New documentary by a Somali-Canadian filmmaker examines what it means to be black in Canada. (Video)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duchess

HRH Duchess of Puntland, The Viscount of Garoowe
VIP
samah-ali.jpg

A new documentary by a 22-year-old Toronto filmmaker is analyzing what is means to be an immigrant in Canada.

Directed and produced by Samah Ali, Hyphen-Nation features a 14-minute conversation between five women of colour that is inspired by her own cultural experience.

The women discuss how their cultural heritage influences their identities as Canadians and immigrants.

"The whole conversation is what's your hyphen?" explained Ali, calling her debut film a "nuanced" discussion about what black Canadian identities look like.

"And that's what opens it up to so many people to identify with because whether it's themselves or their family members who have an immigration story, everybody typically has a hyphen."

The women are asked if they identify with being black Canadians.

Ali explains this is both liberating and tragic. She identifies as a Kenyan-Somali woman, along with a Muslim woman and a black woman.

"I don't know if I identify strongly as a Canadian, but definitely when I leave Canada I identify as a Canadian," she said despite being born and raised in Toronto.

"The other parts of my identity, the ones that are more visible, the ones that I practice everyday are definitely the ones that are on the forefront of my mind. Compared to my Canadianness, it's something that I'm not really aware of until I have my passport and I'm travelling to other countries."

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/toronto/hyphen-nation-samah-ali-1.4402860

Full documentary below:

Duchess

VIP
I'll admit that I was approached on Twitter to post this thread. It was a paid advertisement. :manny:

Duchess

VIP
George Soros project, he did a similar thing with the whole being Muslim while black crap a while ago, he also funds black lives matter. Typical Crypto Jew causing dissension on behalf of the house of Rothschild.

When you have funds like they do, 99% of the people on this world are ready to prostitute for you in whatever shape or form you want, these types of people sometimes even surprise these old man in terms of the speed at which they move in servile servitude completing tasks ahead of schedule. Qashin Foqol Qashin.

So a poorly made documentary by a 22 year old resident of the biggest ghetto in Canada that is premiering at a community film festival is funded by a billionaire? :comeon:

Can you ever participate in a topic without coming off as a creepy conspiracy nut?:jaynerd:

VixR

Veritas
It's pretty redundant throughout. Basically, the underlining message is, 'I'm from a different background than most people here'.

Are they bemoaning being a minority?

George Soros project, he did a similar thing with the whole being Muslim while black crap a while ago, he also funds black lives matter. Typical Crypto Jew causing dissension on behalf of the house of Rothschild.

When you have funds like they do, 99% of the people on this world are ready to prostitute for you in whatever shape or form you want, these types of people sometimes even surprise these old man in terms of the speed at which they move in servile servitude completing tasks ahead of schedule. Qashin Foqol Qashin.

I have really had it with them with their identity politics bullshit.

Its not only with race and Blackness but also the 99 gender crowd. I have to refer to my colleague as some weird made up gender. Im sick and tired.

VixR

Veritas

Its not only with race and Blackness but also the 99 gender crowd. I have to refer to my colleague as some weird made up gender. Im sick and tired.
:drakelaugh:
What do you have to refer to it as?

So a poorly made documentary by a 22 year old resident of the biggest ghetto in Canada that is premiering at a community film festival is funded by a billionaire? :comeon:

Can you ever participate in a topic without coming off as a creepy conspiracy nut?:jaynerd:

Most organizations get Soros' funding indirectly. Large organizations that get Open Society Foundation grants fund smaller organizations and independent projects like they are subcontractors in a home build.

I know one Somali community organization that indirectly gets Soros funding.

Duchess

VIP

The hijabi in the documentary said she identified as black Somali-Canadian cis hetero woman. :lolbron:

Gambar

VIP
It's pretty redundant throughout. Basically, the underlining message is, 'I'm from a different background than most people here'.

Are they bemoaning being a minority?

It's all they know. At what point do you stop talking about this stuff, and start talking about original, creative things? Make a screenplay on aliens and shidh, I don't know.

Duchess

VIP
Most organizations get Soros' funding indirectly. Large organizations that get Open Society Foundation grants fund smaller organizations and independent projects like they are subcontractors in a home build.

I know one Somali community organization that indirectly gets Soros funding.

Open Society may fund an organization through a particular project or intitiave, but it's illegal for said organization to then use those funds they were allocated to fund other organizations.

Open Society may fund an organization through a particular project or intitiave, but it's illegal for said organization to then use those funds they were allocated to fund other organizations.

Oh it's done whether it's illegal or not lol. That organization doesn't just fund anyone and everything. Funding falls into very specific random categories like fighting AIDS in the Inuit community and then that funding ends up in other random causes.

Duchess

VIP
Why can't she get rid of the cis and just go by heterosexual? Why does she even need to tell us she's heterosexual?

How dare you assume that gender is binary! How do you know Anisa's gender identity corresponds to the gender she was attributed at birth? She had no choice over being born a female. She now has agency and the freedom to decide what gender she wants to identify as.

:mjkkk:

Duchess

VIP
Oh it's done whether it's illegal or not lol. That organization doesn't just fund anyone and everything. Funding falls into very specific random categories like fighting AIDS in the Inuit community and then that funding ends up in other random causes.

Do you really believe this poorly produced 11 minute documentary was funded by Soros? It's more likely the filmmaker used her OSAP loan to self fund this project by purchasing a decent camera and editing software.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending