Persian Influence in Somalia

Status
Not open for further replies.
The name Liibaan is a common Oromo name denoting one of their major clans.

Let me guess, they also got it from the Arabs who they have absolutely no contact with right?

I didn't say it is an Arabic loanword as such. I read about this a long time ago and don't remember. I was just pointing out it was also a name amongst the ancient Arab tribes.

In any case, this isn't surprising at all. The languages belong to the same language family.

Are you fluent in arabic, how do you know all this
I speak Arabic but even I didn't know these words were from Arabic because nobody uses them anymore I read these somewhere and I was absolutely fascinated I think Arabic influenced somali the same way French influenced English

There is undeniable Persian influence but it's not clear where it comes from exactly. Mogadishu was added to the Ummayad Caliphate by Abd al-Malik ibn Marwan in 646 and he brought Syrian Arabs there, the ancestors of the Shanshi, to add to the already-existing Yemeni population, the ancestors of the Reer Faqi.

When the Abbasid Caliphate was falling apart in the beginning of the 10th century, there is a legendary account of "Seven Brothers sailing seven ships" from either Shiraz or Haasa (depending on the account) who conquered the East African coast, each brother and each ship founding a city. This is a clearly mythical tale but the first brother conquered and founded Mogadishu and the second brother conquered and founded Baraawe. Now there is a separate account of the founding of the Mogadishu state which is that one day Abbasid authority just evaporated and the city was left to fend for itself, so the town elders organized a republic where the 39 clans of Mogadishu would share power, and this happened in 917. Either way, this period is called the Shirazi period, and Mogadishu and Baraawe were both Swahili-style city states. (Baraawe also founded their own republic).

It's actually possible that the Persian influence is from pre-Islamic times. Mogadishu was originally founded by Himyar merchants, this is what the Periplus of the Erythraean Sea says that this whole region was subject to Himyar. Himyar was conquered by the Sassanid Empire in 575, so there would have been 70 years between Sassanid rule of Mogadishu and Mogadishu becoming part of the Islamic Empire. It's likely in fact that Mogadishu would have been taken from the Sassanids directly, since 646 was in the middle of the Islamic-Sassanid wars.

Last edited:
There is undeniable Persian influence but it's not clear where it comes from exactly. Mogadishu was added to the Ummayad Caliphate by Abd al-Malik ibn Marwan in 646 and he brought Syrian Arabs there, the ancestors of the Shanshi, to add to the already-existing Yemeni population, the ancestors of the Reer Faqi.

When the Abbasid Caliphate was falling apart in the beginning of the 10th century, there is a legendary account of "Seven Brothers sailing seven ships" from either Shiraz or Haasa (depending on the account) who conquered the East African coast, each brother and each ship founding a city. This is a clearly mythical tale but the first brother conquered and founded Mogadishu and the second brother conquered and founded Baraawe. Now there is a separate account of the founding of the Mogadishu state which is that one day Abbasid authority just evaporated and the city was left to fend for itself, so the town elders organized a republic where the 39 clans of Mogadishu would share power, and this happened in 917. Either way, this period is called the Shirazi period, and Mogadishu and Baraawe were both Swahili-style city states. (Baraawe also founded their own republic).

It's actually possible that the Persian influence is from pre-Islamic times. Mogadishu was originally founded by Himyar merchants, this is what the Periplus of the Erythraean Sea says that this whole region was subject to Himyar. Himyar was conquered by the Sassanid Empire in 575, so there would have been 70 years between Sassanid rule of Mogadishu and Mogadishu becoming part of the Islamic Empire. It's likely in fact that Mogadishu would have been taken from the Sassanids directly, since 646 was in the middle of the Islamic-Sassanid wars.
Ummayd caliphate never ruled Mogadishu you got any sources

Ummayd caliphate never ruled Mogadishu you got any sources

I'm not sure why this isn't better known...

https://books.google.ca/books?id=R1dDDwAAQBAJ&lpg=PR11&dq=caliph mogadishu&pg=PR11#v=onepage&q&f=false

Dates in the chronology above conflict with mine but that's ok, facts are the same, the 646 date is from Reer Xamar tradition and that may be the incorrect date since that's the beginning of the Caliph's reign, so 700 may be the more accurate date.

https://books.google.ca/books?id=XpdAzRYruCwC&lpg=PA4&dq=caliph mogadishu&pg=PA4#v=onepage&q&f=false
Mogadishu during the Abbasids rebelled several times

Not just Mogadishu either, the Caliphate controlled all the way to Mombasa

Abkaal

Mudug menaces don't mince their words

Sxb In Kitab al-Zanuj, it is mentioned that in 41 AH Islam was practised in modern day Somalia. It also mentions that a commander with his troops was sent by the Umayyad Caliph ‘Abd al-Malik Ibn Marwan (66-86 AH/685-705 CE) to Mogadishu and Kilwa. His orders were to fortify his troops, because the coastal Somali states denied to pay his Kharaj taxes and showed vote of no confidence. Also the military expeditions did not stop there. The Abbasids under the Caliph al-Mansur (95–158 AH/714–775 CE) appointed permanent governor. While in Caliph Harun al-Rashid (148-193 AH/763-809 CE) time, the coastal Somali states denied to pay his Kharaj taxes and showed vote of no confidence. He had to send forces to subdue them in 188 AH/804 CE. In 214 AH/ 829 CE, the Caliph al-Ma’mun (170-218 AH/786–833 CE) couldn't subdue them and had to send larger force of about 50.000 men to subdue the coastal Eastern African states and demands they pay back their taxes.

I'm not sure why this isn't better known...

https://books.google.ca/books?id=R1dDDwAAQBAJ&lpg=PR11&dq=caliph mogadishu&pg=PR11#v=onepage&q&f=false

Dates in the chronology above conflict with mine but that's ok, facts are the same, the 646 date is from Reer Xamar tradition and that may be the incorrect date since that's the beginning of the Caliph's reign, so 700 may be the more accurate date.

https://books.google.ca/books?id=XpdAzRYruCwC&lpg=PA4&dq=caliph mogadishu&pg=PA4#v=onepage&q&f=false
Mogadishu during the Abbasids rebelled several times

Not just Mogadishu either, the Caliphate controlled all the way to Mombasa
I mean are there any sources by the Arabs. If they conqurecoit there must be any Arab source mentioning that which I didn't find

One man found and conquered a city ?

No they were not . Stop trolling the thread with suugo science .

Iranians

iran1.png

IMG_3084.jpg

Mogadishu mirrored Zanzibar.

When Somalia gains peace and economic growth the arts will be revived and young men and women will look to researching their history.

The Arts are important for culture to understand itself. A national museum will help unearth many secrets of Somalia and the hidden treasures in our oceans.

Until then it’s 4.5 and nacaasnimo.

I completely agree! Museums are there to encourage research and learning into one's history and it is vital that people understand and appreciate their arts and culture so that we can build a strong, proud Somalia!

Interesting :nvjpqts:

Status
Not open for further replies.