No somali should ever call themselves “black”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gadiid

So much depends upon a red wheel barrow.
I honestly have to wonder why should we even care about this?
It's such a non-issue, wallahi.
We already know we're Somali primarily.
We already know that people are classified in colour,ethnicity and their place of origin.
You tick a box as a Black African in the U.K, or are there honestly folks who'd tick "Other" just because?

So what's the beef sxb? Really, why is this particular topic such a stickler for us Somalis?

Walahi I tried this talk with a police officer, I'm not black, how do I fit the description?

mostly definitely felt like a black man on that day, treated like one too:siilaanyolaugh:

I already gave you an answer. If your people are from subsaharan Africa, you're black. The Khoi and San who are much lighter than Somalis on average and are considered black. You could label yourself whatever you want but society knows what you are and you can't change that.

5Yp2m5J.png

So far I’m not getting any real answers as to how the black label makes sense :hillarybiz:

samaalewarrior

Cushitic general
I honestly have to wonder why should we even care about this?
It's such a non-issue, wallahi.
We already know we're Somali primarily.
We already know that people are classified in colour,ethnicity and their place of origin.
You tick a box as a Black African in the U.K, or are there honestly folks who'd tick "Other" just because?

So what's the beef sxb? Really, why is this particular topic such a stickler for us Somalis?
sxb there is no beef, this isn’t another “somalis aren’t black because we aren’t bantus etc” type of thread, this thread is critiquing the “black” label as a whole and how it doesn’t make any sense, I have no issue with other african people, I would criticize the label even if I was from the Congo

:cosbyhmm:Ok. I will try to explain things differently.

Subsaharan Africans have always been called black. Sudan and Ethiopia both mean black skinned.
Black isn't offensive, it's how we describe ourselves.
sxb there is no beef, this isn’t another “somalis aren’t black because we aren’t bantus etc” type of thread, this thread is critiquing the “black” label as a whole and how it doesn’t make any sense, I have no issue with other african people, I would criticize the label even if I was from the Congo

Gadiid

So much depends upon a red wheel barrow.

On that we agree, in an ideal world we'd be primarily labelled through our ethnicity, not colour.
The colour labels are objectively nonsense, as you said a Tamil Indian or an Aborigine wouldn't be labelled "black". Nor the palest Korean wouldn't be "white", but "yellow" for whatever reason.
It's archaic and should be done away with.
Forgive my tone, sxb. It's just I've had this conversation one too many times.
:yacadiim:

samaalewarrior

Cushitic general
I already gave you an answer. If your people are from subsaharan Africa, you're black. The Khoi and San who are much lighter than Somalis on average are considered black. You could label yourself whatever you want but society knows what you are and you can't change that.

5Yp2m5J.png
Let me ask you this, if I was from the congo, with dark skin, a wide nose, big lips and corse hair, why should I call myself black? What do all those physical features have to do with the color black
:cosbyhmm:Ok. I will try to explain things differently.

Subsaharan Africans have always been called black. Sudan and Ethiopia both mean black skinned.
Black isn't offensive, it's how we describe ourselves.
if we’re going by skin color then why aren’t dark indians ever referred to as black?

Indians aren't from Africa and they were called black in the past by the Greeks. We don't put them under the umbrella of black because they are one the most racist people on earth. They randomly kill African university students in groups.
Let me ask you this, if I was from the congo, with dark skin, a wide nose, big lips and corse hair, why should I call myself black? What do all those physical features have to do with the color black

if we’re going by skin color then why aren’t dark indians ever referred to as black?

:vqbuyv0::vqbuyv0::vqbuyv0:NEVER
@Disappointed Our black brothers from Sri Lanka :dabcasar:
6310766151_55b580bdcb_o.jpg

Indians aren't from Africa and they were called black in the past by the Greeks. We don't put them under the umbrella of black because they are one the most racist people on earth. They randomly kill African university students in groups.

My nigga are you calling yousrself black because of color or because you're african?

samaalewarrior

Cushitic general

so to be black means to be african? what’s black about africans

lalayariis

Bad cop
I remember this day in the fifth grade clearly, me and 4 other people were put in groups. This one black kid said in an upset tone, “I’m the only black kid in this group.” I replied back sure of myself and confused, “I’m black too.”

He then said, “Nah, that’s different. You’re not black.”

:gucciwhat:

From that day on I just called myself Somali like I always had before and checked only the census for black to get them benefits.

NotAjnabi

Somalilander
Walahi I tried this talk with a police officer, I'm not black, how do I fit the description?

mostly definitely felt like a black man on that day, treated like one too:siilaanyolaugh:
We're not all americans, so shoo shoo. I am somali alx.

It’s always Europeans who struggle with this I notice. It’s not that deep in the U.S cause our forms we tick off Black (AA or part of Diapsora)

I’m not in rage when someone refers to be as Black. If I want to be specific then I say I’m Somali American.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts