Learning Somali in Hargeisa?

AbdiFreedom

Staff Member
brah, you are making yourself look stupid.

Somali is an easy language. It isn't even that hard.

I took French for many years in school and it honestly gives me a bigger headache reading French text while reading Somali text I can read and understand it much faster.

I am bilingual and I can also read Ayrab and Somali.

Didn't say Somali was easy or hard. It's just a language I was not interested in learning.

There are some real ethnic Nilotes in Northern Uganda though, not all of them are language shifters like the Luo of Western Kenya.

There is a Ugandan Nilote guy who posts on anthrogenica, dunno his ethnicity, but he seems quite similar to the South Sudanese. I think some real Nilotes live there.

I'm thrilled that there are actual Nilotes in Uganda, so I'll have to look into it; once we get our act together, I would love to have them as citizens without reservations; and as soon as full Nilotes establish complete control over all the essential-lucrative industries and sectors of the economy... I would be open to having at least a million people from East and Central Africa.

I also envision using our water resources to provide water to the Turkana and the Darfurians-Chadians.

Look at this environmental eye sore in Darfur

800px-Sudan_Envoy_-_Darfur_from_above.jpg

:susp::hova::stressed:

Apollo

VIP
I had no choice. I was forced as a child.

How did you learn the Koran if you can't read Ayrab?

I did learn it, but honestly forgot it except the very basics like the alif, rest looks like gibberish to me.

Probably can read Cyrillic better. :lol:

PS. When I meant read Somali, I didn't mean the pronunciations of stuff like X and C, but actually understanding it.

Can anybody point me in the direction of a place I can learn Somali language in Hargeisa? Like a school/university/private or something.

Im an English speaker and my Somali is very poor, so I desperately want to learn it properly.
I don't know about schools but just speaking to your hoyoo, ayeeyo etc will make your somali better. the best way to learn a language or become fluent is by interacting with the people who speak that language. always ask them "what does this mean" when they say something that confuses you.

Basra

LOVE is a product of Doqoniimo mixed with lust
Let Them Eat Cake
VIP
Is picking up Somali really that easy as people say? Im planning on going to Somalia next summer but my Somali is shit and think it'll be very embarrassing integrating when I can hardly understand anything

WHY did u pick this?

1641101902190.png

Dhagaxdheer

Adal State
Learning Swahili is pointless. All educated Kenyans and Tanzanians speak English and in Uganda more people speak English than Swahili.

No cap, but Amharic is more useful for Somaliland.
That's the case in Kenya and Uganda but Tanzanians speak Swahili everywhere even in education thanks to Nyerere

Dhagaxdheer

Adal State
I'm thrilled that there are actual Nilotes in Uganda, so I'll have to look into it; once we get our act together, I would love to have them as citizens without reservations; and as soon as full Nilotes establish complete control over all the essential-lucrative industries and sectors of the economy... I would be open to having at least a million people from East and Central Africa.

I also envision using our water resources to provide water to the Turkana and the Darfurians-Chadians.

Look at this environmental eye sore in Darfur

View attachment 210736

:susp::hova::stressed:
Idi Amin was one :mjlaugh:

:yacadiim: his army was mostly South Sudanese

His people likely dominated the army, but they weren't South Sudanese because they left us centuries ago and mixed with the people of Uganda.

I wouldn't be surprised if they (like Kenyan Luos) are only 30% Nilotic at this point.

Grigori Rasputin

Former Somali Minister of Mismanagement & Misinfo.
Staff Member
Wariyaha SomaliSpot
Hehe. Have fun. The Somolion locals will call you Oromo if you don't speak Somali. They will diss you in ways you never thought of.

You can easily become fluent if you are there for 6 months by just being part of society and not staying in your room. But it will be 6 months of mental abuse.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

I am gutted to agree with the defiant one.

He/ she (he sometimes thinks he is a female)! Is right. Just be there for 6 months and you’ll be fluent.

Come on, Apollo... those Northern Ugandan Nilotes are only linguistically Nilotic at this point; most of them have mixed so extensively with the surrounding Bantu tribes that we barely recognise them as kin; they eat bush-meat, have sensual dances and practice 'magic' for goodness sake.

The original Acholi of South Sudan (offshoots of the Anyuak) number in the tens of thousands in the homeland while their Ugandan counterparts have millions of members; these Nilotes are to us what Turks in Turkey are to the original Turks in Central Asia.

The Dinka-Nuer and Shilluk even go so far as to regard the Nilotes in Central Equatoria as half-castes due to their non-Nilotic practices, so Nilotes outside Greater Sudan are mostly a non-starter.

Idi Amin was from the Karo Confederacy, but the ones in Uganda have very little Nilotic heritage.
They look very nilotic tho
And Bantus and nilotes in uganda didnt mix that much actually. Most were seperated by the nile and lake kyoga, they didnt go beyond it and stayed in their own areas. only the ones in eastern uganda bordering kenya mixed alot cus they shared a land border.

Trending