Learning Somali in Hargeisa?

Can anybody point me in the direction of a place I can learn Somali language in Hargeisa? Like a school/university/private or something.

Im an English speaker and my Somali is very poor, so I desperately want to learn it properly.

Can anybody point me in the direction of a place I can learn Somali language in Hargeisa? Like a school/university/private or something.

Im an English speaker and my Somali is very poor, so I desperately want to learn it properly.
There are several private schools that teach Arabic, Swahili, English, French, etc across Hargeisa. I don’t know if Somali is taught, but you can ask the private schools in the city center if they do.

Hybrid()

Death Awaits You
Hiring a private tutor that comes to your house every night is your best bet. I'm surprised you can't pick up somali in hargeisa. 2 deported ex cons I met in Djibouti were able to assimilate easily and became fluent in Somali in a matter of a year

Apollo

VIP
There are several private schools that teach Arabic, Swahili, English, French, etc across Hargeisa. I don’t know if Somali is taught, but you can ask the private schools in the city center if they do.

Learning Swahili is pointless. All educated Kenyans and Tanzanians speak English and in Uganda more people speak English than Swahili.

No cap, but Amharic is more useful for Somaliland.

Apollo

VIP
@Nilotic

Why your Nilote brothers bootyclapping for Swahili in Northern Uganda? Meanwhile Southern Ugandan (Bantu) don't learn nor like Swahili?

'' Swahili, a widely used language throughout the African Great Lakes region, was approved as the country's second official national language in 2005.[12][198] English was the only official language until the constitution was amended in 2005. Although Swahili has not been favoured by the Bantu-speaking populations of the south and south-west of the country, it is an important lingua franca in the northern regions. It is also widely used in the police and military forces, which may be a historical result of the disproportionate recruitment of northerners into the security forces during the colonial period. The status of Swahili has thus alternated with the political group in power.[199] For example, Idi Amin, who came from the north-west, declared Swahili to be the national language.[200] ''

:damn::russ:

Basra

LOVE is a product of Doqoniimo mixed with lust
Let Them Eat Cake
VIP
I want to learn Arabic. Can i learn it in one year crush course?

Basra

LOVE is a product of Doqoniimo mixed with lust
Let Them Eat Cake
VIP
Do you have an American English accent, a semi-fob accent like Ilhan Omar, or an outright fob habar accent?

I have an american accent but with a distinct English as a second language accent, verging over Uk Posh accent

Hiring a private tutor that comes to your house every night is your best bet. I'm surprised you can't pick up somali in hargeisa. 2 deported ex cons I met in Djibouti were able to assimilate easily and became fluent in Somali in a matter of a year
Is picking up Somali really that easy as people say? Im planning on going to Somalia next summer but my Somali is shit and think it'll be very embarrassing integrating when I can hardly understand anything

Is picking up Somali really that easy as people say? Im planning on going to Somalia next summer but my Somali is shit and think it'll be very embarrassing integrating when I can hardly understand anything
Spent 3 and a half years in Somalia bro. First half year was hard as hell due to language barriers. By the time I left I was having lengthy talks with elders sipping tea on the side road. Face your fears of standing out and make sure you learn whilst your there. Beforehand, make sure you only speak somali to family members until summer. Practise until then

AbdiFreedom

#Pierre4PM/End Mass Immigration to πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦ #DefundUN
Staff Member
Hehe. Have fun. The Somolion locals will call you Oromo if you don't speak Somali. They will diss you in ways you never thought of.

You can easily become fluent if you are there for 6 months by just being part of society and not staying in your room. But it will be 6 months of mental abuse.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Aurelian

Forza Somalia!
VIP
Hehe. Have fun. The Somolion locals will call you Oromo if you don't speak Somali. They will diss you in ways you never thought of.

You can easily become fluent if you are there for 6 months by just being part of society and not staying in your room. But it will be 6 months of mental abuse.

AbdiFreedom

Staff Member

I have deen. Who told you I am an atheist? Or do Muslims now say atheists and Christians are the same? Lol @ me being Oromo. @Nilotic another example for you.

Most Somalis born and raised here can't speak Somali. They can understand it but can speak beginner Somali at best.

I have deen. Who told you I am an atheist? Or do Muslims now say atheists and Christians are the same? Lol @ me being Oromo. @Nilotic another example for you.

Most Somalis born and raised here can't speak Somali. They can understand it but can speak beginner Somali at best.
Realized this too and wonder if it's a thing among all diaspora or just Somalis. I'm friends with a Vietnamese kid born and raised here in the U.S and he can fluently speak the language, likewise with people from other ethnicities. Yet the only Somalis that know the language from personal experience are fobs and older dudes (late 20s early 30s)

Aurelian

Forza Somalia!
VIP
Or do Muslims now say atheists and Christians are the same?

Iyago dhan waa gaalo

Camping All That GIF by Nickelodeon

AbdiFreedom

Staff Member
Realized this too and wonder if it's a thing among all diaspora or just Somalis. I'm friends with a Vietnamese kid born and raised here in the U.S and he can fluently speak the language, likewise with people from other ethnicities. Yet the only Somalis that know the language from personal experience are fobs and older dudes (late 20s early 30s)

I don't understand it either. The Somalis in Europe can speak at an intermediate level. I am a Hafiz but I can't speak any Somali. Very weird.

@Nilotic

Why your Nilote brothers bootyclapping for Swahili in Northern Uganda? Meanwhile Southern Ugandan (Bantu) don't learn nor like Swahili?

'' Swahili, a widely used language throughout the African Great Lakes region, was approved as the country's second official national language in 2005.[12][198] English was the only official language until the constitution was amended in 2005. Although Swahili has not been favoured by the Bantu-speaking populations of the south and south-west of the country, it is an important lingua franca in the northern regions. It is also widely used in the police and military forces, which may be a historical result of the disproportionate recruitment of northerners into the security forces during the colonial period. The status of Swahili has thus alternated with the political group in power.[199] For example, Idi Amin, who came from the north-west, declared Swahili to be the national language.[200] ''

:damn::russ:

Come on, Apollo... those Northern Ugandan Nilotes are only linguistically Nilotic at this point; most of them have mixed so extensively with the surrounding Bantu tribes that we barely recognise them as kin; they eat bush-meat, have sensual dances and practice 'magic' for goodness sake.

The original Acholi of South Sudan (offshoots of the Anyuak) number in the tens of thousands in the homeland while their Ugandan counterparts have millions of members; these Nilotes are to us what Turks in Turkey are to the original Turks in Central Asia.

The Dinka-Nuer and Shilluk even go so far as to regard the Nilotes in Central Equatoria as half-castes due to their non-Nilotic practices, so Nilotes outside Greater Sudan are mostly a non-starter.

Idi Amin was from the Karo Confederacy, but the ones in Uganda have very little Nilotic heritage.

Apollo

VIP
Come on, Apollo... those Northern Ugandan Nilotes are only linguistically Nilotic at this point; most of them have mixed so extensively with the surrounding Bantu tribes that we barely recognise them as kin; they eat bush-meat, have sensual dances and practice 'magic' for goodness sake.

The original Acholi of South Sudan (offshoots of the Anyuak) number in the tens of thousands in the homeland while their Ugandan counterparts have millions of members; these Nilotes are to us what Turks in Turkey are to the original Turks in Central Asia.

The Dinka-Nuer and Shilluk even go so far as to regard the Nilotes in Central Equatoria as half-castes due to their non-Nilotic practices, so Nilotes outside Greater Sudan are mostly a non-starter.

Idi Amin was from the Karo Confederacy, but the ones in Uganda have very little Nilotic heritage.

There are some real ethnic Nilotes in Northern Uganda though, not all of them are language shifters like the Luo of Western Kenya.

There is a Ugandan Nilote guy who posts on anthrogenica, dunno his ethnicity, but he seems quite similar to the South Sudanese. I think some real Nilotes live there.

Apollo

VIP
I don't understand it either. The Somalis in Europe can speak at an intermediate level. I am a Hafiz but I can't speak any Somali. Very weird.

brah, you are making yourself look stupid.

Somali is an easy language. It isn't even that hard.

I took French for many years in school and it honestly gives me a bigger headache reading French text while reading Somali text I can read and understand it much faster.

Trending

Latest posts