Cadceed - Sun
Jarmaad - Early walk
Heello - A type of traditional dance
Karkar - Boil
Hayaan/Hayaamid - To move out(Geeljire)
Hagardaamo
(this sounds so cool) - A type of harm

I also learned the somali Phrase

Eray Bixin to mean Finding exact words in translations.

one

ᶜᵃʷᵒ ᶜᵃʷˡᵒ
Maya, Waa Hees La yiraah "Jamiilaay" oo aan maalin dhawayd Youtubeka ka dhagaystay. Waan la dhacay heesta because the lyrics used in there had exclusively J letters in Somali. I was really impressed by the person who composed the song.

Here

Waad la dhacday heesta, miyaa? :siilaanyolaugh: I gave it a listen, and it sounds like a generic jacayl song to me lol
The song reminded me how rich our language is. America waa go'doon Soomaliyana ka fog. You don't get to enjoy the company of somalis all the time like you would if you were back in the country. That is why I want to spend my old days back home inshallah.
Not sure if I read that right lol but....Don't wait until you get old to visit back home. Go back home during your vacations. Talk to the elderly, they're the gatekeepers to dhaqankeena. Whenever I go back home, I only hang out with my ayeeyos because I always learn something interesting from them.

Thanks for the translation of Masuugid btw, In my excitement, I forgot to give thanks.
I remembered it now. Saluugsan is the right word for it. As Poets already mentioned, it can also mean bakhaylnimo.
You're welcome. I like your thread, keep posting more stuff.

Jamasho - Something to do with love.
Jamasho - Means craving, so it doesn't always have to be about love. For example, "Maanta waxaan jamanayaa saxan bariis ah oo aan kaligay jamta ka saaro":eating:
Let us find these somali words in English:
Jarmaad
Eray Bixin to mean Finding exact words in translations.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Cadceed = You are right also, has to do with Qorrax. The sun has nine names in Somali and Cadceed is one of them.

Sun = Cadceed
Sun = Qorrax
Sun = Kaliil
Sun = Kaah(ever saw somalis from Somali Galbeed naming their businesses Kaah something with a picture of sun shining?) exactly right lol. They are from Qorraxeey and they brought the sun with them.

I am missing some more words for the Sun BUT THAT IS what I can remember. Amazing right?

Dhiillo has to do with Emotions and Feelings of wanting to help a victim? Somalis use the word when they are encouraging for war or to get justice for some victims.

Hebel Dhiillaa gashay etc.

I found the Somali word for "jet black", say the Sudani version of black. Back home, Somalis nicknamed the darkest kids "Sudani" because of their jet black skin colour. The same way they nicknamed the small-eyed kids "Shiino meaning Chinese".

Haybe, Hurre = Jet Black.

If some of your relatives are nicknamed as such, this is what it meant. A joke about their skin tone or their actual skin colour. That is how they got that Hurre Nick.

Samaalic Era

QurboExit
I found the Somali word for "jet black", say the Sudani version of black. Back home, Somalis nicknamed the darkest kids "Sudani" because of their jet black skin colour. The same way they nicknamed the small-eyed kids "Shiino meaning Chinese".

Haybe, Hurre = Jet Black.

If some of your relatives are nicknamed as such, this is what it meant. A joke about their skin tone or their actual skin colour. That is how they got that Hurre Nick.

Oraah is accent. Basically the authentic Somali word for Lahjad

Samaalic Era

QurboExit
That is amazing. My perception was wrong then. Good to know. One thing I realize is how Somali language has depth. We are blessed to have such ancient language.
Af Somali is indeed a very eloquent language. The sad thing is that to many back home, is does not mean as much to them as it does to us in the diaspora(khasaaro qurba-joog not included)

Waad la dhacday heesta, miyaa? :siilaanyolaugh: I gave it a listen, and it sounds like a generic jacayl song to me lol

Not sure if I read that right lol but....Don't wait until you get old to visit back home. Go back home during your vacations. Talk to the elderly, they're the gatekeepers to dhaqankeena. Whenever I go back home, I only hang out with my ayeeyos because I always learn something interesting from them.

I remembered it now. Saluugsan is the right word for it. As Poets already mentioned, it can also mean bakhaylnimo.

Jamasho - Means craving, so it doesn't always have to be about love. For example, "Maanta waxaan jamanayaa saxan bariis ah oo aan kaligay jamta ka saaro":eating:

Cawo, waa iga qoslisay with the saxan bariis example. Waa runtaa xagga magacyada qorraxda.

Xagga dhiillada, I thought Waa ficil kuu gala qaraabadaada ama qabiilka, Empathy but the negative kind in a way even though it is based on your connection to the victims(in the somali case, the aggressors themselves lol).

Afsoomaaligaada waa qatar. Macallin ii noqo in abti. Iska soo xaadiri meesha si aad ii saxdid markaan qaldanahay.

Afsoomaaliga waan aqaan laakiin kuma ihi khabiir. Dhal magaalo afsoomaali fiican ma yaqaanaan :)

Af Somali is indeed a very eloquent language. The sad thing is that to many back home, is does not mean as much to them as it does to us in the diaspora(khasaaro qurba-joog not included)

We are at risk. We pray Allah gives us good leadership that ensures the future stay of Somalis and their language. Somalis too busy fighting the wrong wars among themselves.

Afoosmaaligada gacan aan u taagay wallah. Macallimadda meesha aan kuu magacaabay. Waxaan jajabiyo adigaa iga saxaayo.

Also, the links you posted are not clickable. Mar kale soo dhaji si aan u eego. Waan ka helaa wax akhriska.

barasho wanaagsan Cawo.

Cawo = Habeen, Nasiib? Sax miyaa?

Waa ku mahad san tahay ka qayb galka meesha.

Cawo Cawlo,

Kusoo qor Cudurrada Guud Afsoomaali intaad marka hore Ingiriisi Erayada ku Qorto. Wax badan kama aqaan Cudurrada. Haddaad meel ku ogtahay liis erayada caafimaadka iyo tarjumaaddooda Englishka ah, noogu faa'iidee Abaayo.

Abaayo = Sis, southern version that is equivalent to Inadeer, Ina abti, Walaal. :)

Cawo, meesha noo nuuri inshallah.

Waxaad sheegtaan Shibbanayaasha labanlaabma.

I didn't know the entire list. I had an idea of what letters Somalis doubled. The letter D came to mind. As always when I am stuck on something, I consulted with professor google and read several links to see which one addressed the question asked.

I post the link on here

https://mataan20.wordpress.com/2014/07/31/ma-shibbanaa-mise-waa-shaqal/

Shibbane

B,T,J,X,KH,D,R,S,SH,DH,C,G,F,Q,K,L,M,N,W,H,Y.

The ones that double sometimes when Somalis talk/speak like in the word "Badda" = Sea( Note the Double D) are listed below.

The ones that Double

B,D,R,G,L,M,N.

According to the Article above, if we do not double, the meaning can change and he gave an example of this:

Carrab = Tongue
Carab = An Arab person.

By writing one "R", the meaning differes from writing double RR.

Now, Who can name Shibbane in ENGLISH?

This dude knows Somali very well. I am referring to the writer of the blog I posted above. Here is a good example he gives about words that have double letters in them and how the meaning changes when you don't double the shibbane letters.

Tusaale: Carrab haddii aynu fududayno waxa uu noqonaaya carab (nin carbeed), barre (nin bar leh) bare ( macallin), sallaan (ka la fuulo) salaan (bariidada), cadaawe (nacab) caddaawe (nin cad), dhammaan (gidigood) dhamaan (cabbaan).

Magacyada iskood u labanlaabma waxa ka mid ah kubbad,shibbane,cirro,dubbe,farrin,hurre,higgo, Alle,qoolley, bannaan iwm.

Shaqalladuna waa shantii soo hadhay oo kala ah (A,E,I,O,U.) waxaana marka ay dheeryihiin ee dhawaaqooda la jiidaayo lay yidhaa waa shaqal dheer sida({AA,EE,II,OO,UU.) halka marka ay gaaban yihiin na la yidhaa waa shaqal gaaban sida (A,E,I,O,U)

Carrab and Carab
Barre and Bar
Sallaan and Salaan
Caddaawe and Cadaawe
Dhammaan and Dhamaan

Kubbad = a ball
Shibbane = English?
Cirro = Gray hair
Dubbe = Hammer(if am right).
Farriin = a message
Hurre = Jet Black
Higgo = Hiccup
Carrab = Tongue
Barre = someone with a birth mark
Bar = both a "learn" and "a mark"
Sallaan = Ma jaranjaraa? if correct then Jaranjaro
Salaan = greeetings
Caddaawe = Light skinned
Cadaawe = Borrowed somali word from Arabic but in Somali it is Nacab.
Dhammaan = All of it. Total
Dhamaan = No idea.

Correct me or Add the missing meaning please.

What I learned from that Somali dictionary I posted:

Yoolaal = Loiter

Compare the two words in their own dictionaries respectively and you would be amazed:

From Somali To Somali Dictionary:

upload_2019-7-2_9-50-39.png

From the English Dic. and the word Loiter

upload_2019-7-2_9-52-15.png

Yoolaa = Si macno al'aan meel u istaagid(in translation it means to stand and linger around idly for no reason or without apparent pupose)

Loiter = Stand or wait around idly or without an apparent purpose.

Exactly same definitions.

So, Yoolaal = Loiter

:)

Samaalic Era

QurboExit
This dude knows Somali very well. I am referring to the writer of the blog I posted above. Here is a good example he gives about words that have double letters in them and how the meaning changes when you don't double the shibbane letters.

Tusaale: Carrab haddii aynu fududayno waxa uu noqonaaya carab (nin carbeed), barre (nin bar leh) bare ( macallin), sallaan (ka la fuulo) salaan (bariidada), cadaawe (nacab) caddaawe (nin cad), dhammaan (gidigood) dhamaan (cabbaan).

Magacyada iskood u labanlaabma waxa ka mid ah kubbad,shibbane,cirro,dubbe,farrin,hurre,higgo, Alle,qoolley, bannaan iwm.

Shaqalladuna waa shantii soo hadhay oo kala ah (A,E,I,O,U.) waxaana marka ay dheeryihiin ee dhawaaqooda la jiidaayo lay yidhaa waa shaqal dheer sida({AA,EE,II,OO,UU.) halka marka ay gaaban yihiin na la yidhaa waa shaqal gaaban sida (A,E,I,O,U)

Carrab and Carab
Barre and Bar
Sallaan and Salaan
Caddaawe and Cadaawe
Dhammaan and Dhamaan

Kubbad = a ball
Shibbane = English?
Cirro = Gray hair
Dubbe = Hammer(if am right).
Farriin = a message
Hurre = Jet Black
Higgo = Hiccup
Carrab = Tongue
Barre = someone with a birth mark
Bar = both a "learn" and "a mark"
Sallaan = Ma jaranjaraa? if correct then Jaranjaro
Salaan = greeetings
Caddaawe = Light skinned
Cadaawe = Borrowed somali word from Arabic but in Somali it is Nacab.
Dhammaan = All of it. Total
Dhamaan = No idea.

Correct me or Add the missing meaning please.

The strange thing is that in Somali, there only 5 double vowels but with the Latin script, there are double consonants. This needs to be looked into