Pre-Islamic beliefs

There seems to be confusion on the Pre-Islamic beliefs of our ancestors. Some people claim the Pre-Islamic Somalis were Pagans & others claim they were Monotheists. If you can clarify the beliefs of our Pre-Islamic ancestors & bring evidence then feel free to do so.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Last edited:

madaxweyne

madaxweyne
VIP
There seems to be confusion on the Pre-Islamic beliefs of our ancestors. Some people claim the Pre-Islamic Somalis were Pagans & others claim they were Monotheists. If you can clarify the beliefs of our Pre-Islamic ancestors & bring evidence then feel free to do so.

They were monotheistic meaning they worshipped one god who they called waaq

They were waaq believers some even until late the time of yusuf ibn al kawnen
Who actually killed a waaq priest before going to Maldives

As far as I know the Pre-Islamic Somalis worshipped one God (Waaq, the sky God) along with other 'lesser' spirits, but Waaq was recognized as the supreme creator. There were also myths of champions, kings, queens and giants. There were also beliefs could have been from the Arabian Peninsula such as Jinns and ghouls.

https://classroom.synonym.com/religion-in-somalia-before-islam-12087877.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Somali_mythology

madaxweyne

madaxweyne
VIP
It's interesting you noted that Yusuf ibn al kawnen killed a Waaq priest. Do you know any historical records on the conversion process of the Somalis to Islam?
I don't think it was limited to somalis prior to yusuf, the first Muslim state started in shewa and was composed of mainly habash and somali muslims,later invaded by yusufs grandsons who started ifat

They converted together with jeeberti tigrays and habash muslims and was probably a slow process

Were these Somali Christians independent from the Axumite Empire?

Some were.

There are Ge'ez inscriptions in the North of Somalia along with multiple Sabean inscriptions.

Apparently, the early Somali civilizations in the north took a lot of inspiration from Ethiopian kingdoms so it could very well be likely.

Another route would have been through port cities and interactions with Christians Sabeans and Chrisitan Romans etc.

madaxweyne

madaxweyne
VIP
Some were.

There are Ge'ez inscriptions in the North of Somalia along with multiple Sabean inscriptions.

Apparently, the early Somali civilizations in the north took a lot of inspiration from Ethiopian kingdoms so it could very well be likely.

Another route would have been through port cities and interactions with Christians Sabeans and Chrisitan Romans etc.
Wouldn't be surprised
Somalis converted imidiately after the hijrah to abysinia along with some habash like tigrays argobba and hararis
Am pretty sure the somali city states were independent but we're most likely associated with axum, who probably held power outside of those states

Christian beliefs including ge ez would have come from them

Wouldn't be surprised
Somalis converted imidiately after the hijrah to abysinia along with some habash like tigrays argobba and hararis
Am pretty sure the somali city states were independent but we're most likely associated with axum, who probably held power outside of those states

Christian beliefs including ge ez would have come from them
Are you claiming the Somali city-states were essentially tributaries of Axum & only "independent" by name?

It would make sense if these Somali Christians were of the Orthodox kind.

madaxweyne

madaxweyne
VIP
Are you claiming the Somali city-states were essentially tributaries of Axum & only "independent" by name?

It would make sense if these Somali Christians were of the Orthodox kind.
They paid tribute but ruled independently and were in close association with axum

their was a source about this somewhere but I can send it here when I find it

Last edited:

Factz

Factzopedia
VIP
They paid tribute but ruled independently and were in close association with axum

their was a source about this somewhere but I can send it here when I find it

There are no evidence they paid tribute. The northern Somali city-states were both Christians and Jewish while the southern Somali city-states were predominantly Waaq worshippers.

The northern city-states did associate and trade with Axum but that's about it.

Axum did not power over the northern city-states but most likely influence them but it was minimal. Most of our ancient cultural influence where the Sabaeans, Persians and Indians.

madaxweyne

madaxweyne
VIP
There are no evidence they paid tribute. The northern Somali city-states were both Christians and Jewish while the southern Somali city-states were predominantly Waaq worshippers.

The northern city-states did associate and trade with Axum but that's about it.

Axum did not power over the northern city-states but most likely influence them but it was minimal. Most of our ancient cultural influence where the Sabaeans, Persians and Indians.
That's exactly what I said
I disagree with. Sabaeans Persians and Indians
Most of our influence was from our neighbours

Only axum had influence and trade with the city states this involves religion writing scripts and even the first Muslims

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
I remember reading about this in Sada Mire's (2016) paper.

"The link between Christianity and the Aw-Barkhadle archaeological landscape[ located near Hargeisa] is evidenced by the discovery of gravestones in situ, carved with the Ethiopian Orthodox cross. Not only is the site of Aw-Barkhadle associated with pre-Islamic peoples, but the Christian gravestones and cairns add to the multi-religious significance of the site, a place where people from different religions were buried."

Factz

Factzopedia
VIP
That's exactly what I said
I disagree with. Sabaeans Persians and Indians
Most of our influence was from our neighbours

Only axum had influence and trade with the city states this involves religion writing scripts and even the first Muslims

We traded with Sabaeans, Persians and Indians far more than Axumites. We received cultural influence and products from them, mostly. Nothing wrong with that. What did we get from Axumites? Injere (Canjeero)? That is nothing.

Studies have shown we got religious influence from Himyarites and Romans who we used to trade with. We had Jewish population in the north, don't forget that.

Socotra used to be Nestorian Christian, even as late as when the Portuguese started circumnavigating Africa in the 1500-1600s.
The Island's isolated location played a large role in Socotra remaining Christian for such a long time.

If Socotra had an enduring Christian presence then surely Northern Somalia had a significant Christian presence as well.

Last edited:

Trending