Mental illness in the Somali community

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is there such a HUGE stigma? Why are mentally ill Somalis chained up? It just boils my blood. You can recover from mental illness with the right treatment. In the UK there is a parity of esteem between mental and physical health. But in Somalia there's little to no treatment and sufferers are treated poorly. I've even seen Somalis using mental illness as an insult.

DuctTape

I have an IQ of 300
I've even seen Somalis using mental illness as an insult.
That isn't exclusive to Somalis, mate.
But your point still stands. There really is a massive stigma against mental illness in the Somali community. Saying it's a shame would be an understatement.
I remember reading about a mentally ill man in Hargeisa that was chained up for over a decade (I'm reasonably sure he's still chained up) and that got my blood boiling too. It's infuriating how uninformed and negligent Somalis can be about their own people.

Gibiin-Udug

Crowned Queen of Puntland. Supporter of PuntExit
I heard they throw stones and chase the mentally ill people in Somalia. I was watching a YouTube video where Coldoon was interviewing a mentally ill man in Somaliland, he was chained by his family and he lost the blood circulation in his leg, it had to be amputated. It is sad how Somalis back home treat people who are unwell really poorly.

I might be cursed out for saying this but I think all the famines that happen in Somalia are karma. They treat people who are different so poorly. If you treat people badly then karma will get you. If you don't respect people and treat them with dignity when they're not healthy then you're shitty.

That isn't exclusive to Somalis, mate.
But your point still stands. There really is a massive stigma against mental illness in the Somali community. Saying it's a shame would be an understatement.
I remember reading about a mentally ill man in Hargeisa that was chained up for over a decade (I'm reasonably sure he's still chained up) and that got my blood boiling too. It's infuriating how uninformed and negligent Somalis can be about their own people.

I know it's not just us but that doesn't make it any better.

Yes he'd have been fine if they invested in his drugs. There are many such stories across the peninsula. One man even lost his leg because he was chained up for so long.

I heard they throw stones and chase the mentally ill people in Somalia. I was watching a YouTube video where Coldoon was interviewing a mentally ill man in Somaliland, he was chained by his family and he lost the blood circulation in his leg, it had to be amputated. It is sad how Somalis back home treat people who are unwell really poorly.

I might be cursed out for saying this but I think all the famines that happen in Somalia are karma. They treat people who are different so poorly. If you treat people badly then karma will get you. If you don't respect people and treat them with dignity when they're not healthy then you're shitty.
I remember watching that. Broke my heart. Yes I heard about these kids throwing stones at the mentally ill. They did the same to me when I got chicken pox. Somalis always seem to pick on the weak and frail.

It might be inkaar Allahu aclam

The reason they're chained is because there is no other alternative in Somalia. No good/if any insane asylums. No doctors for mental illnesses as physically illness are seen as more important and "real". And religion plays a big part as mental illness are many times seen as jinni being in that person. They think prayer and Quran saar will heal their illness.

Gibiin-Udug

I remember watching that. Broke my heart. Yes I heard about these kids throwing stones at the mentally ill. They did the same to me when I got chicken pox. Somalis always seem to pick on the weak and frail.

It might be inkaar Allahu aclam
They really do pick on the weak. It's disgusting.

yasmin lan

Satans step daughter
Somalis are known for their lack of education and experience on mental illness that’s why it’s taboo in our community soon as someone is diagnosed with it they are shunned

ArchBishopofAtheism

Intellectual saqajaan
After 20,000+ discussions you're the first person to bring up the most relevant topic affecting Somalis. Good on you. It also doesn't say a lot of good the other users who made 20k+ threads about Madows. That's further confirmation of the prevelance of mental illness in the community.

The reason they're chained is because there is no other alternative in Somalia. No good/if any insane asylums. No doctors for mental illnesses as physically illness are seen as more important and "real". And religion plays a big part as mental illness are many times seen as jinni being in that person. They think prayer and Quran saar will heal their illness.

You can find medication for anything but mental illness in Somali pharmacies. We have a cultural issue with mental illness. We need to prioritise them. Quran saar can be calming for some but it shouldn't be used as a treatment.

After 20,000+ discussions you're the first person to bring up the most relevant topic affecting Somalis. Good on you. It also doesn't say a lot of good the other users who made 20k+ threads about Madows. That's further confirmation of the prevelance of mental illness in the community.
I was in psychiatric hospital with a lot of Somalis and even though I recovered they haven't because they have chronic illnesses and I see them being chaperoned by nurses years later. Their families never visited them and the girls left hospital to clean and cook as soon as they were allowed to.

Somalis are known for their lack of education and experience on mental illness that’s why it’s taboo in our community soon as someone is diagnosed with it they are shunned
Yes and that's why people hide it. This schizophrenic guy stopped taking his meds because he didn't want his wife to know and he ended up killing her when he became psychotic after a long period with out meds. Most mwntally ill are the victims of crime and not the perpetrators but this is one example of what can happen when you're pill shamed and have to hide your illness.

ArchBishopofAtheism

Intellectual saqajaan
I was in psychiatric hospital with a lot of Somalis and even though I recovered they haven't because they have chronic illnesses and I see them being chaperoned by nurses years later. Their families never visited them and the girls left hospital to clean and cook as soon as they were allowed to.
That is sad. I think this ignorant group think underlies all aspects of our culture and religion.

I just knew this thread wouldn't reach 3 pages. If I said Madows brought this upon us it would it be a platinum thread. I'm now more determined to do something about about the stigma in our community.

Gibiin-Udug

I just knew this thread wouldn't reach 3 pages. If I said Madows brought this upon us it would it be a platinum thread. I'm now more determined to do something about about the stigma in our community.
The members love drama and arguing with themselves.

If you want platinum thread include these keywords in the title and they will be like moths running to light.

Keywords

Ashy Abdi
Xalimo vs ashy Abdi
Xalimo marries Ajanabi
Faraax marries white woman
Habesha girls vs Somali girls
Black men vs Somali men
Reiko.

Yes I've included my nick.

The members love drama and arguing with themselves.

If you want platinum thread include these keywords in the title and they will be like moths running to light.

Keywords

Ashy Abdi
Xalimo vs ashy Abdi
Xalimo marries Ajanabi
Faraax marries white woman
Habesha girls vs Somali girls
Black men vs Somali men
Reiko.

Yes I've included my nick.

:liberaltears::liberaltears::liberaltears::liberaltears:

Status
Not open for further replies.