Somali Albinos face attacks and rejection in Somali refugee camps in Dadaab

Status
Not open for further replies.
What about in the towns, or outside Somalia?

@embarrassing

I think these two sisters are from Djibouti.

603946_303349806436871_1763701361_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/PourLaProtectionDesAlbinosDeDjibouti/

Grete Howard

Djibouti Albino

I was photographic some people around a water hole in Djibouti and didn't take too much notice of individuals there. It wasn't until I got home that I realised this girl was an albino. It was the first black albino I had ever seen, despite numerous trips to Africa. Funnily enough, on our very next visit to Africa, I saw several!

upload_2019-6-22_20-54-8.png

@embarrassing

I think these two sisters are from Djibouti.

603946_303349806436871_1763701361_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/PourLaProtectionDesAlbinosDeDjibouti/
I doubt it... I've seen this photo circulating for years, we'd need to find the original source.
Grete Howard

Djibouti Albino

I was photographic some people around a water hole in Djibouti and didn't take too much notice of individuals there. It wasn't until I got home that I realised this girl was an albino. It was the first black albino I had ever seen, despite numerous trips to Africa. Funnily enough, on our very next visit to Africa, I saw several!

View attachment 74456

This one seems more legit.

@embarrassing

There are albinos in Djibouti according to a Jiboutian mate I'm chatting now, if we don't know in the rest of Somalia, that doesn't mean they don't exist. AS infants, if they don't get good care from the sun and proper medical care, their mortality rates are very high. Someone needs to investigate.

Apollo

VIP
There are about one million ethnic Somalis in the diaspora with good medical care, yet no albinos from this cohort. While the majority of albinos found in Somalia come from areas settled by Tanzanian-origin Bantus (Tanzania has the highest incidence of albinism of Africa).

@embarrassing

There are albinos in Djibouti according to a Jiboutian mate I'm chatting now, if we don't know in the rest of Somalia, that doesn't mean they don't exist. AS infants, if they don't get good care from the sun and proper medical care, their mortality rates are very high. Someone needs to investigate.
No one can say they don't exist, we don't know that. I think people are just agreeing it must be extremely rare as none of us have seen or heard of one, even outside Somalia in the west etc.

But you're right, it should be investigated. Let us know what you learn about it from your friend.

Rwandan Albino Woman Gains Fame from Music Video.

A Rwandan albino woman has appeared in a music video, attracting widespread attention and helping alleviate the stigma of albinos in Africa. Claudine Mukarusine has described the video as a spark of light in a life filled with discrimination and fear.

Mukarusine is a 28-year-old graduate from the University of Rwanda with Albinism, a genetic condition that makes her hair, skin and eyes pale.

In parts of Africa, Albino body parts are considered to have black magic that brings luck and wealth. Their graves are dug up and bodies stolen, while the living face constant fear of abduction and murder.

But here in Rwanda, Mukarusine has become famous.

She shows a reporter a music video by Rhythm and Blues singer James Ruhumuriza, known as King James, which she acted in. The music video, for the song called “Igitekerezo,” meaning “Ideas,” shows King James serenading Mukarusine in the city and countryside.

In Rwanda it has gone viral.

She says this video played a very big role in her life because many people have come to realize that people with Albinism can do something that is good and appreciated.

Albinos killed

The United Nations says nearly 100 albinos were killed in Tanzania alone in the past two decades, including at least 10 children whose bodies were found in January.

For Mukarusine, the song released in January is a spark of light in her dark days of fear that she too could be killed for being albino.

She says on the first day she heard about this threat, she cried a whole day in class. She used to cry also in her bedroom, it strongly affected her, Mukarusine said. She used to worry so much, wondering if she is going to die. But she couldn’t share her sorrow with anyone, Mukarusine said, and it affected her studies.

A good message

Singer King James says he composed the song after watching accounts of albinos being killed in Rwanda’s neighboring countries.

“That’s when I decided, that I can feature her so that I can give a good message to people that even if they are albinos, they can do anything we can do, anything they want to do,” he said.

Mukarusine works as a mentor at the National Union of Disability Organizations of Rwanda. She helps three groups of 300 people learn about saving money and accessing finance.

She has hope and confidence that her future will be good, and she will have a family, Mukarusine said. She will contribute in developing the lives of people with albinism and other disabilities in general, she says, as well as her family and country.

There are no accurate statistics on the number of albinos in Rwanda. But Mukarusine hopes her music video fame raises attention to their plight and helps remove some of the stigma and fear for other albinos as it did for her.

https://www.voanews.com/arts-culture/rwandan-albino-woman-gains-fame-music-video

Ras

It's all so tiresome
VIP
Dadaab really irks me.

Trying to figure out why that refugee camp is still around.

Some families there have probably lived there for multiple generations.

Maybe it's just my privileged mindset that is behind my ignorance but can't these people move on?

In all honesty I can't really blame them.

It's the NGOs that run it that probably want to keep that placed filled for their own benefit.

The only thing that's stopping the refugees there from returning is a lack of skills th y could use to earn an income in Somalia...not war or Al Shabaab.

They probably barely provide decent education there or feed them with misinformation or misguided hope of tickets to the west.

Tickets people would wait a decade for.

This refugee camp is really fhcking up their lives.

In that environment I'm not too suprised to see them stoning Albino people.

Dadaab really irks me.

Trying to figure out why that refugee camp is still around.

Some families there have probably lived there for multiple generations.

Maybe it's just my privileged mindset that is behind my ignorance but can't these people move on?

In all honesty I can't really blame them.

It's the NGOs that run it that probably want to keep that placed filled for their own benefit.

The only thing that's stopping the refugees there from returning is a lack of skills th y could use to earn an income in Somalia...not war or Al Shabaab.

They probably barely provide decent education there or feed them with misinformation or misguided hope of tickets to the west.

Tickets people would wait a decade for.

This refugee camp is really fhcking up their lives.

In that environment I'm not too suprised to see them stoning Albino people.

@RasCanjero

A friend who spent sometime in Dadaab and worked with the UNHCR told me that there 100,000's of internally displaced Somalis in Somalia and they move to Dadaab because it's better than their camps in Somalia and their children can go to school. Secondly, a lot of nomads who lost all their livestock during the droughts moved to Dadaab too. It is a better option of many bad options.

Ras

It's all so tiresome
VIP
@RasCanjero

A friend who spent sometime in Dadaab and worked with the UNHCR told me that there 100,000's of internally displaced Somalis in Somalia and they move to Dadaab because it's better than their camps in Somalia and their children can go to school. Secondly, a lot of nomads who lost all their livestock during the droughts moved to Dadaab too. It is a better option of many bad options.

That's why I don't blame them but the camp seems like a one way black hole.

Other than a few lucky ones and those with a green card; most will end up stuck in a limbo and end up depending on aid long-term.

Someone out there must be making money from this.

This kind of generous act might end up doing us more harm in the end.

Bad times usually leads to innovations and people create new methods for their livelihoods.

Sounds insensitive sure but that's how people are forged.

However now you have the smart ones moving into these refugee prisons and the slower ones starving themselves in the bush in a worsening climate for pastoralists.

Tukraq

VIP
There are about one million ethnic Somalis in the diaspora with good medical care, yet no albinos from this cohort. While the majority of albinos found in Somalia come from areas settled by Tanzanian-origin Bantus (Tanzania has the highest incidence of albinism of Africa).
One million is a small sample size, and albanism is a rare genetic defect that can be affected by proper prenatal care before there born, wouldn’t be likely in a western country

Apollo

VIP
One million is a small sample size, and albanism is a rare genetic defect that can be affected by proper prenatal care before there born, wouldn’t be likely in a western country

It's a Bantu thing, why do you always booty clap for them? I think you are half African-American or something. Something's up.

Tukraq

VIP
It's a Bantu thing, why do you always booty clap for them? I think you are half African-American or something. Something's up.
Search up reasons behind Albanism, I did an essay on it, prenatal care was a major factor, and I’m an Mj on the pops side, dhulo on the moms so full Somali, which is African, I was also born in america so full American, so full African American not half

Apollo

VIP
Search up reasons behind Albanism, I did an essay on it, prenatal care was a major factor, and I’m an Mj on the pops side, dhulo on the moms so full Somali, which is African, I was also born in america so full American, so full African American not half

:ulyin:

World

VIP
Idk why people cant see that they are 1000% bantu. Big nose Madow hair.
Tanzania has the highest rate of albinism in the world, where Bantus in Somalia originate from.

Only a person with an ulterior agenda would claim that these albinos are ethnic Somalis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts