Self Improvement Thread #1: The Non Zero Days

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi friends!

Lately with how our world works today, all our nitty bitty busy schedules, we tend to forget about ourselves as we go on auto-pilot with life. I'd like to bring us back in the moment of now.

I'd like to begin a series of threads that would tackle the main issues and views on how self improvement should be seen as. Consider this thread as our Non Zero Days thread. Now you my friend. Slumping over your keyboard confused as to what I'm blabbering about might probably be asking, "Hey Carré, what's a zero day?"

Zero days are the days where time feels like it just flew past you, and you could reflect back on the choices and decisions you've made during the day, and not find a single thing you've done beneficial to you, or you just brutally wasted your day. Well guess what?

AJwXPGb.jpg

Yes! We won't be having any of these days no more. And we'll start slow. Here's how we're going to do this:

• Promise yourself that you will do one thing every day that takes you one step closer to your goal(s)

I want you to go back into your thinking shell, and think about all those long term goals you'd like to achieve. Write them down somewhere, its very important for you to do so. Next, based on those long term goals you've thought of, I want you to think of the short term goals you'd like to achieve. Write these down. The long term goals are going to be from either 5+, 10+ or 20+ yrs in the future. Your short term goals should be REALISTIC goals you could achieve in the coming months and towards the next 2-3 years.

With every coming day, you should at least do 1 thing that would help you achieve these goal. No matter how small that action could be, you should do it.

For example, let's say he have Guled who's always wished he could get better at push ups. His friends are somehow perfect at them, and he can barely do 1. Guled being a smart guy as he is, reads on this thread, reflects on his goals, and chooses to tackle these problems. He promises himself that he would try to do n+1 push ups each day, n being the total number of correct push ups he was able to do the day before. He practices for months on end, and by the end of the year, he's able to do as many push ups as his friends can.

Short term goal achieved!!

Please note that this doesn't only have to apply to fitness and exercise. It could also apply to your education, to your skill sets, to your career, to literally anything, That's the beauty of Non Zero Days!!

This thread shall serve as a sort of 'check-in' where I'll hopefully expect everyone to share what they've done to avoid a zero day.

In my coming threads in the future, I plan on tackling Forgiveness, the different YOU's, Breaking bad habits and Exercise.

Let's get this rolling!

I'm in. So in. Starting right now. Today will be productive bi'idhnillah. My plan:-

1) File all papers left lying around.
2) Find receipts and return goods to store.
3) Call bank
4) 10 push ups
5) Cook one healthy meal
6) Enrol at gym

Welcome Ordained_Hypocrite! I'd like to suggest that you try to group your plans into an overall goal of itself, and use a note taking app like Google Keep to keep track of your To-Do lists like the one you've made today. You've made a great plan and #4, #5 and especially #6 are your most productive plans.

1) File all papers left lying around.
2) Find receipts and return goods to store.
3) Call bank
4) 10 push ups
5) Cook one healthy meal
6) Enrol at gym

It's back to school season friends! Remember to work on your educational goals as well. Set prior time for appropriate studying, and different ways you could minimize the dreadful procrastination we all suffer from.

RedStar

The Bad Ali of Jigjiga
VIP
Goals before the end of the year.

1. Buy a new whip, my beloved Golf is on it's last legs
2. Read 3-4 books every month
3. Starting to lose shape so I need lose weight (7kg)
4. Enrol on a Spanish language course

Are you like the resident self-help dude?
I think he/she is a Life coach!

:ftw9nwa::ftw9nwa::ftw9nwa:

Goals before the end of the year.

1. Buy a new whip, my beloved Golf is on it's last legs
2. Read 3-4 books every month
3. Starting to lose shape so I need lose weight (7kg)
4. Enrol on a Spanish language course

Great goals, all of which are achievable. Have you thought of how you'd lose the 7kgs? Also one tip though: When it comes to learning languages, think of the main reason why you'd want to learn it and what benefits would you get from being fluent in it. Learning languages often takes years of practice and its best to assign a use for it, that way you can be assured you'll stick with it!

RedStar

The Bad Ali of Jigjiga
VIP
Great goals, all of which are achievable. Have you thought of how you'd lose the 7kgs? Also one tip though: When it comes to learning languages, think of the main reason why you'd want to learn it and what benefits would you get from being fluent in it. Learning languages often takes years of practice and its best to assign a use for it, that way you can be assured you'll stick with it!

Stopped going to the gym before Ramadan and after Eid came the wedding season. All that bariis and hilib messed up my stamina :Sutehja:
I've started gym + MMA classes again, I'll just keep that going and I'll get into shape again in no time.

I've always wanted to learn Spanish mainly because I want to go backpacking through Peru, Chile, and Argentina before I turn 30. Spanish is a widely spoken language too so who knows when or what I might need it for.

Stopped going to the gym before Ramadan and after Eid came the wedding season. All that bariis and hilib messed up my stamina :Sutehja:
I've started gym + MMA classes again, I'll just keep that going and I'll get into shape again in no time.

Woah, MMA is something I've always wanted to do myself, but I geared towards Judo instead. Keep it up!!

I've always wanted to learn Spanish mainly because I want to go backpacking through Peru, Chile, and Argentina before I turn 30. Spanish is a widely spoken language too so who knows when or what I might need it for.

:deargod:
Amazing. I plan on doing a backpacking trip across the middle east and africa one day. I already have the languages with me, however Spanish and French are languages I plan on practising myself.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, did the forums change up again? Damn son, where's our sub-forum for self help and lifestyle at? For Somalis, I believe its pretty important for us to consider!

RedStar

The Bad Ali of Jigjiga
VIP
Woah, MMA is something I've always wanted to do myself, but I geared towards Judo instead. Keep it up!!

:deargod:
Amazing. I plan on doing a backpacking trip across the middle east and africa one day. I already have the languages with me, however Spanish and French are languages I plan on practising myself.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, did the forums change up again? Damn son, where's our sub-forum for self help and lifestyle at? For Somalis, I believe its pretty important for us to consider!

Judo is not bad, if you could somehow combine Wrestling + BJJ, then you would be deadly on the ground. After that, you would only have to learn striking techniques, preferably Muay Thai and even Satan would cross the road when he sees you.

Backpacking across the mid-east? That's an interesting one. There's a lot of history in that region, especially in the fertile crescent, but that region is the most f****d up region in the world. :mjcry:

P.S. Didn't even notice the change, but we need out section back :gunsmiley:

B

bilan M

Why do i find self-improvement talk depressing and demotivating when its suppose to do the opposite. Maybe its a brit thing.

Judo is not bad, if you could somehow combine Wrestling + BJJ, then you would be deadly on the ground. After that, you would only have to learn striking techniques, preferably Muay Thai and even Satan would cross the road when he sees you.

Backpacking across the mid-east? That's an interesting one. There's a lot of history in that region, especially in the fertile crescent, but that region is the most f****d up region in the world. :mjcry:

P.S. Didn't even notice the change, but we need out section back :gunsmiley:

Have you thought of going through some MMA competitions yourself? I have a friend who recently started BJJ and is already doing these tortumanets, and should I ever pick up Judo, I think I'd do them too, but it'll eat up my already considerable strained time.

And the middle east ain't that bad at all! Of course they'd be regions where you'd like to avoid, but I'm guessing majority of the trip would be enjoyable and full of expierence!

Why do i find self-improvement talk depressing and demotivating when its suppose to do the opposite. Maybe its a brit thing.

Don't blame it on the brits! They're the most positive people I've met!

I'm the most improved member on Somali web. I said it. :dzmxmmb:

58a67d56cc.gif

Have less constipation
I hope your problem as cleared up by now. You should check how much fibre you're getting from your daily diet, and increase the amount of water you intake per day. I'd say at least a gallon if not more of water.

Excellent thread.
Thank you!!

Read Quran ASAP. I haven't opened the kitaab in a while.:francis:
Ahh, its something you've reminded me to do as well. These kind of reminders are the best reminders.

Hi Friends! I've taken a few set backs these past few days, to which I've already dealt with Alhamdulillah, and I hope everyone here is still on the progression road to a better place we ought to see our selves being in. I just wanted to remind those that have/already started working out seriously should take progress pics of themselves monthly until they've reached their main goal. If you've been through this road already, you'd agree with me when I say that one may not see the results of change with their own eyes, and not even believe it when people tell them that they've "changed". This is where these pictures will help. By putting them side by side, you'll definitely notice the difference even though the way you view your own body in the mirror is still itching you in the back of your head.

For those bulking, its bulking season now! Please make sure you don't "dirty" bulk and eat carefully! I've seen people who thought it was smart to do it the dirty and easy way, and by the time April came around, they clearly "bulked" in an entirely different way than they expected.

Don't be them.

Also for my kind older posters, updates would be great!

New friends, join in!

Status
Not open for further replies.