Somali dreadlocks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bohol

VIP
I have already tried afro in the past, I might try something different this time. How many of you would try halal dreadlocks?

Elman the people's man and the original pioneer of Somali dreadlocks in Mogadishu in the 90s (sadly he was assassinated).
Elman-Pic.jpg

Codeine

I got me some braids and I got me some hoes
Idgaf, I'm actually getting short dreads and getting a fade on the sides. I can somewhat understand why people would be against dreads, but Somalis are even against braids. Fucking braids sxb. That shit is natural and can be taken out easily.
:ivers:

This Somali guy I know from my town had dreadlocks for 10+ years. He washes it once a week, but doesn't retwist, and he left as it is, and it grew mad long, and he had to cut it several times. My one's are a little thicker and of course no where near his length; I may post it later if you want?

ambassadors_Bersanji_Ibrahim.jpg

Do you have the typical curly/wavy hair (like me)? Or is your hair more afro-textured?

I have short dreadlocks right now. Been growing them for 8 months and originally my hair was curly (if I use an afro pick; I could turn it into an afro, but it would just go back curly later) and I had an curly afro (that was about to turn wavy; If grew it longer) for 10 months prior to dreading my hair. I've had dreads in the past, but I got rid of them because the lady fucked it up, and the set of dreads I have now came naturally (myself).

You can go to locitician (Carribean/West-African Hairdresser), some Ethiopians know how to do dreads as well, and they may use the comb coil twist method or two strand twist (If your hair is long enough), and they may ask you to not wash your hair for weeks or months (so the gel could hold up, but don't ever use wax). However, I went with the freeform method; I stopped combining my hair, stopped using conditioner, and heavy type of shampoo's with a lot of chemicals; I use a dreadlock soap bar or you can get black soap (use it twice a week) and wet your hair everyday for two months (then stop).

Dude, I'd recommend you to go with the freeform/natural method because its less of a hassle; It may take two months for your to section itself and six months to a year if you were to see a solid dreadlock form from your own natural hair-curl pattern.

Status
Not open for further replies.