Really Interesting Paper On Afro-Asiatic Language Grouping

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very interesting paper I'm currently reading through it. It appears that there are usually two afro Asiatic roots one that evolved and is used in North/west African language and the other root evolved and used in north/east African branch of Afro Asiatic maybe this is due to the fact that afro Asiatic is much older than other language families but the paper hasn't touched on west Asian afro Asiatic languages or I haven't yet reached it yet maybe they have a third root that is different than the other two?

To me it is new. I thought Cushitic was one of the older branches but it turns out it's one the youngest. Egyptian is also the oldest and most divergent, followed by Semitic.

Apollo

VIP
To me it is new. I thought Cushitic was one of the older branches but it turns out it's one the youngest. Egyptian is also the oldest and most divergent, followed by Semitic.

Afro-Asiatic originated between Egypt and Israel.

The Horn heimat theories are pure nonsense.

Afro-Asiatic originated between Egypt and Israel.

The Horn heimat theories are pure nonsense.

You're probably right about the HOA, but I find it hard to believe that AA originated outside of Africa. Maybe Upper Egypt, maybe north africa. But definitely not Levant and Arabia.

I take it, you also don't believe Omotic is a branch of AA?

Apollo

VIP
You're probably right about the HOA, but I find it hard to believe that AA originated outside of Africa. Maybe Upper Egypt, maybe north africa. But definitely not Levant and Arabia.

I take it, you also don't believe Omotic is a branch of AA?

Original Omotic is not AA, but something like Hadza. They copied a lot of words from Cushitic making it appear AA-ish.

Original Omotic is not AA, but something like Hadza. They copied a lot of words from Cushitic making it appear AA-ish.
Omotic is an outlier when it comes to to AA languages I think it is a creoal that developed when the original Afro Asiatic people came to the horn but that's just my theory:manny:

Bookmarked. It's pretty hard finding info like this on Afrasian languages. Most of the published material is about Indo-European.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending