Once my parents die my connection with Somalia will as well

I made a thread about this a while ago, And thought about how our future children will be lost cause majority of us don’t know much about the culture too, how many of us can speak the language? Know folk stories , our nations history, our tribes , subclans , abtiris, We are done!!!!
Doesn’t matter. They will form a new identity and culture. Just like what our ancestors did. It is inevitable.

digaagjecel

SSpots starting point guard
I don’t give a rats ass about my distant family back home especially my sub-sub clan I have no loyalty to them. They just ask for money and when you don’t have anything they call you xaasid. My immediate family can ask me for anything though.

Will you really though? A lot of the people that said they're moving to Somalia never did. I think the majority of us will stay here as long as Somalia continues to be destabilized.
I will live in Somalia, but still have contact to the country I currently live in, I will be registered as someone who lives outside. I will go to europe for medical purposes, renewing passport our business. insha Allah

Lostbox

「Immortal Sage」| Qabil-fluid
VIP
So I just realised i don’t have any personal contact with my family’s relatives in Somalia , it’s the same with the majority of my friends . if my parents were to die today I wouldn’t know how to contact my extended family there . I don’t have their phone numbers etc .

so is this the future of the diaspora 🤷‍♀️

reminds me of how Europeans left for the americas and don’t know their family in Ireland or Italy😭
I spent a year in Somali in 2016 to connect family I still have back home. Plus, to see Somalia for the first time. I was supposed to stay for a month then go Kenya then Egypt to see meet a few other family. End up staying is Somalia for a year then 3 months in Australia and another 3 months America them drove from san Fransisco to Canada Vancouver to with my cousins to meet other family.

Last edited:
Blame your parents. It was their job to foster the connection between you and your family, which is their family. They also should have taken you back home at least once to see them

Some somali parents do nothing for their kids to know their family and their culture and then wonder why they dgaf when they grow up

SOULSEARCHING

Hakuna matata
VIP
I have great uncles and my grandparents siblings some back home , but majority live in the west! But i like to have a connection back home :(

The worst thing that can happen is to lose contact to ones home country and extended family, it's easy to forget or not contact ones family, especially when you somali is not that good or non exciting.

One thing is 100% guaranteed, the heart breaking regret will be devastating when you get old and you feel like you haven't lived because the connection to your identity and culture is gone...

Sol

?
I also thought about this recently what happens to all the people in Somalia after the diaspora become breadwinners for families and they don't get their monthly 100$?

This what keeps me awake at night. Will Somalia develop fast enough before somali diaspora disappear. We only got three generation. so far we are in 1 generation aging replace by 2 generation. The problem is not that you dont have connection, you can just ask your parents somali numbers it can fix the problem. the actual problem is your kids or grandkids will they have connection.
I‘m 25 and I’m the second generation that was born in the west… I don’t have any living relatives in Somalia that I know of or that my mum has contact with

Don't worry, you will probably forget about your distant family but they will not forget you since they need money from you. :mjlaugh:

Honestly, we have to stop thinking that the diaspora will comeback, we are here to stay.
We are just like those europeans or asians who came centuries ago to North America.
Only some will go back to Africa, but most of us will stay.

Keo

VIP
A lot of somalis born and raised in the diaspora can relate. not many of us have deep ties with lots of Somalis or people in Somalia. I know i have relatives in Somalia, but they only talk on the phone with my parents and never really us not sure why tho lol
You've never had conversations through the phone with your relatives in Somalia? That's crazy.

Trending

Latest posts