Racism In Somalia: Arabic 'Soft-Hairs' Always Run The Show

Crow

Make Hobyo Great Again
VIP
SAGAALAAD, Somalia - In Somalia, people with hard hair suffer first and suffer most.

Amid the hatred and violence that cut so many ways in Somalia, people of Arab descent with soft hair hold sway over those who wear the hard curls of an African.

The soft hairs, Somalis whose ethnic roots are buried in the sands of the Arabian Peninsula, own the businesses, carry the guns and run the political factions that are vying to replace deposed dictator Mohamed Siad Barre.

Warlord Mohamed Farrah Aidid is a soft-hair. Arab-descended Somalis have also robbed their hard-haired countrymen, many of whose ancestors were East Africans, of their farms and forced them into modern-day servitude that borders on slavery.

"Somalia has a racism problem. It's one of the dirty little secrets that the civil war has exposed," said Ken Menkhaus, a Somalia scholar and U.N. adviser from Davidson College in North Carolina.

The distinction is not color, but ancestry.

The Somalis of Arab descent call their brethren "tiimo jereer" - hard hairs. Or, more honestly, "addoon" - slave. That is what many were a century ago and what they have become again since civil war ripped away what little protection they had.

For lack of a more accurate term, aid workers call the East African-descended people Bantus after the group of languages many of their ancestors spoke.

New deeds written

Under Siad Barre's 22-year regime, the 300,000 or so Somali Bantus lost much of their land to government officials who simply wrote themselves deeds to the richest farms along the Jubba and Shabeelle rivers of southern Somalia.

During the famine, those landless Bantus were the first to go hungry.

When Siad Barre fell, the Somali clan gunmen came, again forcing Bantus from their farms, raping Bantu women and settling into a pattern of routine extortion that could only be called servitude by terror.

"We have to work for the people who stole our land. Our girls have to work as servants in our own houses," said Aden Yusuf Aden, 28, a resident of Sagaalaad, a predominantly Bantu village on the banks of the crocodile-infested Shabeelle, 19 miles west of Mogadishu.

Some Bantus migrated into the area as long as 1,000 years ago, farming plots that the nomadic Somalis scorned. Others were brought in by Arab slave traders during the 19th century, then escaped and settled on unoccupied land along the rivers.

"You had one of the weakest social groups occupying one of the richest resources in Somalia," said Menkhaus. "That's a contradiction they're in the process of resolving now at the point of a gun."

U.N. arrival welcomed

The Bantus welcomed the international intervention in Somalia 14 months ago because they hoped for relief from the famine and help in recovering their lands.

Inadvertently, the U.N. also helped forge a new sense of identity among the Bantus.

Partly inspired by the sight of Zimbabwean, Botswanan, Nigerian and black American peacekeepers brandishing weapons and fighting ethnic Somalis, the Somali Bantus formed their own political party, called SAMO.

In January, SAMO invited the 15 ethnic Somali political factions to join them in talks about the future of the country and of the Bantus. The invitation brought an immediate and angry response from local members of Aidid's faction.

"It's a meeting that brings confrontation," said Abdikadir Hassan Siad, chairman of the area's pro-Aidid youth group. "This meeting is only for Bantus and the Bantus don't live here. We've never heard of Bantus. I hear they live in Central Africa.

"We only recognize that there's soft hair and there's hard hair," he added when pressed.

The Bantus chased Aidid supporters out of the village.

"We will overcome every obstacle," said Ahmed Yusuf Mahalin, 26, a student from Mogadishu. "We know freedom is expensive. We must feed it blood."

SAMO seems destined to meet with frustration, however. The Somali factions and their armies have the weapons, and, history suggests, little genuine concern for their hard-haired brethren.

"The Bantus in the long-run are going to lose," said Menkhaus. "It's hard to see how they're going to fend off this invasion by nomadic Somalis who are competing for very scarce resources."
tenor.gif

Yonis

Puntland Youth Organiser
FKD Visionary
VIP
its obv comes from the english translation of timo-jilec vs j4reer. cultural lingo highlighting the difference between ethnic somalis and somali bantus, but it sounds funky when its translated to english.

The soft hairs run tings kulahaa :russ::mjlol:

w7xSqls.png

See?

Bantus have an agenda to "other" Somalis and claim all of Africa is theirs and that Somalis and other Cushites are invaders. Somali hair has nothing to do with Arabs.

We are the natives of the Horn.

These Bantus are newcomers to East Africa and originally hail from Cameroon.

USC raping Bantus? That explains why some Bantus could pass for Somali. I will never support or condone the abuse of any human being. I just dislike the false narrative that they push about ethnic Somalis.

As for those farmlands, who gave it to Bantus? The Italians right? Who owned those farmlands before Bantus showed up/were brought over?

USC raping Bantus? That explains why some Bantus could pass for Somali. I will never support or condone the abuse of any human being. I just dislike the false narrative that they push about ethnic Somalis.

As for those farmlands, who gave it to Bantus? The Italians right? Who owned those farmlands before Bantus showed up/were brought over?

Bantus mix with reer xamar hence the jileec look. They want to blame us for everything under the sun. Wallahi our people need to wake up. Most Somalis think bantus are miskeen.

Bantus mix with reer xamar hence the jileec look. They want to blame us for everything under the sun. Wallahi our people need to wake up. Most Somalis think bantus are miskeen.

Bantus are miskeen for the following

1. Being brought forcefully to Somalia by slave traders and Italians
2. When they are physically attacked, bullied and marginalised in society.

But they are not miskeen when they

1. Join AlShaydaaan to hurt Somalis
2. Falsely claim they are native to Somalia.

We need a real and definitive solution for the Bantu issue. The UN needs to continue the repatriation process to Tanzania etc.

It's a big waste of time for Bantus to try to fight Somalis, they should spend that time learning Swahili/Kiswahili and finding ways to move back to their ancestral lands.

Someone please tell me, which clans lived on the farmlands of South Somalia before the Italians seized it and brought over Bantu farmers? This will settle the issue.

Bantus are miskeen for the following

1. Being brought forcefully to Somalia by slave traders and Italians
2. When they are physically attacked, bullied and marginalised in society.

But they are not miskeen when they

1. Join AlShaydaaan to hurt Somalis
2. Falsely claim they are native to Somalia.

We need a real and definitive solution for the Bantu issue. The UN needs to continue the repatriation process to Tanzania etc.

It's a big waste of time for Bantus to try to fight Somalis, they should spend that time learning Swahili/Kiswahili and finding ways to move back to their ancestral lands.

Also they want Kenya to annex Jubbaland. If that ever happens I predict the Somalis will be wiped out there. The bantus will be given governance and will continue land grabbing.

Octavian

Hmm
VIP
Also they want Kenya to annex Jubbaland. If that ever happens I predict the Somalis will be wiped out there. The bantus will be given governance and will continue land grabbing.
jubaland ?? witch dumb f*ck of a politician s trying to give away one of the most fertile region of somalia to kenya

pack them in plains and busses and send them back to tanzania and brazeville

If you were a Somali bantu then why wouldn't the preference be Tanzania?

1. Much safer
2. Better educational opportunities.
3. Infrastructure and national development.
4. Will not be an ethnic minority.

If I was Bantu I would leave. There's zero reasons for a genuine person to remain.

salma saluuni

For the thrill💃🏽
You guys can come for me over what I’m about to say..... I know I make a lot of jokes about somali Bantus but in reality when I meet them and saw them for the first time in somalia they were kind and hardworking people. I don’t think they should be deported back to Congo and Tanzania. Somali Bantus are as Somali as ethnic Somalis are. Somalia has now become their home and the sooner you guys realise that instead of attacking them 24/7 the better. Ask yourselves this. You guys are always on about them but have you actually been back home and met them. Most unproblematic Somalis ever. I’ll tell you know what you’re going to say. You’re going to tell me about how half of them are in as. Aren’t there more ethnic Somalis in as then Bantus?

I thought it was Arabs that brought somali Bantus over to somalia :cosbyhmm:

I think it was a combination of people, the Arabs basically ruled the Swahili coast which was right next door, that's why these mixed groups like Barawani etc, exist in South Somalia.
Arabs, Somali slave traders (?), Italians etc.

You guys can come for me over what I’m about to say..... I know I make a lot of jokes about somali Bantus but in reality when I meet them and saw them for he first time in somalia they were kind and hardworking people. I don’t think they should be deported back to Congo and Tanzania. Somali Bantus are as Somali as ethnic Somalis are. Somalia has now become their home and the sooner you guys realise that instead of attacking them 24/7 the better.

They make up most of Al-Shabaab. They may be respectful towards you. But history has constantly shown the hatred they have for us.

Everyone is better of separating.

Most human beings would love to live where they truly belong. I am 100% sure that a Bantu feels happy and safe in Bantu countries as opposed to Somalia. That's why the UN started taking them back but for some reason the programme was stopped.

Trending

Latest posts