Russia vs Ukraine

Russia vs Ukraine

• Total voters

Apollo

VIP
What is your take on this escalating conflict?

Putin is sniffing weakness in the West as they pulled out of Afghanistan and Western publics becoming anti-war.

The west should stop interfering between the two brotherly nations, I'm sure if they both sit down and talk about their mutual interests they can get to an peaceful agreement.

Apollo

VIP
The west should stop interfering between the two brotherly nations, I'm sure if they both sit down and talk about their mutual interests they can get to an peaceful agreement.

I'm on Russia's side on this one.

Ukrainians and Russians are the same ethnic group and only diverged since the Middle Ages.

Look into Kievan Rus. Russia started in Ukraine.

I also like that there is a global player that isn't the West or China. So I don't mind Russia getting bigger.

In many West European countries the media has been smearing Russia nonstop the past few weeks. They are conditioning the public to hate Russia.

Russia doesn't care about american bases and territories that were colonized like Hawaii, Puerto Rico etc... so I don't know why the US should care about Russia.
But it is still wrong to invade Ukraine, but Putin only wants the eastern part not the whole country.
Obama watched as russian soldiers invaded Crimea and Biden won't act if Putin invades Ukraine.
I know that republicans deep down want Putin to invade Ukraine so that Biden loses the presidency in 2024 and the midterms in 2022, but they just won't admit it.

He will go for the whole country.

Russia is aware that NATO has been encroaching on them for decades. Ukraine will be the final straw he won't let go off.
The West promised Gorbatchev in 1991 that they wouldn't expand NATO beyond West Germany and as you can see they didn't keep their promises, approximately 10 east european countries joined.
One of them (Estonia) shares a border with Russia, if Ukraine joins NATO, then they will have american military bases next to their borders.
NATO lied to Russia so Putin won't let Ukraine go and Biden won't do anything about it.

Xoxoxo

VIP
Tbh idc I am not from both of those shit holes. If the country I am living in just minds it’s business then there won’t be another economic problem either.

NATO would be so stupid af to intervene because Russia actually imports gas to these dumb little countries. NATO did nothing important in history so why should they care now?

Apollo

VIP
Tbh idc I am not from both of those shit holes. If the country I am living in just minds it’s business then there won’t be another economic problem either.

Russia got really smart people, but it is a badly run economy. Often when I look who discovered this or that thing I stumble upon some Russian dude who came up with it.

It would be awesome if the Soviet Union excluding the EU lapsed countries (Estonia etc.) get back together, but what is more likely is Russia merging with Belarus and Ukraine only.

It now also makes more sense why that Belarusian dictator started allowing Middle Eastern refugees to enter Belarus to go to Europe. Perhaps it is part of a strategy to destabilize that area and it were orders from Putin.

Xoxoxo

VIP
Russia got really smart people, but it is a badly run economy. Often when I look who discovered this or that thing I stumble upon some Russian dude who came up with it.

It would be awesome if the Soviet Union excluding the EU lapsed countries (Estonia etc.) get back together, but what is more likely is Russia merging with Belarus and Ukraine only.

It now also makes more sense why that Belarusian dictator started allowing Middle Eastern refugees to enter Belarus to go to Europe. Perhaps it is part of a strategy to destabilize that area and it were orders from Putin.
That actually makes sense. I mean Russia uses to do weird schemes back in the day so who says they are
Not doing it now? I always knew Russia would want their old territories back but it was a matter of when? Ukraine and Belarus are definitely getting invaded but other Slavic countries wouldn’t be left alone for sure.

Biden recently confirmed there will be no US troops on the ground in the event of a Russian invasion of Ukraine.

Would be cool if Putin manages to revive the Kievan Rus.

Last edited:

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
Russia has an economy the size of Italy’s. Their GDP per capita is less than 1/6th of the US.

They place too much importance on international prestige and power for a country with their size (economically).

They need to focus on enriching themselves for a decade or two before they try to become a rival to the US again.

Russia has an economy the size of Italy’s. Their GDP per capita is less than 1/6th of the US.

They place too much importance on international prestige and power for a country with their size (economically).

They need to focus on enriching themselves for a decade or two before they try to become a rival to the US again.

That notion is based on a misconception; Russia's economy is actually only slightly smaller than Germany's economy -- when the far more reliable purchasing power parity metric is used.

According to fresh figures from the IMF (October 24), Russia’s GDP is expected to exceed $4 trillion first time ever. By this measure, Russia is the 6th largest economy in the world, virtually on par with Germany, who scored $4.15 trillion.

Source:

This also applies to Russia's military capabilities; people look at the raw numbers and think it ludicrous that a budget of only $65 billion should be compared with a budget of $800 billion.

What they don't understand is that Russia's military spending is significantly larger when properly contextualised in purchasing power parity terms, instead of US dollar terms.

Russia's military spending is close to $200 billion in purchasing power parity terms... much larger than the $65 billion dollar military figure expressed in US currency.

Sources:

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
That notion is based on a misconception; Russia's economy is actually only slightly smaller than Germany's economy -- when the far more reliable purchasing power parity metric is used.

Source:

This also applies to Russia's military capabilities; people look at the raw numbers and think it ludicrous that a budget of only $65 billion should be compared with a budget of $800 billion.

What they don't understand is that Russia's military spending is significantly larger when properly contextualised in purchasing power parity terms, instead of US dollar terms.

Russia's military spending is close to $200 billion in purchasing power parity terms... much larger than the $65 billion dollar military figure expressed in US currency.

Sources:

In university, my lecturers used to stress the fact that Russia’s economy will be harmed each time they try to flex their muscle.

In university, my lecturers used to stress the fact that Russia’s economy will be harmed each time they try to flex their muscle.

And they were right; Russia's economy will be severely harmed. Russia is simply not ready for the sort of nuclear grade sanctions that the United States could impose through SWIFT.

Aurelian

Forza Somalia!
VIP
Heavily against Russia, invading another country with official troops and stripping a part of that country into yours, in front of the whole world and UN law is trigger warning to any country next to Russia. Let alone supporting rebels and joining your troops between them.

The West promised Gorbatchev in 1991 that they wouldn't expand NATO beyond West Germany and as you can see they didn't keep their promises, approximately 10 east european countries joined.
One of them (Estonia) shares a border with Russia, if Ukraine joins NATO, then they will have american military bases next to their borders.
NATO lied to Russia so Putin won't let Ukraine go and Biden won't do anything about it.
Estonians are the rest of east Europe hates Russia from 1940 for what they did, glad that these small Baltic nations joined nato to avoid 1940s scenario. Before the conflict with Russia, Ukraine did not had any issue with Russia, and joining nato wasn't a major topic or accepted. But them seeing their neighbour acting as if it owns ukrine and not allowing to transition to democracy unveiled the truth. Ukrine is now is the only country without protection from Russia wrath.

Putin is sniffing weakness in the West as they pulled out of Afghanistan and Western publics becoming anti-war.

Ukraine has been an important part of Russian history for centuries, they share a culture and language so whatever happens between them is only between them. The West in my opinion shouldn't get involved, that's just interference as usual (especially in the case of the US).

It remains to be seen what exactly Comrade Putin has in store for that region, we'll just have to wait and see, won't we?

Aurelian

Forza Somalia!
VIP
Ukraine has been an important part of Russian history for centuries, they share a culture and language so whatever happens between them is only between them. The West in my opinion shouldn't get involved, that's just interference as usual (especially in the case of the US).

It remains to be seen what exactly Comrade Putin has in store for that region, we'll just have to wait and see, won't we?
Hayaay, ukrine itself is asking help from the west, though Germany and France have stood in negative neutrality against Ukraine by asking her to just calm down and talk while it's getting invaded. But hey, even if these two countries have economic interests with Russia there is a limit where they allow Russia to do whatever it wants.

They can't just stand there while seeing a whole sovereign country to be invaded without any responds and at same time act as if they responsibilities as leaders of EU. Do you think the US will let Canada or Mexico to be invaded and us politicians would say: non of our business"? No, that is a huge security risk the EU would take if it let Ukraine go down quietly

Estonians are the rest of east Europe hates Russia from 1940 for what they did, glad that these small Baltic nations joined nato to avoid 1940s scenario. Before the conflict with Russia, Ukraine did not had any issue with Russia, and joining nato wasn't a major topic or accepted. But them seeing their neighbour acting as if it owns ukrine and not allowing to transition to democracy unveiled the truth. Ukrine is now is the only country without protection from Russia wrath.
Ukraine wasn't planning to join NATO yet, but it was definitely planning to join the EU, and when you are a member of the EU the next step is to join NATO.
Especially when you share a giant border with Russia and when the majority of your population hates Russia.

I know that east europeans hate Russia, but Eastern Europe is a buffer zone between 2 giants (Russia vs the West), so obviously it's going to be an unstable region.

GemState

36/21
VIP

Doesn't make sense imo, Crimea was about access to the sea, about acquiring ports and stationing a fleet. Everyone knew what were the objectives, and Russia suffered a lot due to sanctions. I don't see the benefits to taking the entire country

Trending