Oromo and Somali are similar?

This video is of a borana oromo woman’s song her dialect of oromo seems abit more similar to Somali than I would have thought someone in the comments also said it sounds like garre but I’m not too sure also borana live near the nfd of Kenya

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
The Oromos who are really closest to us I'd say are those in Hararghe, Bale and Arsi. I'm not so sure about dialects but in looks these are the Oromos who will really startle you. It makes historical sense too cos these are regions Somalis historically were known or, in some cases, seemed to be in if you consult documents like the Futuh. In regions like Hararghe in particular some of the Oromos there straight up know that some of their ancestors just a few generations prior were Somalis and will tell you as much.

Seriously, these Arsi folks, as an example, are startling:

W7YYaEG.jpg
CpAXzcG.jpg
QPqGKkU.jpg
epHOsfe.jpg
igcOzOz.jpg

Oromos also have a lot of E-V32, especially Boranas. And this is the linguistic structure of East Cushitic:

QiNXBNi.png

As you can see, they are the closest to us outside of the "Omo-Tana" bunch. Even the West-Central Oromos have a fair amount of admixture from the original expanding Oromo tribes and will show elevated affinities toward Somalis when compared to Xabeshas.

Apollo

VIP
Cushitic languages are very old.

It is more on the level of Indo-European in terms of age.

In all honesty, it is easier for a Somali monolingual fob to learn Arabic than Oromo due to more loanwords being present in Somali from Arabic similar to how a monolingual Anglo will have an easier time learning French over German due to a big portion of French loanwords in English despite English being Germanic.

The Oromos who are really closest to us I'd say are those in Hararghe, Bale and Arsi. I'm not so sure about dialects but in looks these are the Oromos who will really startle you. It makes historical sense too cos these are regions Somalis historically were known or, in some cases, seemed to be in if you consult documents like the Futuh. In regions like Hararghe in particular some of the Oromos there straight up know that some of their ancestors just a few generations prior were Somalis and will tell you as much.

Seriously, these Arsi folks, as an example, are startling:

View attachment 211137View attachment 211138View attachment 211139View attachment 211140View attachment 211141

Oromos also have a lot of E-V32, especially Boranas. And this is the linguistic structure of East Cushitic:

View attachment 211145

As you can see, they are the closest to us outside of the "Omo-Tana" bunch. Even the West-Central Oromos have a fair amount of admixture from the original expanding Oromo tribes and will show elevated affinities toward Somalis when compared to Xabeshas.
I can see that the arsi look a lot like us but in terms of language do you know which people are most like us excluding rendille Ofc. I find this very interesting tho I won’t lie

What I said in August of last year:
:drakelaugh:

Somalis make it seem as though Oromos are like that annoying little cousin that just wants to follow you around everywhere.

There also seems to be this fear of an impending demographic bomb; people seem to believe that Oromos will replace Somalis in Hargeisa and Bosaso.

Have I summed it up correctly?

This video is of a borana oromo woman’s song her dialect of oromo seems abit more similar to Somali than I would have thought someone in the comments also said it sounds like garre but I’m not too sure also borana live near the nfd of Kenya

That’s because the language the Garre speak is Afaan Oromo in the Borana dialect with a slight accent.

When it come to language, all eastern dialects are closest to Somali in language, but the sound. I personally think it could be Hararghe or Borana. The 2 are really similar in accent but dialect differs a bit. Boran is closer to old and original Afan Oromo.

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
nahh afars are the closest cushitic group to us
In historical material culture, customs and way of life? I would say yes. Saho-Afars for sure. In genetics and linguistics, no. That's Oromos over them for sure.

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
Aren't the Oromos very mixed though?
So are Afars. Afars seem to surprisingly look pseudo Agaw/Xabesha genetically. Closer to us than an Amhara or Tigrinya is but less so than Oromos of all kinds. Eastern Oromos in particular are probably the closest Horners to Somalis genetically, hence the similarity in looks.

West-Central Oromos have a lot of extra ancient Yemeni and Horn HG in them but they seem admixed into by the early Oromo tribes which raises their affinity toward us compared to Agaws, Habeshas and Afars. Oromos are hands down are closest relatives in terms of genetics and linguistics.

Som

VIP

In all honesty, it is easier for a Somali monolingual fob to learn Arabic than Oromo due to more loanwords being present in Somali from Arabic similar to how a monolingual Anglo will have an easier time learning French over German due to a big portion of French loanwords in English despite English being Germanic.
Good example. With zero knowledge of Arabic i can understand about 10-15% of a modern standard Arabic speech just because of loanwords. Pronunciation is also very is for somali since we have X, C ,Q and KH sounds that are absent in Oromo and even in semitic languages like Amharic.

Som

VIP

So the fact cushitic is so old is probably the reason why we don't have much mutual intelligibility with other neighboring languages. Rendille sounds closer to Somali, but still not even close to the similarities between European languages of different groups.

Trending