Somali & Horner Genetic Models

Som

VIP
And it's so homogenous too. Even with differing admixtures like how Libyans have loads of Arabian admixture, the whole region is like 15-25% SSA. So weird to remind myself when I sometimes meet lighter skinned and blue-eyed Maghrebis that I'm looking at a saaxiib who maybe 1/4 brudda.

:mjlol:

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Really? Maghrebis are mostly light skinned, obviously darker than levantine Arabs but still they don't look that much african expect for a few outliers who are black. I read that Egyptians have around 8-10% SSA ancestry

Apollo

VIP
Really? Maghrebis are mostly light skinned, obviously darker than levantine Arabs but still they don't look that much african expect for a few outliers who are black. I read that Egyptians have around 8-10% SSA ancestry

Maghrebis are lighter due to having more Anatolian farmer ancestry.

Egyptians, even Muslim Egyptians, are more non-SSA genetically because they have a higher proportion of Natufian/Arabian-like ancestry than Maghrebis.

Skin color is a bad measure. Indians are much darker than Arabs, but they are still much less African related than all Arabs.

World

VIP
Interesting. The subsaharan competent is significantly lower than what it should be according to studies. If we add south African hunter gatherers + sub Saharan you get just a little bit more than 50% subsaharan African ancestry while it should be slightly above 60% according to most studies.
@Shimbiris
Unless they are mixed, there aren’t any Somali samples above 60 % SSA. It is on average 55 %.

Apollo

VIP
Unless they are mixed, there aren’t any Somali samples above 60 % SSA. It is on average 55 %.

It depends on the definition of SSA and what the component is made from.

The more paleolithic the SSA definition is, the lower the number goes. The more East African samples (including HOA HGs etc) the higher the number gets.

SSA is also not a genuine component. The Khoisan and Yoruba are less related to each other than the French and Yoruba are (especially using whole genome tech).

Som

VIP

The more paleolithic the SSA definition is, the lower the number goes. The more East African samples (including HOA HGs etc) the higher the number gets.

SSA is also not a genuine component. The Khoisan and Yoruba are less related to each other than the French and Yoruba are (especially using whole genome tech).
Yes but at the end of the day SSA is made of three main components (correct me if I'm wrong) which are Nilotic Dinka like DNA, Bantu and Khoisan.

Apollo

VIP
Yes but at the end of the day SSA is made of three main components (correct me if I'm wrong) which are Nilotic Dinka like DNA, Bantu and Khoisan.

More or less, but you forgot the Pygmies and the various types of Eastern HGs.

You can use SSA as a short cut, but in the genetic sense it is not a real component. Just like Eurasian is barely a component.

Som

VIP

Egyptians, even Muslim Egyptians, are more non-SSA genetically because they have a higher proportion of Natufian/Arabian-like ancestry than Maghrebis.

Skin color is a bad measure. Indians are much darker than Arabs, but they are still much less African related than all Arabs.
So are maghrebis really 15% + subsaharan African? That's a lot. Algerians and most tunisians look very white to me , maybe Moroccans have more SSA. A guy like Mohamed Salah from Liverpool looks more African to me than Benzema or Zidane.
Is there a difference between Arab maghrebis and Berber maghrebis when it comes to SSA DNA?

Apollo

VIP
So are maghrebis really 15% + subsaharan African? That's a lot. Algerians and most tunisians look very white to me , maybe Moroccans have more SSA. A guy like Mohamed Salah from Liverpool looks more African to me than Benzema or Zidane.
Is there a difference between Arab maghrebis and Berber maghrebis when it comes to SSA DNA?

It is not because they have mixed more with SSAs than Egyptians in recent years. It is mainly due to the Taforalt population which lived in the Maghreb before the Anatolian farmers was likely more SSA shifted than the population living in Egypt at the same time period. @Shimbiris posted correspondence with researchers who have access to older types of Ancient Egyptians and apparently they were mostly similar to Natufians on the SSA to Eurasia axis.

Even Rif Berbers and the Kabyle Berbers, who are phenotypically the 'whitest' North Africans are slightly more SSA autosomally than Northern Egyptian Muslims.

Basically groups with more Anatolian farmer ancestry tend to be lighter than groups with more of the Egyptian/Natufian/Arabian component (like Egyptians, Saudis etc).

This is an important fact one has to keep in the background. SSA is mainly about general relative genetic drift (not about specific relational affinities between African populations) that OOA people went through often to highlight heuristic data points. A half West African and Egyptian person is less close to an Egyptian than a random Italian (who has no direct Egyptian ancestry) is to an Egyptian. So on a distance scale, the SSA, in this case, West African, shows deep characteristics that I think all Eurasians lack because of rapid genetic drift after the small effective population's size underwent continual founder effects since way back in Out Of Africa times and later.

There is no clear-cut line between SSAs and Eurasians. Different deep lineages such as the various hunter-gatherer clusters have very distinctive signatures. Take for example, southern African hunter-gatherers or the rainforest hunter-gatherers. Those people, if used as a source to model Yoruba, will show that Yoruba needs a substantial Eurasian-related component. And the Paleolithic Northeast Africans and North Africans had a high amount of ancestry that falls between those two, like a continuum almost. We even have remnants of this today through Taforalt, East African hunter-gatherers, even Somalis to a lesser degree carry something that messes up the models sometimes.

I have seen like 10% of Maghrebis that got kinky hair like West Africans but brown in colour, and skin as pale as your average central european.

Generally, it is also possible too see their negroid dna by looking at their physique, that is influenced clearly by their ancient West African- like dna, they have that distinct mesomorph physique with plastic looking muscles that is different from mesomorph body of cro-magnon people/phenotype (big muscles but flat, instesd of round/bodybuilding like).

Interesting ethnic group.

Maghrebis have variety.My wife's father is from Southern Morocco at the gate of the Sahara from an Arab tribe and looks very Yemeni.While my mother-in-law is from Northern Morocco and much lighter (typical Med look), she also belongs to a tribe that left Al-Andalus for Fez but my mother-in-law has an Amazigh mother and these moriscos probably heavily admixed with the Amazighs anyway