Rape is very common in Somalia/land and other Somali regions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dhabaal

Part time -Devils Advocate Full time- Anarchist
i'm not stereotyping, shit i'm from the north...i'm talking about a serious issue. u gotta be impartial when it comes to something as serious as rape. i feel like yall niggas take this shit too lightly walahi. when talking about the culture and attitude towards rape, how prevalent it is, or whether it's systematic or not is completely irrelevant

and even if i was stereotyping, so what? y'all so offended by ppl and a culture getting stereotyped but seemingly have no issue with the culture of indifference to and victim blaming of rape that exists. like i said waa waali cas

idk about yall but i'm willing to thow my culture under the bus and stereotype mfs if it means something is done about this issue, that's a more than fair price to pay if i was to go that route. walahi i'd go straight @VixR on niggas (sorry Vix :drakelaugh:)

niggas gang rape girls in hargeisa, and instead of getting punished, it's the girls whose reputations are ruined by being labeled s ffs. b-but MUH CULTURE, naw f*ck that noise :idontlike:

Bad cultural practices exists , i actual encourage people to scrutinize their own culture and traditions rather than to give blind support to it.

Cultures should cultivate, but not all aspects of culture do this. In these instances cultures, like everything else, can be host to inhumanity and racism. Purveyor of intolerance, cruelty, and stagnation.

Some aspects of Somali culture are negative, and range from non-productive to potentially lethal.Some have no place in modernity. Some are hindrances to development and while they services our people in specific historical periods and contextes are made useless or redundant in modernity.

Political correctness sometimes avoids a full disclosure on other people's culture, while racist attitudes assume that what is standard in the West should be standard for everyone.

Without a holistic look at the dynamic Somali society there is a risk of mis-diagnosing and re-stereotyping Somali culture.

If our mission is to better understand, and hence prevent sexual violence it will only come with giving a more sophisticated balanced analysis that is holistic and inclusive of reality. Empty rhetoric appeals to the emotions of the populous; it has no loyalty to comprehension and tangible solutions.

Dhabaal

When it comes to the issues of sexual violence under careful examination i don't regard this as culture. I regard this as a systemic issue, dealing with the collapse of Somali institutions and justice systems due the civil war. That the main issue is the justice systems in the country and how it needs re formative measures.

I have been to Somalia several times, i go back there every Christmas break with my family and i hang around and talk to mostly Somalis daily

So nothing anyone here says is remotely new or alien to me.

The difference is i don't rely solely on hersays and experiences, First of all Hersay can be very falsifiable subjective and experiences can be anecdotal.

It does not give you full in-depth analytic outlook on the issues within your society, it also doesn't lend to any sort of comprehension and solutions to it.

What you are talking about is married rape that happens within the context of weapons of war by milita , and soldiers.

Forced marriages are not common or cultural at all. If it does happen, it happens in very poverty stricken places in the countryside.

That's not the case and it's not only soldiers/militias doing it. These heinous crimes take place all over Somalia. The least we owe the voiceless is to admit what's going on. Having honest, open dialogues brings awareness.

Dhabaal

That's not the case and it's not only soldiers/militias doing it. These heinous crimes take place all over Somalia. The least we owe the voiceless is to admit what's going on.Having honest, open dialogues brings awareness.

I 100% agree with what you are saying here. Victims of sexual violence are not just faceless numbers, but persons, whose stories needs to be humanised. Someone’s wife, sister, son, and a member of our community.

In this case I don't see what's so bad about blowing out of proportion. I mean it's fucking rape, ideally wouldn't you want zero people to be raped? But the real number is somewhere way higher than that let's be honest.

:faysalwtf:
Have the decency to take your apologist schtick somewhere else. Not on serious matters like rape

can we please discuss these kinds of serious issues in a private thread or in af somali.
there's people who read this site just to get dirt on us.

btw some of you guys are ridiculous in your attempts to downplay the sad reality for women in Somalia. whether it's the stigma of shame or the fact that there's no legitimate justice system, women who are abused don't get justice.
don't act like our culture isn't seriously flawed. remember the story @Zayd told about that girl who was shamed and humiliated because several guys raped her. on top of that the gossiping fuckers made her out to be tainted or some shit so no one would marry her.

Last edited:

Tramo

Nine kitaabs on a bookshelf
In this case I don't see what's so bad about blowing out of proportion. I mean it's fucking rape, ideally wouldn't you want zero people to be raped? But the real number is somewhere way higher than that let's be honest.

:faysalwtf:
Have the decency to take your apologist schtick somewhere else. Not on serious matters like rape
that's what i'm saying bro

who really gives a f*ck if people are overstating how prevalent rape is, if that's indeed what's going on? what's more important, reputation (of somalia :mjlol:) or victims of rape? the one topic you would think is off limits man, jheeze :uCkf6mf:

The_Cosmos

Pepe Trump
The sad reality is that a woman can get raped in Somalia and instead of defending her, society blames her for being raped!! A nation is defined by its people and the same can be said for the legal system. In one of the sources I put out a woman was gang raped and when she told the police, they dismissed her. They're not just corrupt or incompetent police officers, they are perpetuating the attitudes of the society. Another example, a woman was raped by the AU troops and when locals found out guess how they reacted, they stigmatised her for being raped by kaffirs! These are not numbers on a website, these are real people. There was one 14 year old girl who sold sweets to make a living. One day a Somali man abducted her and raped her.

I'm not trying to destroy the image of Somalis, I'm just pointing out the harsh realities of the society back home.

The first step to solving a problem is by actually acknowledging there is a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending