Next Industrial Revolution: Can Somalia be a part of it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're talking about those inefficient steam engines they made back then. America, is bogged down and still stuck in the previous industries. They have an ineffiecient congress that works for the interest of corporations. Many countries were nothing 40 years ago, and are big players today.

Tell me 10 years ago, who would've thought a country like Somalia would become a cashless society before the US. Today Somalis are paying for goods and services all with their mobile phones. People in small towns in Somalia have access to basic internet for just $5 a month. 6 of the fastest growing economies are located in Africa. Tell me what the Gulf Arab countries looked like just 50 years ago, all desert and barely any development. I'm not saying, we'll turn around and change completely in 20 years but I can see modest development into this in the next 50 years if we get things right.

The next 20 years, we'll be fixing up gov't institutions and developing basic infrastructure as we've been doing.

Brother i'm talking about the reality on the ground, i know people who have studied hard in electrical engineering, got their masters saved up a good amount of money went back to the motherland, most failed in their projects, i know of one guy who went back and spend close to 1.5 million dollars on generators and street lighting ie lamp posts so that people don't walk in the darkness, what do the locals do every week for close to 5 months they slice cut the cables, so the said person got fed up and was like fine you want to walk in the dark no problem, took all of the generators to Bosasso and sold them of.

People back home are ignorant, before all is said and done we need to build schools and universities and i'm not talking about schools and universities which restrict one form of academic subject because of dogma or ideology etc, we need a free flowing educational system where no subject is a taboo everything needs to be taught, then and only then will we go forward.

You are talking about the internet of things, Quantum computing etc, and our people are starving for waaq sakes, we haven't even had our agriculture revolution of our own, all i am saying is we need to build the foundations 1st i'm a dreamer we can all dream it's nice, but we have to be realistic! my friend.

Suárez

Every man is a Shepard to his people.
I understand what you mean about the oil, those that argue that Somalia's resources will lift us out of poverty, it's too simplistic.

I can see the world, slowly losing demand for oil but we still have another 40 years before demand drops too low.

We do have a lot of natural gas, uranium, tin, and gold though, but I don't like thinking of them as our jackpot. I see them more as a supplement to developing Somalia's infrastructure and transforming our economy.
What made these developed countries better is
-Stealing resources by colonistation
-Controlling major economies like Britian colonised India because India was the largest economy at its time.
-Simpliy had good trades

The Gobolnimo dust needs to settle before Somalia can move forward as one nation.

In the back drop expect to see many disturbing technologies and Industry trends to be adopted in Somalia.

The Ciyaal Kacaan use 1980s business models that don’t work in this day in age.

Somalia loves disruptive business models; it makes the customer experience so much better.

My Motto is: If it’s feared in the west it’s best for the Somalia.

Brother i'm talking about the reality on the ground, i know people who have studied hard in electrical engineering, got their masters saved up a good amount of money went back to the motherland, most failed in their projects, i know of one guy who went back and spend close to 1.5 million dollars on generators and street lighting ie lamp posts so that people don't walk in the darkness, what do the locals do every week for close to 5 months they slice cut the cables, so the said person got fed up and was like fine you want to walk in the dark no problem, took all of the generators to Bosasso and sold them of.

People back home are ignorant, before all is said and done we need to build schools and universities and i'm not talking about schools and universities which restrict one form of academic subject because of dogma or ideology etc, we need a free flowing educational system where no subject is a taboo everything needs to be taught, then and only then will we go forward.

You are talking about the internet of things, Quantum computing etc, and our people are starving for waaq sakes, we haven't even had our agriculture revolution of our own, all i am saying is we need to build the foundations 1st i'm a dreamer we can all dream it's nice, but we have to be realistic! my friend.

:faysalwtf: cutting cable wires?

I understand, we still have a long way to go :farmajoyaab:

Just wanted to share the interesting documentary I found but it seems no one has watched it:noneck:

Education is of course needed before anything else, but just wanted to show the possibilities of the future and what's currently happening in the world with cheap electricity, IoT etc. as shown in the docs.

I didn't talk about quantum computing, more IoT. In the doc he says as the prices of IoT sensors drop we can expect to have billions of connected devices. If implemented it could help boost agricultural output of Somalia and Africa.

It's good to discuss developments that are happening around the world, even though you know it won't be possible in Somalia for many years but at least we can discuss and maybe spark some interest/ideas among the young of SSpot.

RasCanjero-

Self imposed exile

The only option available is to ignore Somalia and stay in the West or try another way to lead Somalia to first world standards.

Social mobility is the key here and you don't need to focus your efforts on 90% of the population.

Just train and educate a capable minority and keep the riffraffs out for now.:browtf:

That's how Britain developed hundred miles long canals, railways and even power stations in the 19 century.

Most of their population lived in squalor while a small minority lived segregated in comfort.

Once the rest see this they'll get their shit together and follow whatever rules the civilised world puts together.

Elitist view yes but that's how the first world developed.

We don't need tens of thousands of schools, thousands of kilometers of roads and transmission lines... Just enough to power an economy for 100k.

Just 1% of our population could generate a 10 billion dollar economy with automation and minimal infrastructure.

They'll will act as the foundation for the rest of the country once they're interested in joining them.:francis:

AdoonkaAlle

Ragna qowl baa xira, dumarna meher baa xira.
Sxb did we watch the same video ? beyond that industrial positivism, the speaker was pushing forth the same narrative of westerners in trying to "save" 3rd world women from the brutal patriarchal societies in which they live in. He had the audacity to equate women's freedom to electricity, kulaha women were slaves before the advent of electricity.

Wale ninki nool baa wax arkay !!!
:farmajoyaab:

AdoonkaAlle

Very well put and inquisitive!

I agree with everything you said, except IP laws.

Intellectual property laws are failing at the moment, it's stifling growth and development in the west.

Companies are buying up all these patents they don't even need as an arsenal to use when they get sued. They're spending millions on buying useless patents when they could be using that for more productive things. At the end of it all, the idea gets copied and its being made in factories all over China.

The inventor of hoverboards made a kickstarter and described his invention in a video. By the time he finished developing and brought it to the market, there were already hundreds of copycats of his invention on the market.

With the sharing economy, much of everything is open sourced. It's already happening with some of the tech giants like Microsoft and with cities in China like Shenzhen. Shenzhen is now known as the Silicon Valley of Hardware and one of the best places to start a startup.

Check out this doc on Shenzhen.

We now can copy open source code , improve on them, trade our creativity and make new exciting things. We can 3D print all types of free shared blueprints and make life better for all.

I concur sxb this is what needs to happen. The chinese are bypassing cadanka and are creating new routes for themselves to gain technological advancements, this is why cadanka are afraid of specific technological transfer with the chinese esp in military hardware.

You learn things by doing it yourself & i do believe different cultures have their own ways of going about it and adapting it to their society. Simply imitating others & hoping to achieve the same results isn't going to work, you need to model experiences & knowledge gained to what suits you best & improve from there.

Sxb did we watch the same video ? beyond that industrial positivism, the speaker was pushing forth the same narrative of westerners in trying to "save" 3rd world women from the brutal patriarchal societies in which they live in. He had the audacity to equate women's freedom to electricity, kulaha women were slaves before the advent of electricity.

Wale ninki nool baa wax arkay !!!
:farmajoyaab:
I don't agree with everything he said, he didn't bring it up until the very end so it seems to be lip service to pander to his liberal audience but at the 30min mark to 1hr:20, he talks about alot of different developments going on in Europe and China as well as the potential for renewables, transportation and IoT.

AdoonkaAlle

I don't agree with everything he said, he didn't bring it up until the very end so it seems to be lip service to pander to his liberal audience but at the 30min mark to 1hr:20, he talks about alot of different developments going on in Europe and China as well as the potential for renewables, transportation and IoT.

I know sxb i didn't watch the entire video just a glimpse here & there, take what's beneficial and leave the rest laakin dadka anaga madaxda noo ah waa kuwa maskaxda laga gumaystay. This is our biggest downfall.

Thegoodshepherd

Galkacyo iyo Calula dhexdood
VIP
The only option available is to ignore Somalia and stay in the West or try another way to lead Somalia to first world standards.

Social mobility is the key here and you don't need to focus your efforts on 90% of the population.

Just train and educate a capable minority and keep the riffraffs out for now.:browtf:

That's how Britain developed hundred miles long canals, railways and even power stations in the 19 century.

Most of their population lived in squalor while a small minority lived segregated in comfort.

Once the rest see this they'll get their shit together and follow whatever rules the civilised world puts together.

Elitist view yes but that's how the first world developed.

We don't need tens of thousands of schools, thousands of kilometers of roads and transmission lines... Just enough to power an economy for 100k.

Just 1% of our population could generate a 10 billion dollar economy with automation and minimal infrastructure.

They'll will act as the foundation for the rest of the country once they're interested in joining them.:francis:

This is pretty much the truth. Somalis need an economic elite that is able to act as the vanguard of modernization. We simply do not have the resources to lift the entire population out of poverty. We should not shy away from picking winners and losers. Creating an economic elite will also create demand for a better justice system, education system etc... Eventually benefitting even the poor. We need a government(s) that caters to capital owners and is interested only in yearly gdp growth rates.

RasCanjero-

Self imposed exile
This is pretty much the truth. Somalis need an economic elite that is able to act as the vanguard of modernization. We simply do not have the resources to lift the entire population out of poverty. We should not shy away from picking winners and losers. Creating an economic elite will also create demand for a better justice system, education system etc... Eventually benefitting even the poor. We need a government(s) that caters to capital owners and is interested only in yearly gdp growth rates.

It only needs one of the current warlords in charge to see this truth and let entrepreneurs set shop in their region.

Unfortunately all of them are too insecure to allow anything that could possibly threaten them to operate freely.

Even more secure places like Somaliland and Djibouti would prefer to put obstacles in front of startups instead of encouraging them.

Dude, Somalia already went through the 3rd industrial revolution. Somalia is currently in the 4.5 industrial revolution (aka 4.5 clan system).

Ydp5V.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending