Persian Influence in Somalia

Status
Not open for further replies.
So for the past year I have been researching Somali history and culture extensively and I have really been enjoying discovering how so well interconnected Somali merchants and kingdoms were with some of the world's greatest civilizations (e.g. ancient Egypt, China, Rome...).

One of my favourite civilizations is definitely that of Persia, modern-day Iran. I've seen many claims that this particular culture had a lasting influence on Somalia, such as the original meaning of Mugdisho and Reer Xamar/Merka people having Iranian roots, but unfortunately, I couldn't find much. Does anyone know anything about Persian influence in Somalia, and can you link any sources?

P.S. This is my first thread so be nice!!! :):p

Yonis

Puntland Youth Organiser
FKD Visionary
VIP
Also the name Farah has persian roots, this perhaps could be the root of the faraax name in Somalia, from coming into contact with persian merchants. (just a guess)

World

VIP
Also the name Farah has persian roots, this perhaps could be the root of the faraax name in Somalia, from coming into contact with persian merchants. (just a guess)
Lol no. Farax is an authentic Somali name shared by other Cushitic speakers. Why are you begging it for?

Persia and Somalia had quite a strong relationship in the past prior to the Safavid takeover of Iran.

The traces of this historical relationship is visible in some aspects of our culture and language.

The origins of the name Mogadishu and Banaadir are obvious examples.

In pre-Islamic times, we may have fended off Persian invasion (if we assume the Macrobians were amongst the ancestors of the modern Somali people).

The Persian Emperor Cambyses (Kambiz) II upon conquering Ancient Egypt sent ambassadors to Macrobia bringing luxury gifts for the Macrobian king to entice his submission, but instead the Macrobian ruler replied with a challenge for the Persian ruler in the form of an unstrung bow, that if the Persians could manage to string, they would have the right to invade his country, but until then they should thank the gods that the Macrobians never decided to invade their empire.” This ended in the Persians deciding against invasion.

Mogadishu mirrored Zanzibar.

When Somalia gains peace and economic growth the arts will be revived and young men and women will look to researching their history.

The Arts are important for culture to understand itself. A national museum will help unearth many secrets of Somalia and the hidden treasures in our oceans.

Until then it’s 4.5 and nacaasnimo.

Last edited:

Yonis

Puntland Youth Organiser
FKD Visionary
VIP
Lol no. Farax is an authentic Somali name shared by other Cushitic speakers. Why are you begging it for?
What is it with you constantly getting butthurt over my comments.

I said its just a guess, i had no idea its a real Cushitic name. Kulaha begging it

Yonis

Puntland Youth Organiser
FKD Visionary
VIP
Persia and Somalia had quite a strong relationship in the past prior to the Safavid takeover of Iran.

The traces of this historical relationship is visible in some aspects of our culture and language.

The origins of the name Mogadishu and Banaadir are obvious examples.

In pre-Islamic times, we may have fended off Persian invasion (if we assume the Macrobians were amongst the ancestors of the modern Somali people).

The Persian Emperor Cambyses (Kambiz) II upon conquering Ancient Egypt sent ambassadors to Macrobia bringing luxury gifts for the Macrobian king to entice his submission, but instead the Macrobian ruler replied with a challenge for the Persian ruler in the form of an unstrung bow, that if the Persians could manage to string, they would have the right to invade his country, but until then they should thank the gods that the Macrobians never decided to invade their empire.” This ended in the Persians deciding against invasion.
Correct

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending