Somali Linguistics Thread

Masuugid is to be stingy. Nin masuug ah waa nin bakhayl ah.

Not to be conflated with "nin wax masuugsan" that translates into "a man unsaitisfied with something / critisisng something".

btw poet, waxaan xusuustaa hooyaday ilaahay ha u naxariistee oo oran jirtay ""kan wax uun buu masuugaa markaan aragno". Si fiican uma fahmi jirin. I assumed she meant impatient all the time. Had No clue inuu Bakhlaykana ku magacaaban yahay Masuuge.

:russ:

Last edited:
Let us find these somali words in English:

Oraah
Oori
Assay ama Asaay
Xabaal, Xabaalo
Dulmar
Cadceed
Jarmaad
Dhiillo
Heello
(I need to know this in English myself", In somali pjrase they say Heellada noo tuma. Is heello name for the dance or it has some meaning as a word? Sounds a fun word to me.
Karkar
Hayaan/Hayaamid
Luggooyo
Hagardaamo
(this sounds so cool)

I also learned the somali Phrase

Eray Bixin to mean Finding exact words in translations.

How many somali words for the English word "One"?

Answer

Xabbad = One
Hal = One
Keli = One, alone
Mid = One

When a somali tells you (Mid Mid - Hal hal, Xabad xabad )iigu dhiib, it means hand them to me one by one.

Amazing right? We have four words to describe a number and associated conditions like loneliness(keli), how many of several items you want( if you respond Xabbad, it means you want a single item or just one)..

Also, I used the word Hal before in my first post and it means two things in Somali depending on the context.

Hal = She-camel
Hal = One

You can kinda get a sense of what makes a nation a nation right? When their language is this rich. Allow Somali dhowr meelay joogtaba iyo dhamaan muslimiinta. Iyo bani'aadamka kalee u baahan gargaarkaada.

Last edited:
Let us find these somali words in English:

Oraah
Oori
Assay ama Asaay
Xabaal, Xabaalo
Dulmar
Cadceed
Jarmaad
Dhiillo
Heello
(I need to know this in English myself", In somali pjrase they say Heellada noo tuma. Is heello name for the dance or it has some meaning as a word? Sounds a fun word to me.
Karkar
Hayaan/Hayaamid
Luggooyo
Hagardaamo
(this sounds so cool)

I also learned the somali Phrase

Eray Bixin to mean Finding exact words in translations.
InshaAllah I'll try to answer the ones I think I know

Luggooyo - a time waster, wuxu tilmaamayaa dadaalka khasaara

Cadceed - clouds, sky or maybe sunshine

Discrimination = Hayb Sooc

Apartheid = Midab Sooc, Midan Takoor

Ethnicity = Dhalasho, Jinsi

Law Breaker
= Xeer Jabiye

Violation = Xad Gudub.

Waa markiina, soo socda waryaada lol.

InshaAllah I'll try to answer the ones I think I know

Luggooyo - a time waster, wuxu tilmaamayaa dadaalka khasaara

Cadceed - clouds, sky or maybe sunshine

Degamada Waaberi, breh, qosolkaa iga dhamaaday. Ciyaalka xaafadda inaa tahay waa is caariftay.

Okay, waa dadaashay. You got them both right. But to add some more:

Luggooyo = also means Undermining. This in addition to what you said because it also means waste of time as you mentioned.

Cadceed = You are right also, has to do with Qorrax. The sun has nine names in Somali and Cadceed is one of them.

Sun = Cadceed
Sun = Qorrax
Sun = Kaliil
Sun = Kaah(ever saw somalis from Somali Galbeed naming their businesses Kaah something with a picture of sun shining?) exactly right lol. They are from Qorraxeey and they brought the sun with them.

I am missing some more words for the Sun BUT THAT IS what I can remember. Amazing right?

Is dhiillo plural for the word dhiil? If so then its called milk jug or milk churn.

I don't know saxib. If I guess though,

Dhiil, Dhiisha = Tradtional milk container Somali nomads make themselves out of trees?

53123431_322633345116654_4079991469348082720_n.jpg

This hooyo below is also making Saab for the dhiil SO SHE CAN carry the container on her back etc.

photo_by_burhan-copy.jpg

Karkar can mean boiling (water) or scorching heat.

Kar on its own can mean to do or must do. One can ask "Sideeh u karikaraa/karaa?" Wich means how am I able to do something? Am I right?

Is dhiillo plural for the word dhiil? If so then its called milk jug or milk churn.

Dhiillo has to do with Emotions and Feelings of wanting to help a victim? Somalis use the word when they are encouraging for war or to get justice for some victims.

Hebel Dhiillaa gashay etc.

Dhiillo has to do with Emotions and Feelings of wanting to help a victim? Somalis use the word when they are encouraging for war or to get justice for some victims.

Hebel Dhiillaa gashay etc.

Nope never used before, sounds way too close to the word dh*llo.
:mjlol:

Hmmm... now that I thing about it dhiil plural is dhiilasha.

Karkar can mean boiling or scorching heat.

Kar on its own can mean to do or must do. One can ask "Sideeh u karikaraa/karaa?" Wich means how am I able to do something? Am I right?

You are right Saxib. You reminded me the variations of the word

Kar = Can Do, able to,
Karti = Ability, another somali word Awood.
Karkar = go-getter, the person who can get the job done always

Nice Saxib.

Nope never used before, sounds way too close to the word dh*llo.
:mjlol:

Hmmm... now that I thing about it dhiil plural is dhiilasha.

the one you have in mind has one "i" . This one is Dhiillo with the double "i". I am certain it has to do with emotions. Just don't know it in English.

YEA, Dhiisha is one, and Dhiilasha plural.

btw, Loyan, your name has a meaning too. I just don't know it. Tell me saxib if you know. reer waqooyigaa la baxa.

Qowdhan
Loyan
Sooyaan

:lolbron:

Do you know the word waqooyi is very ancient and most somalis don't know the original meaning of it. We use it to indicate north, but it has an actual old meaning.

btw, Loyan, your name has a meaning too. I just don't know it. Tell me saxib if you know. reer waqooyigaa la baxa.

Qowdhan
Loyan
Sooyaan

:lolbron:

Do you know the word waqooyi is very ancient and most somalis don't know the original meaning of it. We use it to indicate north, but it has an actual old meaning.

My mom gave it to me I thought it was common Ogaadeen/galbeed name.

My mom gave it to me I thought it was common Ogaadeen/galbeed name.

I must have assumed wrong then. I thought that was a northern name. Would be funny if she tells you that it is derived from

Lo'Yahan which means someone whose wealth comes from owning tons of cow herds. Like a man who owns hundreds and hundreds of cows. That is and used to be a measure of wealth among nomadic Somalis. The greater the number of herds a man owns , the wealthier he was. A stretch, but would be funny if she told you that is where the name came from.

This is simlar origin to the name Geelle.

Geelle = Owner of Camels, specially large number of camels.

Last edited:
Just realised Somali male names like Mahad, Gacal and Faarax are all womens name in English. Mahad=Grace and Faarax=Joy and Gacal=Precious. While male names like Nuur is in Somali Iftin which is a female name.
:hmm:

Trending

Latest posts