oromophobia

El Nino

Cabsi cabsi
VIP
somalis expelled them after they expanded into jubaland first. they arent native to jubaland
They were native to Jubbaland, somalis expelled them. We conquered land from them, they did the same with us. Tale old as history itself.
it isnt their culture. they buy it once from a somali store and all of a sudden its theirs? thats like saying abaya is somali culture

It is their culture, multiple people can share the same thing, especially people who are neighbours. You should be proud that your people have influenced others.

And somali dudes wear indonesian macawiis and khamis to cultural events/days..it's not that deep
Somali men wear pjs in cultural day events

Knock Knock Sleepover GIF by TWICE

somali men are a langaab inferior species that copy every other group. they should stop claiming other peoples attire. same goes for oromos
We colonized macawis, nobody associates macawis with Indonesians anymore :rejoice:

Meanwhile xalimos cant even gatekeep baati's & harass random strangers :hemad:

nicki minaj

He was the realest, I was the baddest 💋
I saw only 2 of her videos (which I didn’t finish) yesterday and honestly she should’ve kept these in the drafts. I’m familiar with who this person is and how ignorant they can be so I wasn’t expecting much, I’m just surprised about how chill she was in the video. One thing that I’ll say is that I’m glad she brought up the cultural diffusion part, I also kinda agree with her on the whole baati discourse.

People in the Horn of Africa (especially our generation) completely fail to see the heavy amount of cultural diffusion present within these 4 countries. People have always been migrating, settling, mixing, exchanging, having fluid identities....hopefully you guys get the point because this is lowkey hard for me to explain. She’s Ethiopian, but more specifically Oromo, so she should really know this (the Ethiopian culture we think of is literally just components of things from different areas of that country. They’re all mixed, people adopt stuff from each other simply because they like it, that’s literally what Ethiopia is and I’ll never understand the extreme tribalism within that country). People who you are close to will also be the most similar as well HENCE Hararis, Somalis, and Hararghes in Ethiopia being more culturally similar to each other. Also you have things like Amhara and Oromo Shewans or even the Jarso Somalis and Oromos who didn’t even see each other as different people despite coming from different tribes.

You’ll find Djiboutians and (obviously) Eritreans doing coffee ceremonies which is a practice that came all the way from these little communities in Southern Ethiopia - the point is that the HoA is just a very connected place and I don’t understand why you guys do the absolute most on social media....especially when it comes to particular clothings like baatis and alhindis which aren’t even indigenous to our countries.
_______

As Somalis, why are we being dishonest with ourselves and calling out “cultural appropriation” knowing damn well we have SOOOOOOOO MUCH influence from other cultures? Like be fr!? :mjlol: We DO NOT produce or import Baatis, there’s no factories to even make them and we don’t have any textiles or prints. People from around the world wear it and have a specific name for this type of lounge/night wear, yet nobody acts the way Somalis do. Its a very common article of clothing so please dead this discussion and stop bothering people from different backgrounds who can’t even point to where Somalia is.

For Alhindi, even the name itself is enough to know its origins aren’t from Somalia (Al-Hindi). Almost ALL of East Africa wears this fabric. The islands like Madagascar and Comoros have it, so does Kenya and Uganda, even Yemen too! Theres so many different names for it like Kikoi, Shuka, Sahari Na Subaya, Maswa(n) and Mwawou.

Please look into the Omani Empire and Omani-Indian influence on the costal areas and islands of East Africa. In the 19th/20th century this particular fabric was on high demand and its been implemented into a lot of East African cultures. There’s literally books dedicated to the Omani-Indian influence on East Africa and books strictly on the textiles brought to East Africa. You guys literally live in a day and age where information like this is easily accessible!
(Also do you guys notice how its always the costal regions and mixed Somali communities that are the first to be introduced to these clothings and cuisines within the Somali community?)

Somalis originally wore stuff made out of cotton or leather (from animal hide), while using stuff like cowrie shells for decoration. You can still find photos of Somali less than a century ago still wearing it.
And before anyone gets it twisted- obviously cultures change and develop. NO I’m not saying we should stop wearing stuff like macawiis, baatis or alhindi just because it’s foreign! I’m just pointing out the lack of self awareness and ignorance within our community.

I don’t even blame non-Somalis for disliking us atp lol

they do claim it though. they even wore alindi, guntiino and diracs to their own oromo culture night show a few months back
They wore that to showcase the same clans Somalis conveniently claim when they want to discuss land politics tho. Dirac/ baati is apart of afranqallo culture Bc they come from mixed tribes. Their cultural nights showcase oromos from all regions who r very different. You’re moving like they randomly started wearing Baatis yesterday

they do claim it though. they even wore alindi, guntiino and diracs to their own oromo culture night show a few months back
Alindi is not just worn by the borana, they adopted it from the degodi ajuran and garre they live amongst. it is also worn as far as the Comoros islands. Alindi is not originally Somali. Why do you guys keep peddling this nonsense? It is literally Yemeni habirah, there’s countless hadiths stating how the prophet wore them and they are from Yemen. Even in Somalia traditional weavers are reer xamars who’s ancestors were Yemeni merchants. People don’t need to give you a shoutout every time they wear something we also wear.

I saw only 2 of her videos (which I didn’t finish) yesterday and honestly she should’ve kept these in the drafts. I’m familiar with who this person is and how ignorant they can be so I wasn’t expecting much, I’m just surprised about how chill she was in the video. One thing that I’ll say is that I’m glad she brought up the cultural diffusion part, I also kinda agree with her on the whole baati discourse.

People in the Horn of Africa (especially our generation) completely fail to see the heavy amount of cultural diffusion present within these 4 countries. People have always been migrating, settling, mixing, exchanging, having fluid identities....hopefully you guys get the point because this is lowkey hard for me to explain. She’s Ethiopian, but more specifically Oromo, so she should really know this (the Ethiopian culture we think of is literally just components of things from different areas of that country. They’re all mixed, people adopt stuff from each other simply because they like it, that’s literally what Ethiopia is and I’ll never understand the extreme tribalism within that country). People who you are close to will also be the most similar as well HENCE Hararis, Somalis, and Hararghes in Ethiopia being more culturally similar to each other. Also you have things like Amhara and Oromo Shewans or even the Jarso Somalis and Oromos who didn’t even see each other as different people despite coming from different tribes.

You’ll find Djiboutians and (obviously) Eritreans doing coffee ceremonies which is a practice that came all the way from these little communities in Southern Ethiopia - the point is that the HoA is just a very connected place and I don’t understand why you guys do the absolute most on social media....especially when it comes to particular clothings like baatis and alhindis which aren’t even indigenous to our countries.
_______

As Somalis, why are we being dishonest with ourselves and calling out “cultural appropriation” knowing damn well we have SOOOOOOOO MUCH influence from other cultures? Like be fr!? :mjlol: We DO NOT produce or import Baatis, there’s no factories to even make them and we don’t have any textiles or prints. People from around the world wear it and have a specific name for this type of lounge/night wear, yet nobody acts the way Somalis do. Its a very common article of clothing so please dead this discussion and stop bothering people from different backgrounds who can’t even point to where Somalia is.

For Alhindi, even the name itself is enough to know its origins aren’t from Somalia (Al-Hindi). Almost ALL of East Africa wears this fabric. The islands like Madagascar and Comoros have it, so does Kenya and Uganda, even Yemen too! Theres so many different names for it like Kikoi, Shuka, Sahari Na Subaya, Maswa(n) and Mwawou.

Please look into the Omani Empire and Omani-Indian influence on the costal areas and islands of East Africa. In the 19th/20th century this particular fabric was on high demand and its been implemented into a lot of East African cultures. There’s literally books dedicated to the Omani-Indian influence on East Africa and books strictly on the textiles brought to East Africa. You guys literally live in a day and age where information like this is easily accessible!
(Also do you guys notice how its always the costal regions and mixed Somali communities that are the first to be introduced to these clothings and cuisines within the Somali community?)

Somalis originally wore stuff made out of cotton or leather (from animal hide), while using stuff like cowrie shells for decoration. You can still find photos of Somali less than a century ago still wearing it.
And before anyone gets it twisted- obviously cultures change and develop. NO I’m not saying we should stop wearing stuff like macawiis, baatis or alhindi just because it’s foreign! I’m just pointing out the lack of self awareness and ignorance within our community.

I don’t even blame non-Somalis for disliking us atp lol
Exactly! What bothers me is the comments under these videos. Saying how ethnic Somalis made this and that, ethnic Somalis wore 2 sheets that’s it. That was our culture , we didn’t make anything and those of use who did were seen as untouchables as in the .5 community. Till this day these ppl are literally looked down on but they’re doing up essays about a culture they barley even contributed to.

Exactly! What bothers me is the comments under these videos. Saying how ethnic Somalis made this and that, ethnic Somalis wore 2 sheets that’s it. That was our culture , we didn’t make anything and those of use who did were seen as untouchables as in the .5 community. Till this day these ppl are literally looked down on but they’re doing up essays about a culture they barley even contributed to.

The just saw other ethnic groups doing up cultural appropriation debates and jumped on the bandwagon

The just saw other ethnic groups doing up cultural appropriation debates and jumped on the bandwagon
Even them calling it appropriation don’t make sense. There’s a power imbalance when it comes to appropriation, people hear words and run with them.

I am not sure where this hate for Oromos came from. I don't even think most kids in here have even interacted with Oromos, due to the fact Oromos are not that prevalent in the West, maybe in America and Minneapolis.

The Oromos are large and diverse, really diverse. The Eastern Oromos like the Arsi are virtually impossible to tell from any ordinary Somalis, other than the language you would not be able to tell, considering theirs been large assimilation and intermarriage.

Waa wareeey, hogayeeeey!

:jcoleno:

Where is the vomit button?
I am in literal distress after reading this booty clappers response.

Last edited:

Trending

Latest posts