Somali Says She Will NEVER Identify As Black While Not Living In Her Homeland

The fact of the matter is this groups would dissociate from the black label given a chance. Afro latinos, Africans etc. Some of these Somalis clearly don’t want to asicstion with with the label due to culture and religion. I’ll admit these are one off examples. Somalis are just loud about it

I was watching that video about the Cuban lady I understand where she’s coming from , and can see why others feel disrespected. Culturally she’s a Latino but in America she’s forced to identify with African American culture, but at the same time no one forced her to take on acting roles meant for AA. she would like more representation for her people . It came across bad I suppose

either way IMO it’s only U.K. Somalis that are fighting the black identity tag for obvious reasons the rest of the diaspora are not .

Hamzza

VIP
So skin color determines culture if so why isnt Tamil or Australian aborigines part of black community?

Also they keep saying sub sahara is sub sahara a continent?
No its part of Africa.

A boer or Tunisian Arab is African by common factor of sharing a continent.

But if Blackness is due to commonality of having a dark pigmentation then why isnt South Asians who are dark as hell not black?

Because blackness has racial undertone of being categorised as ni.ggers aka cotton pickers or Kunta Kinte.

The evolution of slave slurs in America was first slaves then nig.ger then black.

AA academics would rather be called African American than called black.
Your whole argument is that; Black/African have negative meaning/stereotypes behind it, so it's better to not identify with such names.
It's like Scandinavians refusing to identify with other North-Western Europeans, as Europeans have a bad reputation of Imperialism and Slavery.

We are Genetically, Linguistically and culturally Black/Africans. Tunusians, Boers and South Indians are not it's that simple.

Tunisians are mostly Eurasian in their DNA.
Boers speak Indo-European languages.
South Indians have no relations with the people of Africa whatsoever.

We are 60%+ SSA.
We speak Cushitic, African language.
We are mostly Dhuxul.

Your whole argument is that; Black/African have negative meaning/stereotypes behind it, so it's better to not identify with such names.
It's like Scandinavians refusing to identify with other North-Western Europeans, as Europeans have a bad reputation of Imperialism and Slavery.

We are Genetically, Linguistically and culturally Black/Africans. Tunusians, Boers and South Indians are not it's that simple.

Tunisians are mostly Eurasian in their DNA.
Boers speak Indo-European languages.
South Indians have no relations with the people of Africa whatsoever.

We are 60%+ SSA.
We speak Cushitic, African language.
We are mostly Dhuxul.
You are shansi right or barwani right?

Still consider my self black but it doesn’t define me first, as being ‘black’ associates you with African Americans and I don’t consider myself with that.

I’m more African than ‘black’ but skin tone yes I’m ‘black’. I have pride in being Somali and African before being ‘black’.

If I were to list it it would be,

Somali
African
Black
British

Still consider my self black but it doesn’t define me first, as being ‘black’ associates you with African Americans and I don’t consider myself with that.

I’m more African than ‘black’ but skin tone yes I’m ‘black’. I have pride in being Somali and African before being ‘black’.

If I were to list it it would be,

Somali
African
Black
British
I agree with this. “Black” is on the very bottom of my priorities

Those Somalis who say they’re ‘black’ are ignorant in terms of where the term ‘black’ come from and the meaning of the word ‘black’. The term ‘black’ refers to slavery. Somalis weren’t slaves. The white man slaves owners used to call them ‘black’ ‘’ etc. Somalis need to stop saying they’re black.
Black meaning slave is bullshit lol, its just a physical description that has been used thousands of hears

Prophet even said theres no difference between black and white skin 1,400 years ago, and many famous sahabas were described as having black skin

No, the way a Bantu differs from a Nilote is not the same as how Somalis differ from either group.

Sub Saharan African ancestry, despite its diversity, can be grouped together to the exclusion of non-Sub Saharan African ancestry. This applies to other types of ancestry aswell. If you wanted to measure the amount of Sub Saharan African ancestry in Somalis, you could get away with using West Africans as a reference point, even though Somalis have little to no West African, same way if you wanted to gauge Eurasian ancestry in Somalis, if you used the French as a reference point it could also work, because these ancestries are distinct from one another and kinda monolithic when making points of comparison.

Lets say you created a software, which was designed to group which ever samples you input, into 2 distinct genetic groupings/cluster based on how similar the samples are to one another. Populations like Nigerians, South Africans, Kenyans, Congolese etc... will all go into 1 group with each other despite being genetically distinct from one another, same with Europeans and Asians who would ofc form the other group.

A group like Somalis who are 55% Sub Saharan African wouldn't fit well into either group due to having similar amounts of ancestry from both groups.

So yh, it kinda is Somali vs the rest of Sub Saharan Africa with regards to being ‘different’ and thats something thats backed by decades of genetics, and centuries of physical anthropology that consistently show Somalis non-Sub Saharan African heritage which has been estimated to be around 45%
Hmm interesting read. Either way, our 'madow' ancestry is higher than our West Asian it seems.

Why are we so dark then? That includes Northern Habeshas as well.
Skin colour is a very poor measure of African ancestry, think about South Asians and Australian Aboriginals, they can be very dark skinned whilst having practically no Sub Saharan African ancestry. Theres only really a handful of genes for skin colour and they are very sensitive to enviromental pressures. Skin colour is way too easily influenced by our environment to tell us anything meaningful about ancestry.

Whats considered "Non African" ancestry, is belived to have evolved anywhere from 70,000-100,000 years ago, genes most associated with lighter skin in Euros and West Asians evolved maybe 30,000 years ago, so theres a large discrepencay there which pretty much shows that for a certain period of time, no Non Africans in West Eurasia could have been pale/lightskinned, and even then, lightskin only spread to certain parts of Eurasia very recently, so Lightskin =/= Non African, nor does, Darkskin =/= Sub Saharan African
1664308995954.png

These people easily have way less Sub Saharan ancestry than palest pinkish white Berbers you can find.

I remember we had a conversation about Somalis Eurasian/Natufian ancestry, and I said its not really Natufian but Indigenous Egyptians Hunter Gatherers + Levantine Farmers. Well the Egyptians probably didn't have genes associated with lighter skin, due to the fact that other fossils during the pre-farming era of North Africa also don't show genes for lighter skin, as well as even most fossils in the Levant, which includes the Natufians, the genes for lighter skin have been found in little to no Natufian remains, they're still predominantly MENA/Eurasian but simply not light skinned/pale.

Anatolian/Aegean farmers spread into the rest of the Middle East/Europe around 9000 years ago and spread genes for lighter skin, they, alongside the Natufians are ancestral to Levantine Farmers, which is probably where Somalis got most of their light skin genes from, the Mediterranean descendents of these Anatolian/Aegean farmers also settled in the Maghreb, they can easily make up 30-45% of a Maghrebis genome, which is a big reason why (among other reasons) Maghrebis are so lightskinned despite being around 20% Sub Saharan African, because the source of their MENA ancestry happened to be lightskinned whilst ours simply lacked those genes.

Somalis are not black. The word “black” came from white slave owners/masters. Somali weren’t slaves. Those African Americans and Caribbean’s are black because they were slaves.

There is no people in America or in the Caribbean who was a slave and whose parents and grandparents were slaves as well. Fyi, slavery in the USA ended 150 years ago. In the British empire, it had ended far beyond that.

Besides, Europeans came to Somalia and the rest of Africa and colonized it. So I don't know why you're hiding behind we were not subjected to "slavery". There were Somalis who were captured on the coastal lines and sold into slavery. You need to understand slavery occurred because the victims were overpowered, chained, and sent to other continents through ships. You really can't blame the victims. They found themselves in a situation that was beyond their control.

Finally, wherever African captives were taken to, they revolted and resisted whatever means that was available to them. State apparatus were always used to suppress their just uprising. And this should teach you as fellow Africans, we should not run away from being identified as blacks. Yes, in the American context, every Somali in the US is a black man or woman.

AAs use to be called negros or the pc version African Americans. Both them and the Jamaicans were so loud on wanting to be called black. So, white people decided to call them black politically.

what do Somalis gain for identifying black?

Trending

Latest posts