Somali factories in Eritrea early 1800s

Somali_patriotic

Everything unuka leh
Somalis used to have some factories at the red sea/eritrean coast.

There was one at Aréna
20231129_210347.jpg

Another one in massawa
20231129_210515.jpg

Somali_patriotic

Everything unuka leh
Can you link me the source. What century was this in?
Both were written in early 19th century
To be exact the first dates back to 1820
The 2nd to 1810
They might've been established earlier though allahu a'lam i will search for an older record.
Somalis weren't limited to the coast either. Somalis inhabited the interior specifically keren since the Egyptians came to eritrea.
It says a somali called Sayyid Wayrax had vast amount of lands and was an enterprise in it.
Screenshot_20231129-214213_X.jpg

Here's the somali elder of somalis in massawa and keren as i was told.
Photo taken in 1920s
20231129_214250.jpg

Yes some Afar and Saho in those regions claim Somali descent, even some of the Muslim Tigre/Tigrinya families claim to have some Somali ancestry.

Khaemwaset

Djiboutian 🇩🇯 | 𐒖𐒆𐒄A𐒗𐒃 🇸🇴
VIP
Yes some Afar and Saho in those regions claim Somali descent, even some of the Muslim Tigre/Tigrinya families claim to have some Somali ancestry.
There was a tiktok of an old man in eritrea meeting a somali and speaking in af-somali claiming his father(?) came from Somalia.

II'll link it if I can find it. I'm pretty sure it was posted here a long time ago

There was a tiktok of an old man in eritrea meeting a somali and speaking in af-somali claiming his father(?) came from Somalia.

II'll link it if I can find it. I'm pretty sure it was posted here a long time ago
You had individual Somali travelers going back centuries along the Red Sea - possibly millenniums factoring in the regional trade globalization. I posted how a 23andMe-linked relative doctor of Beja descent had a maternal grandparent from Somaliland. The fact that he was from Hargeisa means that he is a removed cousin.

The 2nd to 1810
They might've been established earlier though allahu a'lam i will search for an older record.
Somalis weren't limited to the coast either. Somalis inhabited the interior specifically keren since the Egyptians came to eritrea.
It says a somali called Sayyid Wayrax had vast amount of lands and was an enterprise in it.
View attachment 305518
Photo taken in 1920s
View attachment 305520
Source for the Arabic text ?

Three Moons

Give Dhul-Suwayqatayn not an inch of the Sea!
I’m pretty sure if researchers started at Mozambique and hit every country and major historic city all the way to Egypt, and from Egypt every historic city on the Arabian peninsula until you reached the old Muslim cities of India you would find hundreds of similar Somali trade initiatives and influences.

Garaad diinle

 
This reminds me of this video on twitter of a saho man who claim to be a somali who've been living in eritrea ever since the futuh. He is even able to speak a bit of somali.

This is not the first time that saho were said to have some somalis incorporated within their clan. I also remember reading about some saho that are gadabuursi originally that came from somalia.

kRC3dE7.jpg

The 2nd to 1810
View attachment 305518
Photo taken in 1920s
View attachment 305520
Most of the somalis that went up north to modern day Eritrea and Sudan were from Somaliland particularly reer Sheekh Isxaaq

hanif#

Somalo-Arab
Most of the somalis that went up north to modern day Eritrea and Sudan were from Somaliland particularly reer Sheekh Isxaaq
They were obviously Darod from the Harti subclan mostly Majerten and to a little extent Warsangeli. their descendants still live in the Bay of Hawakil.
Polish_20221012_213009072.png

At that time Isaaqs still did not start the seafaring business which they learnt from their Harti neighbours.

content (1).png

They were obviously Darod from the Harti subclan mostly Majerten and to a little extent Warsangeli. their descendants still live in the Bay of Hawakil.
View attachment 305605

At that time Isaaqs still did not start the seafaring business which they learnt from their Harti neighbours.

View attachment 305606

Yes, there is a Majeerteen clan that assimilated into the Afar royal family, their sub-clan name is Warwaaqsame. They left the Majeerteenia Sultanate when they became numerous enough to do trade between Eritrea, Arabia and Majeerteenia. Unfortunately, when Majeerteenia was destroyed in the final Colonial war, they couldn't continue the trade. They are mostly based in the Eritrean Islands, and are probably fully Afar-ised today.

There are also Warsangelis that are Afar today. Warsangeli and Majeerteen Sultanate were the pre-eminent Seafaring clans of the North.

This topic has a lot of information about this also, and the boats that they used.

Last edited:
View attachment 305605

View attachment 305606
Isaaqs and many other somalis on the coast were seafarers engaged in trading not only those 2 clans you have mentioned and regarding the Somalis went up north that later got assimilated into Beni Amer and Beja were mostly from Somaliland

hanif#

Somalo-Arab
Isaaqs and many other somalis on the coast were seafarers engaged in trading not only those 2 clans you have mentioned and regarding the Somalis went up north that later got assimilated into Beni Amer and Beja were mostly from Somaliland
OK. Let's not turn this positive thread to clan war

View attachment 305605

View attachment 305606

Saalax used to be a popular name in Bari.

I've met an Eritrean who told me he is originally Somali. I've also met a Harari who told me that his paternal grandfather's side is originally Majeerteen.