Olive oil supremacy?

Karaboga

Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep
Results showed that extra-virgin olive oil was the safest and most stable when heated to temperatures even higher than those commonly used for sautéing, deep-frying and baking. It produced the lowest quantity of polar compounds compared to the other oils tested. This debunks the theory that olive oil is less healthy because it has a lower smoke point.

Polar compounds refers to all products present in frying oil due to oxidation processes and include monoglycerides, diglycerides and polymeric triglycerides. They are a reliable benchmark for measuring the degradation of oil.

"The investigators tested the heat stability of 10 of the most commonly used cooking oils in Australia: extra-virgin olive oil, virgin olive oil, refined olive oil, canola, grapeseed, coconut, avocado, peanut, rice bran and sunflower oils. Results showed that extra-virgin olive oil was the safest and most stable when heated to temperatures even higher than those commonly used for sautéing, deep-frying and baking."

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
Wow, man. I came for your Olive oil and triggered a whole thread. Bismillah. I'll reply later.

The Office Lol GIF by NETFLIX

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
Listen, I'm going to be blunt with you here. Plant oils in general are inappropriate for excessive human consumption. If you know much about human physiology and digestion you'd understand that in terms of fat intake we are supposed to be getting mainly saturated fat, then a fair amount of monounsaturated fats and only a little polyunsaturated fatty acids. And, yes, sorry to tell you; overwhelmingly from animals. Not really the exact numbers as I remember them but think of it as like 60-70% the first, 20-30% the second and 5-10% the third.

This, from what I recall, is what you see in the milk of most mammals, including human mother's milk, and when you investigate what the microbes in a herbivorous ruminant's stomach break plant matter down to for the ruminants to digest you also notice that saturated fat is the most dominant, for example:

Humans are effectively carnivores with only some capacity for digesting plants as a supplemental food when meat is scarce and even then most non-fruit plants have to be processed carefully through means like cooking, fermenting and grinding to weed out the toxins in them and for the nutrition in them to even be absorbable through all the antinutrients like oxalates and phytates which hinder the absorption of nutrients like minerals.

View attachment 208079

Observe how similar our digestive tract is to a dog's above compared to real omnivores like pigs and herbivores like sheep above, or even a Lion's below:

View attachment 208080

Relatively short digestive tract, highly acidic stomach that is a poor environment for the wide variety of microbes you need to break down plant matter like in the gut of a ruminant such as a cow and barely any cecum to speak of. We do have amylase in our saliva which helps break down carbs and it maybe small and pathetic but we have some semblance of a cecum and microbe diversity so, like I said, there is some capacity to breakdown plants and use them as a supplement to limp along when meat is scarce, especially with how unique and clever humans are with cooking, powdering, external fermentation and whatnot but, in the end, our guts are clearly designed to mainly digest meat and other similar animal foods and are terrible at fermenting plants which is why most bleeding heart Vegans eventually suffer and quit as explained here.

Here's the thing most people don't know, walaal; no mammal can digest plants. You read that right. No mammal whatsoever can digest them. What these animals do instead is have very long and alkaline digestive tracts like you see above where a huge variety of microbes will thrive and it is these microbes that are capable of breaking down plant matter like cellulose and then the animal like a cow or sheep or gorilla proceeds to digest the microbes and the nutrients they have formed for them and guess what? The nutrient profile of those microbes is incredibly similar to meat. Mostly saturated fat, lots of highly bioavailable protein, vitamins and minerals... basically microbe meat. This is precisely why the milk of other animals is still so nutritionally useful for humans. It is because, basally, we all mostly digest and need the same nutrients; we simply differ in how we get to those nutrients. Some animals load up on grass for 10+ hours then let the microbes make the nutrients for them and some animals just attack another animal and eat it's flesh for a few minutes for those preformed nutrients. Outside of lactose, a carbohydrate that mammals only need for the first few months to years of their life span to help stimulate development at that stage, the nutrient content of most mammals' milk is basally more or less the same with lots of saturated fat, cholesterol, animal hormones and enzymes and highly bioavailable protein, vitamins and minerals. Basically liquid meat. And guess what's missing from milk? Fiber, antinutrients and basically any plant components because not even herbivores physically digest any of that garbage or need it. Don't ever let this plant-based nonsense fool you, walaal. Hilib is where it's at.

And despite @Hargeysa's take, fat soluble vitamins are extremely important (just ask Vegans, rofl) and, frankly, most people arguably aren't getting enough in their daily meals which is partly responsible for common modern issues like malocclusion. The RDIs are mostly based on nothing and most people would benefit from eating way more protein, fats and micronutrients like vitamins and minerals than is in most of the RDIs. So the fact that Olive oil is also mostly bereft of real micronutrition is not helping its case.

But yeah, man... I see no evidence that it's as inflammatory and garbage as seed oils but it's really overblown and actual historic Mediterraneans were in fact more wild about butter and dairy than olive oil, especially in the rural parts:

Anyway, leave it at that. I've said most of what I'd care to say on this subject. Anything more and I'd just advise you to do your own research and, well, eat whatever you want and see where it takes you long-term. I'm really not interested in this "MUH TALIYAANI SALIID!" discourse.

:mjlol:

Karaboga

Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep
Listen, I'm going to be blunt with you here. Plant oils in general are inappropriate for excessive human consumption. If you know much about human physiology and digestion you'd understand that in terms of fat intake we are supposed to be getting mainly saturated fat, then a fair amount of monounsaturated fats and only a little polyunsaturated fatty acids. And, yes, sorry to tell you; overwhelmingly from animals. Not really the exact numbers as I remember them but think of it as like 60-70% the first, 20-30% the second and 5-10% the third.

This, from what I recall, is what you see in the milk of most mammals, including human mother's milk, and when you investigate what the microbes in a herbivorous ruminant's stomach break plant matter down to for the ruminants to digest you also notice that saturated fat is the most dominant, for example:

And despite @Hargeysa's take, fat soluble vitamins are extremely important (just ask Vegans, rofl) and, frankly, most people arguably aren't getting enough in their daily meals which is partly responsible for common modern issues like malocclusion. The RDIs are mostly based on nothing and most people would benefit from eating way more protein, fats and micronutrients like vitamins and minerals than is in most of the RDIs. So the fact that Olive oil is also mostly bereft of real micronutrition is not helping its case.

But yeah, man... I see no evidence that it's as inflammatory and garbage as seed oils but it's really overblown and actual historic Mediterraneans were in fact more wild about butter and dairy than olive oil, especially in the rural parts:

Anyway, leave it at that. I've said most of what I'd care to say on this subject. Anything more and I'd just advise you to do your own research and, well, eat whatever you want and see where it takes you long-term. I'm really not interested in this "MUH TALIYAANI SALIID!" discourse.

I appreciate the informative reply walaal.
Do you follow a keto or paleo diet?

Periplus

Minister of Propaganda
VIP
I don’t care about science mumbo jumbo, that’s why I stay away from the we wuz 23andme threads. The social sciences is more my lane.

But olive oil is number 1.

There was a misunderstanding earlier bro, I do think vitamins are important, but we can easily get fat soluble vitamins from sources such as dairy, meat, eggs, and nuts.

According to the CDC, only 10% of Americans have a vitamin deficiency. Vitamin D is the biggest issue for this - especially for black people in the west.

The best argument for Olive oil over butter is the fact unsaturated fats are linked to lowering LDL cholesterol. I know you disagree with this, but all the papers I've read suggest that replacing saturated fats w/ unsaturated fats is beneficial for heart disease. (source).

Interestingly, the same paper says replacing sat fats w/ refined carbs either didn't help, or made cardiovascular disease worse.

Send me links that suggest saturated fats are better than unsaturated for cardiovascular disease. The links and papers I've found have the same recommendation (replace sat fats w/ unsaturated for heart health).

Also, Human breast milk fatty acid composition varies, but its composition is mostly unsaturated fats. (source).

Last edited:
I don’t care about science mumbo jumbo, that’s why I stay away from the we wuz 23andme threads. The social sciences is more my lane.

But olive oil is number 1.
I'm the opposite, I prefer the natural sciences over the social sciences.

Idk much about the 23andMe stuff either. Also, I don't wanna give a private American company my DNA data either.

Different oils for different dishes, I say.

Last edited:

Trending

Latest posts