Marrying your dead brother's widow (Dumaal)

Status
Not open for further replies.

World

VIP
What do you guys think of Dumaal ?

If a wife's husband dies, then she marries his brother. Or if the wife dies, he marries her sister. It's very common with northern Somalis.

World

VIP
Do you know why people do this??
The widow and her children will be taken care of by someone they trust, instead of a stranger. Would you rather your child to be raised by your brother or another man who could abuse them?

Also all the wealth will be kept inside the family.

KREAM

"Can you bring equilibrium?"
The widow and her children will be taken care of by someone they trust, instead of a stranger. Would you rather your child to be raised by your brother or another man who could abuse them?

Also all the wealth will be kept inside the family.

I've always thought of it as a safety net as well to ensure the well-being of mother and child. It has logic behind it.

A noble tradition is seen as creepy but homosexuality is seen as progressive.

Well I can’t get jiggy with my dead husband’s brother loooool that’s just awkward.

Was that done to preserve the clan so the children grow up from the same lineage?

"One who cares for widows and the poor is like those who fight in the way of Allah or those who spend their days fasting and their nights praying." [Agreed upon, also in Adab al-Mufrad of Imaam Al-Bukhari in chapter "The Virtue of Those Who Care for Orphans"]

When it comes to giving charity it goes to those nearest in kin that are suffering, the same story with the orphan that is directly related to you through blood, you will fulfil both conditions of that hadith with dumaal

It's a pious noble practice that I would not hesitate to enact, the wife would be told the same if I happen to pass away first leaving orphans behind, after her iddah period she will marry one of my brothers.

Well I can’t get jiggy with my dead husband’s brother loooool that’s just awkward.

Was that done to preserve the clan so the children grow up from the same lineage?

So you would rather do it with someone that is completely alien to him unlikely to give a shit about his kids? and even go against his commands ?

Last edited:
I don’t like it, but is our culture so I respect it. I personally would never do it if my husband died

I don't see a problem with it. Its for protection. I know some people who are both brothers and cousins at the same time.

Gibiin-Udug

Crowned Queen of Puntland. Supporter of PuntExit
I think it's creepy, the kids are first cousins and siblings.

We need to leave that tradition behind. Plenty of men or women to marry.

It's also disrespectful to your spouse.

And don't bring the religion into this.

It's cultural practice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts