Somali-Bantu ethnicity tag

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dhabaal

Part time -Devils Advocate Full time- Anarchist
I think you're all misunderstanding @Dhabaal here, what he's trying to say is that when the hyphen is applied it joins the two modifiers
(Somali + Bantu) into a single modifier thus putting them on the same level. I think that's the point that he's trying to get across.

Yes, thank you and that is misleading part collapsing two polarized groups in to the same name.. Because that would mean there is another variant to being Somali. That would be confusing.

Who and what is a Somali then in definition. If there is different varieties of it?

Just because i have a European passport, speak the language,culturally mentally European, doesn't make me European , i would still be Physically Somali.

I would be Somali ,but European in mentality and attitude.

Galaeri

USC | Ururka Bililiqada iyo Kufsiga
They came to this land many centuries ago, despite being a different ethnic group they now have Somali Nationality. They have become naturalised somalis and that is not going to change. They are not less or more somali than anybody else.

Tramo

Nine kitaabs on a bookshelf
nobody is saying somali bantus are physically, ethnically somali, war dadkaani waa imtixaan :dwill:

Apollo

VIP
forreal. this shit aint rocket science

Some people make it unnecessarily complex by infusing bullshit into it.

Amharas in Ethiopia don't consider Afars as fellow Amharas merely because their culture is the dominant group of Ethiopia. Not everyone in Kenya is Kikuyu. Why different rules apply for Somalia?

Tramo

Some people make it unnecessarily complex by infusing bullshit into it.

Amharas in Ethiopia don't consider Afars as fellow Amharas merely because their culture is the dominant group of Ethiopia. Not everyone in Kenya is Kikuyu. Why different rules apply for Somalia?
i think it's because the name of the country matches the name of the dominant ethnic group. has niggas feeling special and shit :lol:

Dhabaal

nobody is saying somali bantus are physically, ethnically somali, war dadkaani waa imtixaan :dwill:
You are saying that by accepting the name ''Somali-Bantu ' it isn't just a simple case of nationality. Its an Ethonym (i,e Ethnic name).:francis:

They can't use the Somali name to construct an identity.

Apollo

VIP
i think it's because the name of the country matches the name of the dominant ethnic group. has niggas feeling special and shit :lol:

We need a name change. Just like how Trump just stopped calling his hotels ''Trump'' towers and rebranded to Scion. Haha, he knows he's going to lose.

The Somali name is already ruined from clan warfare, piracy, anarchism, al shabaab. Let's rebrand :icon mrgreen:

Dhabaal

@Amun @Tramo

You guys are misunderstanding me on a next level. I am starting think you guys are trying to misrepresent what i am saying on purpose

They are not called ''Somali-Bantu'' due to Nationality and OFC i have no problem with using that as a lose designation to refer to region people come from. They are classified that as a Ethonym (i.e Ethnic name) because NGO's wanted to create Ethnic identity for them with use of the Somali name.

Sources:

Who are the "Somali Bantu"?: The Rise of a New Ethnicity
Dr. Orville Boyd Jenkins
http://orvillejenkins.com/peoples/somalibantu.html

Bantu ethnic identities in Somalia

http://www.persee.fr/doc/ethio_0066-2127_2003_num_19_1_1051

Apollo

VIP
@Amun @Tramo
You guys are misunderstanding me on a next level. I am starting think you guys are trying to misrepresent what i am saying on purpose
They are not called ''Somali-Bantu'' due to Nationality and OFC i have no problem with using that as a lose designate refer to regio npeople come from. They are called that as a Ethonym (i.e Ethnic name).because NGOs wanted to create Ethnic idenity for them with use of the Somali name.

They were called Madowweyne before that, which is synonymous to Somali Bantu. Even in the 1800s, the Italians marked them off as non-Somali. It was known for a long time.
Somali Bantu is more politically correct and also more logical (referring to their ancestry instead of just one trait).

Last edited:

Tramo

You are saying that by accepting the name ''Somali-Bantu ' it isn't just a simple case of nationality. Its an Ethonym (i,e Ethnic name).:francis:

They can't use the Somali name to construct an identity.
bantus are an ethnic group. somali bantus are an ethnic group with a unique recent history. an ethnonym is entirely applicable

your logic is very flawed, madaxaa i xanuunay trying to parse it. no matter how u cut it, it does not imply that they are ethnic somalis. it's not to create a new ethnic identity, i'll quote again that it was used purely as classification...to differentiate from the other bantus

The term "Somali Bantu" is an ethnonym that was invented by humanitarian aid-supplying agencies shortly after the outbreak of the civil war in Somalia in 1991. Its purpose was to help the staff of these aid agencies better distinguish between, on the one hand, Bantu minority groups hailing from Somalia and thus in need of immediate humanitarian attention, and on the other hand, other Bantu groups from elsewhere in Africa that did not require immediate humanitarian assistance.

any other interpretation is simply some weird ass xenophobic fearmongering

Dhabaal

They were called Madowweyne before that, which is synonymous to Somali Bantu. Even in the 1800s, the Italians marked them off as non-Somali. It was known for a long time.
Somali Bantu is more politically correct and also more logical (referring to their ancestry instead of just one trait).

No Madowweyne is distinguished from Somali-bantus. Madowweyne is referred to the Af maxa tiri speakers in central Somalia, while Somali-Bantu is referred to Af-Maay speakers.

Both of those names are recent. They were called themselves mushingili ,Gosha,etc by the Italians.

Somali-Bantu politically incorrect, because it works to paint the notion that there is another variant to being Somali. Which there isn't.

Dhabaal

bantus are an ethnic group. somali bantus are an ethnic group with a unique recent history. an ethnonym is entirely applicable

Bantu is not an ethnic identity by itself. ''Somali Bantu'' is according to international community, just variant of being Somali.

your logic is very flawed, madaxaa i xanuunay trying to parse it. no matter how u cut it, it does not imply that they are ethnic somalis. it's not to create a new ethnic identity, i'll quote again that it was used purely as classification...to differentiate from the other bantus

any other interpretation is simply some weird ass xenophobic fearmongering

Yes it is to create a new ethnic identity you just assume it is not. Do you even comprehend the meaning of Ethonym? if it was a simple act of distinguishing them from other Bantus, they would not have create a new ethonym.

Most international observers outside of a very small group of Somali intellectuals and aid agencies would be surprised to learn that the notion of ''Somali Bantu'' did not exist prior to 1991.They would be more surprised that the ethnic category of Somali Bantu was an inadvertent creation of the International Community-specifically aid agencies and the media. For social scientists who subscribe to construct theories of ethnic identity, the case of the Somali Bantu is attractive gist for their mill.

An actual study on Bantu identities recently Published.

Bantu ethnic identities in Somalia

http://www.persee.fr/doc/ethio_0066-2127_2003_num_19_1_1051

Last edited:

Dhabaal

Ive said this before i have no problem with Using ''Somali'' as lose designate to describe which region they hail from. In this case ''Somalia' being their nationality . I have no issue with that.

This just isn't the case for the term ''Somali-Bantu'' which is an ethonym. That is the point i am making . Surely i wouldn't say shit if it came down to a simple Nationality in that case it wouldn't be an Ethonym.

You guys are so naive to believe the numbers increased from 80,0000 Bantu to one million despite civil war, famine, drones and two invasions. Somalis are simply minded people. The Muslim Bantu were moving to Somalia from Kenya for past years and working as fishermen. Same fishers that joined al shabab when the invasion started in Somalia. Somalia doesn't have strong intelligence services (NISA) and foreigners are take advantage of this point. However keep sleeping.

Mohamud

ʜᴀᴄᴋᴇᴅ ᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀ
Ive said this before i have no problem with Using ''Somali'' as lose designate to describe which region they hail from. In this case ''Somalia' being their nationality . I have no issue with that.

This just isn't the case for the term ''Somali-Bantu'' which is an ethonym. That is the point i am making . Surely i wouldn't say shit if it came down to a simple Nationality in that case it wouldn't be an Ethonym.

So just a new word to designate Somalis that are not ethnically somali?

Sixth

ʜᴀᴄᴋᴇᴅ ᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀ
The 900,000 Bantu population thing is a random guesstimate from a BBC article back in 2003.

Dhabaal

So just a new word to designate Somalis that are not ethnically somali?

If you are Oromo you are called Oromo. Not ''Somali-Oromo'' . If you are an Arab you are called simply Arab, not ''Somali-Arab''.

As far as i know there are other minority groups in Somalia and non of the have been given linguistic accommodation they way that Bantu has.

Wether or not the international NGO's wanted to distinguished them from other Bantus, doesn't make it correct.

They can't just walk around constructing identities with use of someone else's name all willy nilly like that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts