MOTIVATION, RICH neighborhoods in Nairobi( READ)

This is where the richest who reside in Kenya. There a lot of Somalis here.
Historically, Most rich people in Kenya were the British, Indians and a few politicians even after independence from the British. Places like Westlands we’re literally nicknamed “Uhindini” meaning Indian neighborhood
It was only after Somalis came in to business in Kenya that’s when the black Kenyans had a piece of their economy, Somalis entrepreneurship skills helped the black Kenyans to have a piece of their economy.Till today Somalis influence on Kenyan economy can not be understated .
Below are neighborhoods where the richest people who live in Kenya reside,There many Somalis here.

Real estate prices in Nairobi is prohibitively expensive. Nowadays you can't get a house in the rich suburbs for anything less than one million dollars. In suburbs like Runda it's two million dollars or more. That's more expensive than many cities here in the United States.

The folks who live in those ultra rich neighborhoods in Nairobi mostly fall under the following categories:
Expats - Nairobi is the regional headquarters of some of the biggest US/UK/African companies. Most big companies operating in subsaharan Africa have their headquarters in Kenya. There is also the recent influx of Chinese construction companies. All these expats and engineers mostly live in Nairobi
Diplomats-Nairobi is home to the third biggest UN Office complex after New York & Geneva.
Wealthy politicians- career politicians mostly from political dynasty families that have been in govt since independence.The likes of the Moi's, Kenyatta's, Odingas' and many others.
Tenderpreneurs -dodgy businessmen operating briefcase companies. They have amassed wealth via big govt contracts.
Entrepreneurs- These are folks who have made mostly genuine wealth from their businesses. They have built their businesses from humble beginnings to become big regional companies. They are the guys you will see being featured in Forbes and other business magazines.

An ordinary person cannot afford to live in the rich suburbs of Nairobi. Nairobi has been voted as the best business investment destination in Africa. This is for a reason, every foreign business with money to invest in Africa wants to set base in there. This is what has contributed to make Nairobi's real estate market to be very expensive.

Last edited:
Real estate prices in Nairobi is prohibitively expensive. Nowadays you can't get a house in the rich suburbs for anything less than one million dollars. In suburbs like Runda it's two million dollars or more. That's more expensive than many cities here in the United States.

The folks who live in those ultra rich neighborhoods in Nairobi mostly fall under the following categories:
Expats - Nairobi is the regional headquarters of some of the biggest US/UK/African companies. Most big companies operating in subsaharan Africa have their headquarters in Kenya. There is also the recent influx of Chinese construction companies. All these expats and engineers mostly live in Nairobi
Diplomats-Nairobi is home to the third biggest UN Office complex after New York & Geneva.
Wealthy politicians- career politicians mostly from political dynasty families that have been in govt since independence.The likes of the Moi's, Kenyatta's, Odingas' and many others.
Tenderpreneurs -dodgy businessmen operating briefcase companies. They have amassed wealth via big govt contracts.
Entrepreneurs- These are folks who have made mostly genuine wealth from their businesses. They have built their businesses from humble beginnings to become big regional companies. They are the guys you will see being featured in Forbes and other business magazines.

An ordinary person cannot afford to live in the rich suburbs of Nairobi. Nairobi has been voted as the best business investment destination in Africa. This is for a reason, every foreign business with money to invest in Africa wants to set base in there. This is what has contributed to make Nairobi's real estate market to be very expensive.
Thank you for the further clarification, your right these areas are prohibitively expensive ordinary folks can’t afford these prices.

Basra

LOVE is a product of Doqoniimo mixed with lust
Let Them Eat Cake
VIP
So whats the point? If Houses are as expensive as it is here in the United States- What motives do someone have to buy a house in Nairobi? It sounds more like China to me. They have thousand of high end real estates but Chinese can't afford it! Greed cannot keep up with reality

Amazonian

Cirka Gacan Saarte 💪🏾🇸🇴
Somalis are making lots of money off of real estate there, including my cousin :umad:

Theres money to be made. I actually ended up buying land in Xamar. I'm keeping all my receipts cause a few years from now i know its gonna be worth a whole lot more.

So whats the point? If Houses are as expensive as it is here in the United States- What motives do someone have to buy a house in Nairobi? It sounds more like China to me. They have thousand of high end real estates but Chinese can't afford it! Greed cannot keep up with reality
If you are rich enough you will live like royalty in African cities. Tell your Kenyan husband to buy you one of these cribs in Nairobi. These particular houses are selling at 1 million dollars only. :trumpsmirk:

Last edited:

Basra

Let Them Eat Cake
VIP
If

If you are rich enough you will live like royalty in African cities. Tell your Kenyan husband to buy you one of these cribs in Nairobi. These particular houses are selling at 1 million dollars only. :trumpsmirk:

1 $ Million for a house in Third world country???????? My husband is not dumb

Basra

Let Them Eat Cake
VIP
Are Somalis the White people of Kenya?

It's beautiful, I really love Nairobi (it's also great for business) but I feel bad for the locals. In Khartoum the European and Asian expats all live in mediocre apartments. The wealthiest neighborhoods like Kafouri are 100% Sudanese. Even the wealthy Arab immigrants that want to build mansions are only sold land in working class areas like Gabra.

It's beautiful, I really love Nairobi (it's also great for business) but I feel bad for the locals. In Khartoum the European and Asian expats all live in mediocre apartments. The wealthiest neighborhoods like Kafouri are 100% Sudanese. Even the wealthy Arab immigrants that want to build mansions are only sold land in working class areas like Gabra.
Diffèrent economic models, Countries like Ethiopia and Tanzania have tight laws to ensure locals are prioritized so a huge chunk of their economy is owned by the locals. I assume Sudan is the same. On the other side Kenya has good policies on foreign investment however this has resulted to a large part of the economy being owned by foreigners. Each policy has its own advantages and disadvantages for example Kenya is given some kind of favor in accessing lucrative markets in Europe, countries like Ethiopia or Tanzania don’t have that kind of favor. This is just one example.

Last edited:
Diffèrent economic models, Countries like Ethiopia and Tanzania have tight laws to ensure locals are prioritized so a huge chunk of their economy is owned by the locals. I assume Sudan is the same. On the other side Kenya has good policies on foreign investment however this has resulted to a large part of the economy being owned by foreigners. Each policy has its own advantages and disadvantages for example Kenya is given some kind of favor in accessing lucrative markets in Europe, countries like Ethiopia or Tanzania don’t have that kind of favor. This is just one example.
That's true but it's worth noting that Addis Ababa doesn't have historically "wealthy" neighborhoods. It's an unplanned city, so the closest you'll get to a prestigious neighborhood is a new gated community. The rich there just build a mansion in a random neighborhoods - even Bole, the richest area has so many low-class buildings in it. Another key difference between Nairobi and Khartoum is that the British planned Nairobi like a new world city (American, Australian, etc) while Khartoum was planned to be like a European city, which is why the upper-middle class neighborhoods are full of apartments and 4+ story multi-family villas.

That's true but it's worth noting that Addis Ababa doesn't have historically "wealthy" neighborhoods. It's an unplanned city, so the closest you'll get to a prestigious neighborhood is a new gated community. The rich there just build a mansion in a random neighborhoods - even Bole, the richest area has so many low-class buildings in it. Another key difference between Nairobi and Khartoum is that the British planned Nairobi like a new world city (American, Australian, etc) while Khartoum was planned to be like a European city, which is why the upper-middle class neighborhoods are full of apartments and 4+ story multi-family villas.
Thank you for the info, what bout inequality in Sudan ??. Is it as bad as in Kenya ???

Thank you for the info, what bout inequality in Sudan ??. Is it as bad as in Kenya ???
No problem, and yeah honestly it's just as bad as Kenya maybe even worse because populations from the western and southern regions are treated like servants and laborers with no rights. However it's slowly improving with the new government.

Trending