Somali & Horner Genetic Models

There is also the fact that they neighbor Egypt with a heavily Natufian admixed population on the Delta and the Nile Valley, so perhaps some of that extra Natufian is indeed pre-Arabian invasion
This is what i was thinking, how much EBA Jordan ancestry they show would be illuminating.

@Shimbiris How large was this Semitic migration to the Horn?

Wasn't very large at all, but very limited rather. Based on the evidences we do have there was no large scale population movement from Arabia in to the Horn of Africa

Continuation of the same study i linked in my above post:

and there are some carved inscriptions in South Arabian scripts associated with temple ruins and ritual items in South Arabian styles dated to the early first millennium BCE in the north Ethiopian highlands [19][23]. These linguistic and archaeological connections have been cited in the recent population genomic studies to support a hypothesis of high levels of non-African migration into the HOA around 3 ka.

However, more recent archaeological research shows that non-African influences in the HOA were limited and transient. Of the early first millennium BCE inscriptions in non-African scripts complete enough to identify a language, only a small proportion are written in a non-African (South Arabian) language - the majority are written in indigenous proto-Ge'ez [24]. In the HOA, architecture with non-African (primarily South Arabian) elements is entirely monumental or ritual [25] and ritual items with exclusively non-African elements are rare [26]. There are few to no indications of non-African material culture in everyday objects: the ceramics and lithics found outside of the ritual context are almost entirely indigenous with clear local precedents [24], [25], [27]. While earlier scholarship conceived of a South Arabian origin D'MT polity with sovereignty over much of the northern HOA, it is now clear that this polity, if it ever existed at all as an integrated state [24], was geographically restricted to the regions around Yeha and Aksum in what is now the Tigray region of Ethiopia [25]. Artifacts with non-African features are effectively absent in the material culture (ritual or otherwise) of contemporaneous populations in the Eritrean highlands on the Asmara plateau (the “Ancient Ona”) [25], [28], [29]. Prior to the first millennium BC, the archaeology of the HOA is less well studied, but what is available shows no substantial non-African material culture beyond trade relations [25]. Taken all together, the archaeological data could be consistent with limited non-African (primarily South Arabian) migration into the north Ethiopian highlands at the outset of the first millennium BCE, but cannot support large-scale population movements from any foreign population.

Wasn't very large at all, but very limited rather. Based on the evidences we do have there was no large scale population movement from Arabia in to the Horn of Africa
I agree with your assesment based on archeology, the current data shows there wasn't a large scale movement of people, but the DNA says otherwise, North Ethio-Semitic speakers can be modelled as 25-30% Yemeni, thats pretty sizeable IMO

I agree with your assesment based on archeology, the current data shows there wasn't a large scale movement of people, but the DNA says otherwise, North Ethio-Semitic speakers can be modelled as 25-30% Yemeni, thats pretty sizeable IMO

The DNA pretty much shows the same thing and archeological data is just used for contexualization which is needed in intepreting Genetic Data and also to support conclusion. There was a past assumption that there was an earlier date for the Non-African ancestry 3k but from recent investigations it appears to much older than that pre-agricultural more than 10k and highly differentiated and distinct from the genetic composition of current populations in Arabia.

My post from the same study on page 2:
We get further contextualization on the non-African ancestry in Somalis & HOA in another study:

The non-African ancestry in the HOA, which is primarily attributed to a novel Ethio-Somali inferred ancestry component, is significantly differentiated from all neighboring non-African ancestries in North Africa, the Levant, and Arabia. The Ethio-Somali ancestry is found in all admixed HOA ethnic groups, shows little inter-individual variance within these ethnic groups, is estimated to have diverged from all other non-African ancestries by at least 23 ka, and does not carry the unique Arabian lactase persistence allele that arose about 4 ka. Taking into account published mitochondrial, Y chromosome, paleoclimate, and archaeological data, we find that the time of the Ethio-Somali back-to-Africa migration is most likely pre-agricultural.

Because there is archaeological, historical, and linguistic evidence for contact with non-African populations beginning about 3,000 years ago, it has often been assumed that the non-African ancestry in HOA populations dates to this time. In this work, we find that the genetic composition of non-African ancestry in the HOA is distinct from the genetic composition of current populations in North Africa and the Middle East. With these data, we demonstrate that most non-African ancestry in the HOA cannot be the result of admixture within the last few thousand years, and that the majority of admixture probably occurred prior to the advent of agriculture.

Tbh though Canfars look almost identical to somalis, I'm surprised they are so close to habeshas.

Thats because Afar's are lowlanders like Somalis. I mentioned before that people in the region appearances are also under influence of environment that changes their gene expression:

Habeshas look a certain way because they are from the highlands of Ethiopia and the climate is more humid and cooler due to the elevation. So thats why they are on average more lighter skinned than lowlanders who live in hotter less elvated less humid areas.

And Timo Jileec or loose curls are just a dry climate trait, thats why you see a higher procentage of it with Lowlanders.

There is variance even among them in almost thr same way you see among Somalis.

But overall we do resemble eachother due to being from the same stock and part of the same geography

I believe @Apollo has made the same observation before.

This is what i was thinking, how much EBA Jordan ancestry they show would be illuminating.
Target: Libyan:LIB33
Distance: 2.7502% / 0.02750160
34.8Yemeni_Mahra
30.2SSA
13.6Egypt_Late_Period
12.0Greek_Cyprus_(Aegean_Greek_Profile)
9.4NW_African

Target: Libyan:LIB8
Distance: 3.0833% / 0.03083251
48.2Egypt_Late_Period
40.0NW_African
8.0SSA
2.4Yemeni_Mahra
1.4Greek_Cyprus_(Aegean_Greek_Profile)

Target: Libyan:LIB23
Distance: 2.0000% / 0.02000040
53.2NW_African
16.6Yemeni_Mahra
14.8Greek_Cyprus_(Aegean_Greek_Profile)
7.4Egypt_Late_Period
6.8SSA
1.2Punic

Target: Libyan:LIB51
Distance: 3.1969% / 0.03196859
45.2Yemeni_Mahra
18.6NW_African
12.6Greek_Cyprus_(Aegean_Greek_Profile)
10.8Egypt_Late_Period
9.2SSA
3.6Punic

Target: Libyan:LIB5
Distance: 2.0045% / 0.02004513
64.6NW_African
17.6Yemeni_Mahra
13.4Punic
3.2SSA
1.2Greek_Cyprus_(Aegean_Greek_Profile)

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
Are you sure about this? Are you basing this off of their Natufian ancestry relative to other Maghrebis?
I don't think I've seen them score much EBA Jordanian.
I've seen some models over the last few years that show many of them are heavily Arabian admixed. Their lands are very similar to Arabia overall compared to the other Maghrebi countries. Less mountain highlands and all that. Was probably very attractive to groups like the Banu Hilal and Banu Sulaym.

I've seen some models over the last few years that show many of them are heavily Arabian admixed. Their lands are very similar to Arabia overall compared to the other Maghrebi countries. Less mountain highlands and all that. Was probably very attracted to groups like the Banu Hilal and Banu Sulaym.
Sudanese Bataheen & Tunisian Rbaya are great examples of herding tribes that kept their heavy Arabian ancestry despite being surrounded by natives for centuries

Target: Tunisian_Arab_R'Baya
Distance: 1.8727% / 0.01872665
65.0Yemeni_Mahra
28.0NW_African
6.8SSA
0.2Greek_Cyprus_(Aegean_Greek_Profile)

Target: Sudanese_Arab_Batahin
Distance: 0.7569% / 0.00756915
43.4 Nubia_Medieval_Christian_Era_Kulubnarti
40.4 Yemeni_Mahra

12.6 Dinka
3.6 Kenya_Pastoral

The DNA pretty much shows the same thing and archeological data is just used for contexualization which is needed in intepreting Genetic Data and also to support conclusion. There was a past assumption that there was an earlier date for the Non-African ancestry 3k but from recent investigations it appears to much older than that pre-agricultural more than 10k and highly differentiated and distinct from the genetic composition of current populations in Arabia.
Most of the Eurasian related ancestry in the horn is pre agricultural but its clear we have Yemeni ancestry when we show Iranian and Jordanian ancestry, these are Neolithic/Post Neolithic groups, meaning they were farmers.

Target: Libyan:LIB33
Distance: 2.7502% / 0.02750160
34.8Yemeni_Mahra
30.2SSA
13.6Egypt_Late_Period
12.0Greek_Cyprus_(Aegean_Greek_Profile)
9.4NW_African

Target: Libyan:LIB8
Distance: 3.0833% / 0.03083251
48.2Egypt_Late_Period
40.0NW_African
8.0SSA
2.4Yemeni_Mahra
1.4Greek_Cyprus_(Aegean_Greek_Profile)

Target: Libyan:LIB23
Distance: 2.0000% / 0.02000040
53.2NW_African
16.6Yemeni_Mahra
14.8Greek_Cyprus_(Aegean_Greek_Profile)
7.4Egypt_Late_Period
6.8SSA
1.2Punic

Target: Libyan:LIB51
Distance: 3.1969% / 0.03196859
45.2Yemeni_Mahra
18.6NW_African
12.6Greek_Cyprus_(Aegean_Greek_Profile)
10.8Egypt_Late_Period
9.2SSA
3.6Punic

Target: Libyan:LIB5
Distance: 2.0045% / 0.02004513
64.6NW_African
17.6Yemeni_Mahra
13.4Punic
3.2SSA
1.2Greek_Cyprus_(Aegean_Greek_Profile)

Distance: 0.7569% / 0.00756915
43.4 Nubia_Medieval_Christian_Era_Kulubnarti
40.4 Yemeni_Mahra

12.6 Dinka
3.6 Kenya_Pastoral

You need to use Natufian and Taforalt samples, Yemen is absorbing the non-Arabian Natufian ancestry.
If you're free, repeat the Sudanese Arab model with Natufian, Taforalt and PPNB, I'm sure the Yemeni ancestry will drop.
Mahras are Natufian shifted btw, they work well as a source of ancestry for Sudanese ppl partly because of this.

You need to use Natufian and Taforalt samples, Yemen is absorbing the non-Arabian Natufian ancestry.
If you're free, repeat the Sudanese Arab model with Natufian, Taforalt and PPNB, I'm sure the Yemeni ancestry will drop.
Mahras are Natufian shifted btw, they work well as a source of ancestry for Sudanese ppl partly because of this.
The source samples are good enough.There's no reason to believe there is an excess of IBM ancestry outside of the Christian Nubian samples.The Bataheen are basically 45% Nubian 40% Bedouin & 15% Nilotic.

Modern Nubians in comparison:

Target: Nubian_Halfawi
Distance: 1.5416% / 0.01541644
78.4 Nubia_Medieval_Christian_Era_Kulubnarti
15.0 Yemeni_Mahra
6.6 Dinka

Target: Nubian_Danagla
Distance: 1.0448% / 0.01044751
74.2 Nubia_Medieval_Christian_Era_Kulubnarti
15.8 Dinka
10.0 Yemeni_Mahra

Target: Nubian_Mahas
Distance: 0.8144% / 0.00814372
75.4 Nubia_Medieval_Christian_Era_Kulubnarti
12.4 Dinka
12.2 Yemeni_Mahra

The source samples are good enough.There's no reason to believe there is an excess of IBM ancestry outside of the Christian Nubian samples.The Bataheen are basically 45% Nubian 40% Bedouin & 15% Nilotic.

Modern Nubians in comparison:

Target: Nubian_Halfawi
Distance: 1.5416% / 0.01541644
78.4 Nubia_Medieval_Christian_Era_Kulubnarti
15.0 Yemeni_Mahra
6.6 Dinka

Target: Nubian_Danagla
Distance: 1.0448% / 0.01044751
74.2 Nubia_Medieval_Christian_Era_Kulubnarti
15.8 Dinka
10.0 Yemeni_Mahra

Distance: 0.8144% / 0.00814372
75.4 Nubia_Medieval_Christian_Era_Kulubnarti
12.4 Dinka
12.2 Yemeni_Mahra
Using Mahras make no sense, the Arabs that settled in Sudan generally claim descent from Saudi Arabia, not Yemen, Mahras are the most Natufian shifted Yemenis on record.

Using Mahras make no sense, the Arabs that settled in Sudan generally claim descent from Saudi Arabia, not Yemen, Mahras are the most Natufian shifted Yemenis on record.
Mahras are typical Arabians that lack SSA which is why they are used.Using the other Arabians would deflate their African ancestry

Most of the Eurasian related ancestry in the horn is pre agricultural but its clear we have Yemeni ancestry when we show Iranian and Jordanian ancestry, these are Neolithic/Post Neolithic groups, meaning they were farmers.
"we", all this time I thought you were some African American with that name. So you're a Somali?

Distance: 1.1361% / 0.01136100
55.6Nubia_Medieval_Christian_Era_Kulubnarti
35.2Saudi
9.2SSA

Distance: 0.7706% / 0.00770573
77.0Nubia_Medieval_Christian_Era_Kulubnarti
11.6SSA
11.4Saudi

Yhh I think you're right ngl, I'm suprised because i've seen a cluster analysis where Bataheens and Bejas are borderline identical, and Bejas dont show this much Arabian ancestry.
In a global pca or based on eurasian/ssa levels they might superficially look similiar but the Beja are far more Cushitic.You also have to remember that the Christian Medieval Samples also carry substantial Cushitic ancestry.So all the Cushitic ancestry in the Nubians is all the Bataheen Arab needs while the Beja need additional Cushitic admixture

Target: Beja_Hadendowa
Distance: 1.5939% / 0.01593942
51.2 Nubia_Medieval_Christian_Era_Kulubnarti
30.0 Kenya_Pastoral
15.8 Yemeni_Mahra

3.0 Dinka

Target: Beja_Beni-Amer
Distance: 0.9812% / 0.00981213
44.6 Kenya_Pastoral
27.6 Nubia_Medieval_Christian_Era_Kulubnarti
27.4 Yemeni_Mahra
0.4 Dinka