Modern University Educated Xalimos In a Nutchell......

Apollo

VIP
I went to a top university in Australia and the cut off for international relations or poli sci was higher than Engineering, Computer Science and Bachelor of Science.

The problem is, that one uni has very high entry standards for those subjects, but then there's a nearby lower ranked uni that has the same programme with lower entry standards. This still results in an excess of graduates in softer fields.

You guys need to elect AOC man. She will fix up the economy to make it more equitable for the working person.

Australia is expensive but you also earn a lot here. Life is good, jobs are plenty and life is somewhat fair here. Anyone can become middle class if they put in the effort.

Kangaroos and snakes aren’t that common as you would think tho.
Yeah, AOC for press but she has to be 35 I think she will run after the next general election. You get paid more and half of your wage would go to rent and taxes . I live in Texas and work for a company based in California , Cali is expensive but jobs pay more. If I was living in Cali I wouldn’t be able to purchase a home. The rent alone for one bedroom in decent neighborhood is $2500 and that is small room with no washer/dryer and no parking. Whereas in Texas I can rent a 2021 huge luxury apartment with swimming pool, free car wash, huge parking lot, built in home office and top notch amenities for just $1500.

There is this subculture with diaspora Somalis that only university graduates deserve respect. Most migrant groups tend to have this attitude (although not all, like Eastern Europeans who respect trades, and some New World Black subgroups who don't value education much).

There needs to be a healthy balance. As a refugee group at the bottom ranks of society it is kind of weird to have this attitude. With trades you can still live a middle class lifestyle.

That is because degrees allows working class people to get into the 'middle classes'. Trade has always been a working class pursuit, so there is a bit of classism at work here. Also, many of our parents dreams of attending university was cut short due to the war, so a lot of us were raised to value it because now, unlike our parents, we finally have the opportunity to.

Also, i'd 100% encourage my children to get a stem degree, but if that is not possible, I'd still encourage them to even get a humanities degree, just so that they have something under their belt. I've seen personally how a degree of some sort has allowed me certain opportunities such as working abroad and taking advantage of other job markets which isn't something people with no degrees can do.

TekNiKo

“I am an empathic and emotionally-aware person.
VIP
I went to a top university in Australia and the cut off for international relations or poli sci was higher than Engineering, Computer Science and Bachelor of Science.

As usual Teknigis doesn’t know what he’s chatting about. He’s a conservative bootyclapping for trade unions.
Seems like your personally butthurt, yes many idiots get into PoliSci here. It requires a 69 average a C+ I dont know about Australia :hemad:

Ima need my sisters to stop majoring in useless shit. University is a waste if you don’t major in something with high ROI. Cause yea you’ll have a degree but you’ll also be 40k in debt with no job

Alx I chose nursing and now I make around 70k right out the gate. My hooyo would have laughed at me if I chose to major in psych or humanities and I’m thankful that she didn’t want me to settle for less. Bc it’s all about what gets you good money and a stable job

Marshall D Abdi

Know you’re place peasant
That is because degrees allows working class people to get into the 'middle classes'. Trade has always been a working class pursuit, so there is a bit of classism at work here. Also, many of our parents dreams of attending university was cut short due to the war, so a lot of us were raised to value it because now, unlike our parents, we finally have the opportunity to.

Also, i'd 100% encourage my children to get a stem degree, but if that is not possible, I'd still encourage them to even get a humanities degree, just so that they have something under their belt. I've seen personally how a degree of some sort has allowed me certain opportunities such as working abroad and taking advantage of other job markets which isn't something people with no degrees can do.
Im intrested what did you major that made you work abroad langauge?

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
Ima need my sisters to stop majoring in useless shit. University is a waste if you don’t major in something with high ROI. Cause yea you’ll have a degree but you’ll also be 40k in debt with no job

Alx I chose nursing and now I make 70k right out the gate. My hooyo would have laughed at me if I chose to major in psych or humanities. It’s all about what gets you good money and a job idc idc.

Why do you care about money?

It’s a learning experience. People should choose a degree that they want to learn not about money.

Here is the truth: If you do well enough in any degree, you can get a well paying job.

If you chase ROI, you’re gonna be unhappy learning something you dislike.

Marshall D Abdi

Know you’re place peasant

It’s a learning experience. People should choose a degree that they want to learn not about money.

Here is the truth: If you do well enough in any degree, you can get a well paying job.

But the world is harsh sometimes following ur heart is not enough i know many blokes who wanted to follow their heart majoring in art for instance or some other thing, but had to follow their mind and choose STEM field even if they disliked doing it

in somali community we believe ur doomed to fail, if ur not majoring in STEM, you can forget abour other things

Sorry but money is important. I don’t struggle to pay for my bills and it brings so much peace of mind.

I have a friend who majored in English, hardest working person I know, she networked and did everything right but she can barely get a call back and now writes articles sporadically for pennies. She’s so unhappy even though she majored in something she liked because she can’t find actual employment.

Most people don’t end up in careers they love. Nursing is not my dream job, honestly I don’t have a dream job I’d rather not be working. But I use the money I make to do what I really want (travel, etc)

Ima need my sisters to stop majoring in useless shit. University is a waste if you don’t major in something with high ROI. Cause yea you’ll have a degree but you’ll also 40k in debt with no job

Alx I chose nursing and now I make 70k right out the gate

Lol, I lot of Somali girls in the UK study nursing and midwifery which are jobs that are really needed here and back home, yet Abdis still mock them.

Sorry but money is important. I don’t struggle to pay for my bills and it brings so much peace of mind.

I have a friend who majored in English, hardest working person I know, she networked and did everything right but she can barely get a call back and now writes articles sporadically for pennies. She’s so unhappy even though she majored in something she liked because she can’t find actual employment.

Most people don’t end up in careers they love. Nursing is not my dream job, honestly I don’t have a dream job I’d rather not be working. But I use the money I make to do what I really want (travel, etc)

Lol, she can easily go into teaching, curriculums, publishing ect. I'm sorry but no, she has a lot of opportunities. She can work in the Middle East and earn 2x the amount you earn tax free. The problem is people don't do enough research and believe that upon graduation a job is going to fall from the sky.

Lol, she can easily go into teaching, curriculums, publishing ect. I'm sorry but no, she has a lot of opportunities. She can work in the Middle East and earn 2x the amount you earn tax free. The problem is people don't do enough research and believe that upon graduation a job is going to fall from the sky.
It might be different in the UK but from what I’ve seen a lot of people don’t really find much opportunity with humanities degrees even when they look everywhere. There’s too many people graduating with those degrees and not enough jobs. Almost all of them go for a masters (going more in debt) then they can find something, maybe

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP

If you get good grades, you’ll get a job with any degree.

Most companies don’t care about what you studied. That’s because the company gives you complimentary training regardless.

All they care about is a decent CV and good grades. If you don’t have that then idk what to say.

Who cares what abdis think? My income speaks for itself

That was my whole point sis. They mock anything Somali girls do, especially when it comes to self improvement. I think Somali girls getting into nursing and midwifery is amazing. Great income and a valuable job needed everywhere.

Wallahi these Halimos are the worst, wtf is Comparative Literature Degree gonna get you? Barista at Starbucks? Then they brag they are “educated”

Michael Jordan Reaction GIF
What's wrong with a humanities degree? Comparative literature actually sounds like a demanding degree.

Besides, she went to a Russell group uni (UK equivalent of ivy league), so she's academically talented. She probably got better grades than you.

Chicago Bulls What GIF by NBA

Last edited:
Wallahi, I was just thinking about what you’re saying regarding the entry standards.

As for the trades. A degree is to get educated not to find a job per se. People should stop attaching their career or monetary aspirations to degrees.

University is about becoming more educated and smarter, learning more about a field you are interested in.

Many people who finished degrees but do something completely different still hold their learning experience in uni in good regard.
No they dont....they become angry they wasted their time on a useless degree. What they hold dear is life during their time in uni, like the friends they made and the life experience. And no one enters University choosing a degree and say I wont work in this field, but I am interested in this degree to get more knowledge in this subject.

digaagjecel

SSpots starting point guard

People would rather study something they hate for money and be miserable every time they wake up for work. Same way my dad would try to force my brother to get into aerospace and aviation knowing damn well my brother hates math more than anything.

Trending