Somali Says She Will NEVER Identify As Black While Not Living In Her Homeland

El Nino

Cabsi cabsi
VIP
Somalis we’re once called caucasian ( I don’t believe in that by the way)

it goes to show westerns are the one who used these labels and you minority (as usual) just eat it up.

Westerners see somalis as black at the moment, thats all that matters. What affects black people affects us too (not all the time).

We look stupid saying we are not black when living in a place where somalis clearly are regarded as black. I identify as a muslim & somali with honestly just focusing on somalis, not other muslims. I still say Im black because

I fit the description
In my interest.

People should just say they are black and keep it moving, its not like other black communities mainly focus on their self.

What these ppl dont realise is no-one really gives a shit if you come from a tribe that sees itself as distinct from other africans. In the west you are a minority and you should integrate and try fit into the societal norms that exist here, and in the west we are considered black (even half white blacks are considered black who look more white than us), folks just need to make peace with this.

K-M-O

Somali.
Westerners see somalis as black at the moment, thats all that matters. What affects black people affects us too (not all the time).

We look stupid saying we are not black when living in a place where somalis clearly are regarded as black. I identify as a muslim & somali with honestly just focusing on somalis, not other muslims. I still say Im black because

I fit the description
In my interest.

People should just say they are black and keep it moving, its not like other black communities mainly focus on their self.

“Westerners see somalis as black at the moment”

It’s funny cause it’s actually the
quite the opposite: Somalis are known to be distinctive.

The moment an ajnabi sees a Somali guy is the moment they know that’s a Somali.

We’re known to be distinctive: the shade doesn’t mean crap: is all about the facial distinction; not the colour.

I fit the description
In my interest.

No they don’t they see us as foreigners. To them black is the same as African Americans. They know we’re not like them. Look how they treat ilhan omar. They treat her like a terrorist that works for isis. At the end they’ll never see us black like AAs. Somalis have a very distinct look everyone can tell.

I find it funny that you think white people can’t tell the difference between Africans. They colonized the entire continent, they have studied us more then we know ourselves.

Diaspora ambassador

''Dagaalka gala'' Garaad Jaamac Garaad Cali
VIP
Walaaliyaal it seems like the majority of africans are mentally colonized. How are these foreigners deciding how we identify.

Yaab badana everyone who says we are black whilst knowing about our rich history and heritage is a coon to me. Nothing more or less than a coon.

Fun fact if you identify to be something you are not you will be cursed by Allah the Al Mighty, the angels and the nabi may peace be upon him.

Stop trying to fit in the west as a black man. You are a somali african. We can have good relations with other communities, without joining them.

alien

📍outer space
VIP
why are somalis so loud. ethiopians, especially the older ones, also dont call themselves black but they arent so loud about it.

You would think that Somalia is Africa's richest and most influential country the way these people get so offended by some Somalis not identifying as Black.

Walle, can you imagine what will happen when Somalia gets fully back on her feet if so many Black people are so tied into how we identify despite Somalia's current situation? 🤣

What these ppl dont realise is no-one really gives a shit if you come from a tribe that sees itself as distinct from other africans. In the west you are a minority and you should integrate and try fit into the societal norms that exist here, and in the west we are considered black (even half white blacks are considered black who look more white than us), folks just need to make peace with this.
Balck is not a culture because an Australian aborigine and AA are not related how are we related to AA?

The only differences I pick is Gaal iyo muslim.

A European American is closer to African American than a Somali joth culturaly and religiously.

So grouping somalis with African americans and removing tamil who look like mid night is bullshit because a tamil gaal is closer to African black american than Somali.

We have no cultural or religious relations to AA or Jamaicans.

Bejng labeled black is being stripled your identity and history.

If A somali is killed innocently in USA no AA will protest.
But a xoolo somali will protest and burn down stores if AA or Jamaican is brutally killed by authorities because of BLM nonsense.

Infact AA or Jamaicans would rather serve in the military and kill you in Somalia if Unclr Sam drafts them and they will not blink and call you a terrorist.

Keep it a boqol

La Ilaha Illallah
In my 20 something years I’ve never met a Nigerian or Ghanaian deny their black heritage. Like never.

Jamaicans were enslaved like AAs and have the exact same legacy.

The vast majority of slaves were transported from what is now Nigeria and Ghana.

Yes, those groups may deny being African American and may simply identify with being no African, but they can’t even dissociate with blackness the way Somalis can.
The fact of the matter is this groups would dissociate from the black label given a chance. Afro latinos, Africans etc. Some of these Somalis clearly don’t want to asicstion with with the label due to culture and religion. I’ll admit these are one off examples. Somalis are just loud about it

I wish African Americans and Carribbeans were given other names other than "Black". Thanks to how loud they are, all other ethnic groups in the diaspora, think all Africans are part of this mythical "Black" group with all its stereotypes and negative history. Black is synonymous with slavery, struggle and victim complex.

Somalis by nature are allergic to all of these stereotypes because we suffer from superiority complex and were not enslaved. Any Somali that knows their own history is resistant to being identified as anything other than Muslim, Somali or African.

"Black" identifiers want to boil it down to xenophobia, but it's far deeper than that. At the root level, we cannot identify with Niger-Congo Africans, within or outside Africa. We have nothing in common aside from religion with the ones that are Muslim.

why are somalis so loud. ethiopians, especially the older ones, also dont call themselves black but they arent so loud about it.

Ethiopians online are better mannered than Somalis or smart enough to write their thoughts in their own script. This is why I wish we used a native script like Osmanya instead of latin alphabet.

Somalis refusing to be called African is being oxymoron.
But claimming to be black is another oxymoron.

Cadaan would prefer an AA or Jamaican over somali any day because they share religon culture which is gaalnimo.

A jamaican would even insult you if you call him african.

When the somali girl in manchester was drowned and killed by racist cadaan school kids the authorities decided to kill the case.

It was Asian particularly muslims that protested on her behalf.

I am lroud to be called African but not Black because I have a history and legacy.

The moors who conquered Spain were never called black but moors.
Black is associated with racism undertone.We have gradualy and psychologically accepted in even though tamil,Aborigines and tgose in New guinea pa pau are not classified as black.

If you accept to be classed as a dog and you accept it then you are a dog.

One thing I know is Jamaicans/ AA hate you more than cadaan and woyld take sides with cadaan any day anytime.They will cluster you with arab or asian and call you a terrorist.

The next stereotype a somali will acxept is being called terrorist a label they label 2 billion muslims in the globe just because a minority of them using western ideologies and secularism have committed these horrible acts.

Balck is not a culture because an Australian aborigine and AA are not related how are we related to AA?
Not a real 1 to 1 equivalent, aboriginals and south indians have zero african blood. Black here refers to african ancestry which somalis do have at a predominant amount (60%), which is similar to african americans 25% on average but the somali equivalent 40% is seen also as african americans or black (and no one creates a fuss about this). You have plenty of black americans who look very similar to somalis, and this is actually much more common you realise thats because we share similar ancestry (african + euro/west asian) unlike aboriginals who look very distinct.
The only differences I pick is Gaal iyo muslim.
This has nothing to do with culture or religion, no Tanzanian muslim in their right mind would reject the label black.
A European American is closer to African American than a Somali joth culturaly and religiously.
True but again the black label is formed around western conception of race. You may reject it in Somalia but it's weird for a somali who is supposed to integrate and contribute to his adopted society is trying to so desperately isolate themselves especially in a case where it makes no sense .
If A somali is killed innocently in USA no AA will protest.
But a xoolo somali will protest and burn down stores if AA or Jamaican is brutally killed by authorities because of BLM nonsense.
This is not true, i have seen cases where african americans have marched for somalis murdered by cop(s).

Keep it a boqol

La Ilaha Illallah
Idk why our youth are so caught up with this race bs. We come from a society that identifys by our clan first before Somali. Focus on your education, your health your livelihood and future then these stupid Identity poltics. Just say your African if you don’t like the black label

Keypoints:

1. Race is nothing but a social construct.

2. Not all black peoples are the same. Khoisan differs to that of a Bantu and a Nilotic is different to a Madow from the Sahel. Their cultures, ethnicities and languages are completely different. Hence, why do Somalis act like it’s them vs the rest of Subsaharan Africans with regards to being ‘different’. It reeks of ignorance and self-centeredness.

3. Using deen to differentiate yourself from other madows is ridiculously ignorant. Hausas, half of Yorubas, Malis, Gaboon and the list goes on are all Muslim Bantu/Sahel countries/ Ethnic groups

4. I’m all for Somalis not wanting to be called black, I get that we have our own traditions and our ancestors have always identified with their deen, tribe and then ethnicity. But that is the case for all black peoples.

5. Comparing yourself to Tamils as a way to suggest that Somalis shouldn’t call themselves as black is rather silly. Somalis are indeed 60% Subsaharan African. That is a fact. We have more ‘black’ blood than we do West Asian.

6. Going back to my original point. Blackness, whiteness ect doesn’t really exist outside of today’s modern current climate and in the West, we are seen as such.

7. If you want to reject being black as you simply want to call yourself by what your ancestors did. Then I get it. But what I don’t get is the whole we’re different to other black people shtick we have going on. Other madow groups have been Muslim for centuries as well. Also, all black groups are rather different to each other. Africa is made up of Nilotic peoples, Bantus, Khoisan, Sahel people and Cushite. What makes it laughable is that we are a mixed peoples whose ancestors were rather similar to Nilotic people. Therefore, by every metric 60% of our DNA is without doubt seen as black by Somalis and non Somalis alike.

Last edited:

Awad

عادل | جامعة الدفاع العربي
Who the f*ck cares imagine concentrating your time on a subject so absolutely fucking retarded, ceeb asf

Keypoints:

1. Race is nothing but a social construct.

2. Not all black peoples are the same. Khoisan differs to that of a Bantu and a Nilotic is different to a Madow from the Sahel.

3. Using deen to differentiate yourself from other madows is ridiculously ignorant. Hausas, Malis, Gaboon and the list goes on are all Muslim Bantu/Sahel countries.

4. I’m all for Somalis not wanting to be called black, I get that we have our own traditions and our ancestors have always identified with their deen, tribe and then ethnicity. But that is the case for all black peoples.

5. Comparing yourself to Tamils as a way to suggest that Somalis shouldn’t call themselves as black is rather silly. Somalis are indeed 60% Subsaharan African. That is a fact. We have more ‘black’ blood than we do West Asian.

6. Going back to my original point. Blackness, whiteness ect doesn’t really exist outside of todays modern current climate and in the West, we are seen as such.
For once in my exquisite life, I agree with you wow, I’m I dreaming right now? Bloody hell.

Trending