fact and reality of life in Somalia, whether I appease it or not - whatever that's supposed to mean. It is a fact of life outside your opinion and the average Somali both back home and in diaspora engages in it subconsciously.

Are you not understanding what I'm saying? It is a fact and reality of life in Somalia, whether I appease it or not - whatever that's supposed to mean. It is a fact of life outside your opinion and the average Somali both back home and in diaspora engages in it subconsciously.

I've understood what you said, and i agree its probably true.
But why bring it up here? Unless you as an individual stop thinking in that way or are actively against it even if every single other somali isn't, it'll never change.

like "be the change you wish to see".and don't reject good ideas because of some bad ideas some people have... rejecting something bc of clan and saying its bc the people won't accept it in clannism itself.

I've understood what you said, and i agree its probably true.
But why bring it up here? Unless you as an individual stop thinking in that way or are actively against it even if every single other somali isn't, it'll never change.

like "be the change you wish to see".and don't reject good ideas because of some bad ideas some people have... rejecting something bc of clan and saying its bc the people won't accept it in clannism itself.

Yeah no, I pick my battles. I'm not gonna end tribalism with a Somali script. If there are better, less hassle alternatives, I'll go for that option. Right now, the script I mentioned is less hassle.

Apollo

VIP
I want to see a pan-Cushitic form of Esperanto (conlang). Ethiopia could have used that instead of ramming down Amharic down everyone's throat.

Yeah no, I pick my battles. I'm not gonna end tribalism with a Somali script. If there are better, less hassle alternatives, I'll go for that option. Right now, the script I mentioned is less hassle.

lol i don't know much about the scripts nor do i care about them much right now, I'm just triggered by this indirect qabyalad.

i don't expect you to end tribalism i just meant ending it in yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending