Puntland Local Elections 2023 & Presidential Elections 2024

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
@Kheyre they haven't censused the people which is critical in my opinion because parliament seats are shared on population quota's and PL parliament district quotas needs to be made clear. They used estimation models for this local election, which is not constitutional.

As @Abdalla said, They haven't made it clear are we going to have local elections and then presidential election every 5 year separately. Or is it parliamentary type system, where the puntland parliament will be shared based on local election results. This means there will be only one election cycle every 5 years and the puntland parliament will be shared based on what local election results are.

I am biased to a parliamentary system being from Australia, as it will force parties out into the regions and campaign every 5 years. I prefer a system u need to win 22 districts out of 40 in puntland, to secure a 51% margin to form the government or else they will campaign only in major cities and neglect rural areas. So im not for a population quota system, but prefer a district competition model, so each district matters in each election.

Last edited:

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
Come on puntites discuss what your favorite election model is. Do u want America system where they hold presidential elections and local elections separately or the australian and british model, where every district will be known as the 'seat of dhahar, seat of gaalkacyo, seat of bosaso, seat of baargaal, etc' and we compete on who can win most 'seats' not population.

This means if PL is 40 districts, it was 28 districts prior to 1991, u need to secure a 51% majority on the 'seats' not 'population'. This will mean each seat in parliament will count or else they will just campaign where there is highest population and neglect lower populated districts. What's your favorite 'nidaam' for election model @Kheyre. I will be fighting for representation in my chosen party at 'birta dheer' and 'boocame' @Hot Ballah. I will compete against hassan ugaas, mohamed ugaar, and bah dubays. Isn't that fair @Libaax-Joore

PL people need to discuss this matter as it will get heated if left to simmer un-answered. Do we want british model or an american model. American model is based on who win's majority of the votes in popular election but notice they also have 'electoral college' meaning they have to win 270 seats similar to the westminster system. I say we adopt the westminster system and tally up who wins the most district seats and they can form the government.

Last edited:

Trending

Latest posts